Jeff Tweedy - Letters To Santa - 7/24/2010

There was a hint at another residency sometime. But not in Chicago.

Also at more of the "Evening with Wilco" shows, thought Jeff said they were really tiring. The shows this spring came off the heels of another tour and Jeff said they were hard to do.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for your congrats. The VC community is a great place. Kevin, thank you for picking me early on...just as you were able to enjoy the rest of the show after playing with Jeff, I was able to settle a bit after proposing to Kathy.

After this I looked to my wife and raised my eyebrows as to insinuate her morning breath and very sleepy kisses. She then slapped me in the chest hard enough that Jeff said "Wow". I told him I have bad morning breath, thinking I was making a funny and he would chuckle. No such luck. He just looked at me and said, "Um....thanks for sharing that." :hmm

:rotfl

That has to go down as one of the classic moments of LRS history. Did she leave a bruise?

I'm with Donna, some photos would be great! I heard Hil did a great job with Someday Soon! Alright Hilary! Rock it! oxoxo

Reading these threads is the next best thing to being there...the happiness just pops right off the forum page! Congrats to the newly-engaged couple, who have such a fun, romantic story to share with their families and friends! :cheers

Matt-the-Z, having heard your beautiful take on Everlasting Everything, I'm sure you were wonderful and added to the evening's enjoyment!

More photos would be terrific! :thumbup

Another memorable Jeff quip: After I told him how I used "Theologians" to teach Whitman and Dickinson to high schoolers, he responded, with a raised eyebrow, that I ought to teach Little Richard instead.

One thing that was very sweeet was Jeff shared a comment his son made about 9/11 -- his Mom came to get him at school that day -- it came up in the context of "Everlasting Everything" and sort of the spiritual nature of those lyrics...Does anyone remember exactly what his son said? If nobody does I can try winging it from my memory, but I have a feeling one of you can recall it verbatim ;)

Also, Jeff said something about not giving a sh*t about his music being called "Dad Rock" or whatever -- he wouldn't trade the experience of his wife & kids in his life for anything! :)

Also, Jeff said something about not giving a sh*t about his music being called "Dad Rock" or whatever -- he wouldn't trade the experience of his wife & kids in his life for anything! :)

That was in response to Tweedling's moving request for "Magazine Called Sunset," which included a sincere thanks for Jeff Tweedy being a great father and husband as well as a great songwriter. Jeff said that his critics who call him "dad rock" should be so lucky to one day be a dad, or something along those lines.

David and Anna are about my favorite people in the whole world and it was so good to see you after a year of absence and I promise I will play my steel guitar for you before I die.

Thanks Ken. That means a lot to both of us. We've decided the next time we come to the Chicago area, we'd love to meet up with you.

As for the possible bruise, She smacks me enough I've actually developed somewhat of a callous! :stunned

One thing that was very sweeet was Jeff shared a comment his son made about 9/11 -- his Mom came to get him at school that day -- it came up in the context of "Everlasting Everything" and sort of the spiritual nature of those lyrics...Does anyone remember exactly what his son said? If nobody does I can try winging it from my memory, but I have a feeling one of you can recall it verbatim ;)

His son said he thought it was a good thing that things can break. Because if things never broke then bad things would last forever.

I'm not sure that's exactly what he said but that is VERY close. I was hesitant to post it for fear of screwing up what is a profound statement.

He threw San Francisco out there.
And we were like, "NooOOOOooooo...." Don't think anybody in our group came from there...HA!

Yeah, this probably would have gone over a lot better in our group. :dancing

I mentioned to Jeff when we were done playing the song that my 2 yr old son and I sing it every night before bed. Jeff said that was sweet and that it's a pretty heavy song. I think someone from the crowd yelled out that it's a depressing song, and Jeff disagreed. He then told the story of how his son came home from school soon after 9/11 and said that he had learned in school that "everything is capable of being destroyed." Jeff asked him if he thought that was a good thing or a bad thing. His son said that he thought it was a good thing, because if not, "bad things would go on forever."

Given the reason I chose to play that song (the connection I've formed with my son and the song), and given my connection to 9/11 (I used to work in those "buildings built to the sky"), it was a pretty emotional moment for me. :lol

Innnteresting. These are listed as boys socks. So Jeff either has small feet or they come in mens sizes as well.

Regardless, I kinda want a pair of these now. But I'm supposed to STOP SHOPPING! What's a boyfoot sized girl to do?

I'm pretty sure we would have noticed if Jeff had teeny feet by now. :lol

And I guess I'm not helping you stop shopping, but there are men's sizes. Click here. These are some crazy socks!

Idle question re sound system:-

I have always wondered if this is necessary given the cosy venues for the living room shows. Is it just for the sake of taping (not that I want to open up that usual can of worms once more!) or JT prefers not to strain his voice any more than necessary to make himself heard over you 'damned talkers' :P :monkey . I'm just thinking it would be nice to have a complete 'show' without any electrics involved, but maybe that's just me. Has there been one like that I wonder ...

P.S. Usual thanks for sharing experiences from these private affairs etc. :cheers

This show was very real, I can prove that. I don't think electricity or anything else other than Jeff is needed for this to be a real show. Jeff was just about as real as it gets. Maybe he'll do it your way next time he's passing through Lancaster. I will sit and watch Jeff play no matter what, hi-fi or lo-fi, it's a lucky day when that happens.

I mentioned to Jeff when we were done playing the song that my 2 yr old son and I sing it every night before bed. Jeff said that was sweet and that it's a pretty heavy song. I think someone from the crowd yelled out that it's a depressing song, and Jeff disagreed. He then told the story of how his son came home from school soon after 9/11 and said that he had learned in school that "everything is capable of being destroyed." Jeff asked him if he thought that was a good thing or a bad thing. His son said that he thought it was a good thing, because if not, "bad things would go on forever."

Given the reason I chose to play that song (the connection I've formed with my son and the song), and given my connection to 9/11 (I used to work in those "buildings built to the sky"), it was a pretty emotional moment for me. :lol

Oh Matt, wow! That's a great song to use as a bedtime-type prayer. Wonderful. Thank you for recapping...that's exactly how I remembered it. And thanks for telling us about your full connection to that song and working in the Twin Towers, etc. I'd like to post the lyrics to that tune for you, Matt, for you and the fam:

Everything alive must die

Every building built to the sky will fall

Don�t try to tell me my

Everlasting love is a lie

Everlasting everything

Oh nothing could mean anything at all

Every wave that hits the shore

Every book that I adore

Gone like a circus, gone like a troubadour

Everlasting love for ever more

Oh I know this might sound sad

But everything goes both good and the bad

It all adds up and you should be glad

Everlasting love is all you have

Yeah, this probably would have gone over a lot better in our group. :dancing

yeah and honestly i'd be very happy for you all...nothing wrong with spreading the love a little... :wub

its only a dream for me. you all are so lucky.

If it's any consolation, hazel, I don't think the 'being lucky' part was lost on a single soul that night. I hope you get it too someday! I mean that most sincerely!

I'm pretty sure we would have noticed if Jeff had teeny feet by now. :lol

And I guess I'm not helping you stop shopping, but there are men's sizes. Click here. These are some crazy socks!

You guys are making me majorly LOL regarding the sox... :lol

Indeed! Such a tease.

New York (Radio City) was also thrown out there as a possible residency spot for us East Coasters which I applauded :thumbup

This LR show was truly a once in a lifetime, amazing experience. Getting to play Someday Soon with Jeff was something I can't even say I ever even imagined and I was so nervous I could barely feel my fingers. I am kicking myself got not practicing more than just the day before that I did. Oh well, I am a procrastinator...

Listening back to it though, a highlight for me (which I didn't even realize when it happened I was so caught up in the moment) is the part where Jeff goofed up and said, "sorry, it sounds so good". I looked at him and said sort of simultaneously, "I got no backup for you, you wrote it" :P

I thought all the play/sing alongs were fantastic and think it must've been a record for LR shows. Still havent come down from the high.

Huge thanks to Erik and Maureen for hosting and Wendy for your hard work in pulling the show together - an experience I will treasue for the rest of my life.

I had a blast meeting everyone and look forward to seeing you all out on the road :cheers

More show trivia: I checked out the Sunrise pickups website, recalling that Jeff said in his discussion of pickups and miking acoustic guitars that the guy is like a surfer (or skiier?) who takes orders until he has enough to go do that for the rest of the year - and sure enough the website has barely any info on it. www.elderly.com sells them.

http://www.sunrisepickups.com/

Also, I thought we should note that Jeff was seemed to allude that Wilco's proprietary knowledge as to how to properly mike an acoustic guitar was quite sought after in the industry - I think he said something to the effect that they get calls like from other artists on tour, e.g., Sheryl Crow, on how Wilco is doing it. He also offered that if you are using only one mike or pickup on a guitar you are not getting all of the sound, and much is needed to get the right sound (picturing a huge array of vintage and cutting edge microphones, internal and sound hole mounted pickups, and complex, mad aural scientist lossless digital recording algorithms, all aligned in a perfect combination to make an acoustic guitar sound completely natural.) The waters clearly run deep at Wilco HQ, with no stone left unturned, pondered and then skipped over the surface of a smooth lake, just to see how many times it touches the water before sinking.

• 2 weeks later...

No secret story or anything. Just that some lines in "New Madrid" are based on true facts about the destructive earthquake that happened in New Madrid, MO, in the 1800's, and the man, a Mr. Browning, who created a stir by making predictions in the 1990's about another earthquake in New Madrid.