Jeff Tweedy - Letters To Santa - 7/24/2010

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an incredible show. So many rare songs! Jeff & Susan cannot be thanked enough for being so good to the charity and so good to the fans.

We were lucky people last night. The rain stayed away. The hosts Maureen & Erik and family were superb and entertained us royally ... unending thanks to them for their generosity. :worship Seriously, everything was so absolutely perfect!

There were 17 in our group who were newbies witnessing a charity fundraiser living room show for the first but hopefully not last time. The "awe" quotient was extremely high. But without their generosity to Letters to Santa, and the returning folks for their continued support, there would be no show, so ultimate thanks to all for donating, and of course everyone involved in making it come off so beautifully, especially Edie & Warner :cheekkiss

I'm hoping some of you more Wilco/JT historically talented folk will update me on the "last time played" stats.

(Edit 11/25/2010: OK, this setlist is now in correct order played.)

1. Intro

2. Someday Soon (with Hil)

3. We've Been Had

4. Wishful Thinking

5. The Ruling Class

6. She's A Jar (with Kevin 'Dude')

7. Someday Some Morning Sometime (The Proposal!)

8. Blue Eyed Soul

9. Please Be Patient With Me

10. You And I

11. The Thanks I Get

12. Less Than You Think

13. New Madrid (with Kevin McL)

14. (Butterfly) So Much Wine (Handsome Family cover)

15. Everlasting Everything (with MattZ)

16. Either Way

17. Radio King

18. Summerteeth

19. When You Wake Up Feeling Old

20. California Stars (with Karen)

21. One Wing

22. You Are Not Alone (JT penned for Mavis Staples)

23. A Magazine Called Sunset

24. ELT

25. Pecan Pie

26. Flatness (Uncle Tupelo)

27. Airline To Heaven

28. Secret Of The Sea

29. You Were Wrong

30. Far Far Away

31. Gun

32. Nothing Up My Sleeve (live debut!)

33. Walken

34. I Wanna Be Your Dog (Stooges song covered by Uncle Tupelo)

35. In Christ There Is No East or West (hymn, on Mavis Staples' album)

36. Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover, with Kevin McL)

:cheers

My girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to attend last night and would like to thank everyone that put in time for the rest of us to enjoy this incredible evening!

Jeff and Sue, your thoughtless generosity will never be forgotten.

Wendy, your countless hours spent making sure the rest of us have unforgettable memories, thank you so much.

Maureen, Erik, Alex and Sylvie you have a beautiful home, neighborhood and you were the best of hosts.

Warner, thank you for making sure this LRS sounded so good, thanks “roadie Mark – Jeff and Sue’s oldest son” as well!

My fiancé! Kathy for saying “yes” to my marriage proposal after Jeff was gracious to dedicate and play “Somebody, Some Morning, Some Time” for us.

And lastly to everyone we met last night, thank you for sharing this event with us! You are ALL great people that made for the perfect atmosphere and should be thanked for your generosity to Second City as well.

Oh, it is my dream to get to attend one of these shows. How wonderful for all of you who were able to go!

I know we won't get to actually hear this show, but I'm hoping someone posts--or links to--some pictures of the event soon. Then we can just use our collective imaginations to put together songs and images and dream of having the opportunity to be there in person one day.

Thanks for the memories shared so far--looking forward to reading more about this. . ..

Tremendous show -- Jeff was so "on", I suppose he should always have time in the studio before doing one of these :lol.

Maureen's hospitality was fantastic and as always, Wendy, your super organization really paid off. So great to see old friends and so many new. "The Proposal" was really wonderful and as Jeff pointed out, it was good that "She's a Jar" had already been played.

One thing I did notice was that there was not a single song from YHF played, and only one from AGIB. Next year I vote for the drone!

That was an incredible night! I really can't get over it. Jeff and Sue's stamina, patience, generosity and grace were really impressive. I don't know how they do it. Thanks to everyone for putting it together.

Loved hearing far far away, so much wine, elt, new madrid.... the whole enchilada...loved seeing people play with Jeff... The wish you were here sing along at the end was indescribable...Even with the amazing setlist, there were 20 more songs I'd love to hear...amazing artist, that jeffro

Nice choices, everybody! "Flatness" was actually Sir bböp's request at the SnS show last year, but I don't think I've ever heard of "Nothing Up My Sleeve" being played. Good to know it's possible, for future reference. :) And congratulations to ditty and fiance!

Nice choices, everybody! "Flatness" was actually Sir bböp's request at the SnS show last year, but I don't think I've ever heard of "Nothing Up My Sleeve" being played. Good to know it's possible, for future reference. :) And congratulations to ditty and fiance!

Ahhh, ok. Thanks, Brianne! I should have searched VC, it would have shown up. I know I searched over at wilcobase for it, and nothing came up. Apparently the LR shows are not included in Wilcobase?

My girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to attend last night and would like to thank everyone that put in time for the rest of us to enjoy this incredible evening!

My fiancé! Kathy for saying “yes” to my marriage proposal after Jeff was gracious to dedicate and play “Somebody, Some Morning, Some Time” for us.

Congrats you guys! :thumbup

Hope to see you at a show around here soon.

What an incredible show.

Wendy,

Sounds like you all have pulled off yet another fantastic evening. That's just a great set of songs.

35. Wish You Were Here

Indeed...

Amazing night. Great getting up to play and harmonize on She's a Jar with The Man and not completely sucking in the process. :blink Unforgettable experience.

Ditty / Matt - had no idea you were proposing. Randomly picked you just because you were sitting there and seemed like you wanted to be picked. :blush In retrospect, I'm probably one of the few people who didn't know.

Maureen & family - amazing job hosting, fantastic location to have these things. And I've been to a few of these.

Great seeing Heather & Russ, Edie, Wendy, Warner, Beltmann, Jules, Ken D, Matt Z, Tweedling & Mrs. Tweedling, Gewee, Greg, Matt & Kathy, Beth, the Tweedy entourage and everyone else. Here's to many more hopefully - there is a glimmer of hope that it will be done again down the road.

Dude, you got to play along! :cheers Nice. It sounds like an awesome experience, and engagement stories don't get much better than that.

Wendy (or Edie), wasn't Nothing Up My Sleeve requested at your show last year? But not played/not remembered? I was going to request it at the Vic shows this year but someone recounted the request happening at your show. Anyway, kudos to whomever went after it again. What a treat to hear!

Hey, Maureen here. Would just like to say BIG THANKS again to all who came and supported this worthy charity. It's wonderful and generous of The Tweedys to give of their time this way. And a special thanks to Wendy, whose work begins even before the auction and goes continuously up to Show time...THANK YOU! We loved hosting (ours was the fun job!). An amazing evening was had by all...It came and went so quickly -- kind of hard to believe it's over. The music was just fabulous, really, I can't think of anything I would have wanted to happen differently. Such a fantastic group of dedicated fans. Warner worked tirelessly setting up that sound system, big thanks to him for his expertise and hard work. A truly magical evening!

Idle question re sound system:-

I have always wondered if this is necessary given the cosy venues for the living room shows. Is it just for the sake of taping (not that I want to open up that usual can of worms once more!) or JT prefers not to strain his voice any more than necessary to make himself heard over you 'damned talkers' :P :monkey . I'm just thinking it would be nice to have a complete 'show' without any electrics involved, but maybe that's just me. Has there been one like that I wonder ...

P.S. Usual thanks for sharing experiences from these private affairs etc. :cheers

Wendy (or Edie), wasn't Nothing Up My Sleeve requested at your show last year? But not played/not remembered? I was going to request it at the Vic shows this year but someone recounted the request happening at your show. Anyway, kudos to whomever went after it again. What a treat to hear!

Yes. Some guy has been requesting it for awhile, despite Jeff obviously not wanting to play it. Jeff legitimately didn't remember the song when asked about it by said guy. Jeff finally gave in to the persistent freak this year though, and it was incredible. :ninja It sounded like Jeff had been playing it for years.

I'm just thinking it would be nice to have a complete 'show' without any electrics involved, but maybe that's just me. Has there been one like that I wonder ...

Well, that's pretty much the SnS show. The second year we had a big sound setup, but subsequently didn't think it worked as well with our show's vibe. Last year, due to a variety of factors, we had no mikes or anything. Voice strain can be a concern - I think it's been raised before, and the last thing anybody wants to do is cause a problem for Jeff - but it seemed to work out okay. There are obviously lots of benefits to having a quality sound setup, both for performer and audience.

I also wanted to ask which songs (besides "She's a Jar") included other people accompanying Jeff? Being able to do that is so cool.

By "incredible," do you people mean there was harmonized whistling on "Nothing Up My Sleeve"? Any whistling? Please?

Jeff whistled!! We whistled along a bit in unison. Or tried to at least.

Yes. Some guy has been requesting it for awhile, despite Jeff obviously not wanting to play it. Jeff legitimately didn't remember the song when asked about it by said guy. Jeff finally gave in to the persistent freak this year though, and it was incredible. :ninja It sounded like Jeff had been playing it for years.

I'm so glad you kept requesting, Chris. Persistence pays off...

Guest Speed Racer

We whistled along a bit in unison. Or tried to at least.

That right there is what makes the demo recording so awesome. Glad to hear you were able to recreate the experience!

The PA was requested by Jeff. I think he prefers it. I think it really helps the experience.

Maureen's basement was perfect acoustically and shape-wise so that no one was far away, which is hard to do anyway with 30 people.

Well, that's pretty much the SnS show. Last year, due to a variety of factors, we had no mikes or anything.

The PA was requested by Jeff. I think he prefers it. I think it really helps the experience.

Ta very much.

Still cannot believe I had the good fortune of laying on a couch while Mr. Tweedy serenaded me from less than 10 feet away. Wink, wink.

Thanks to the wonderful hosts, Wendy (I love you!) and everyone who offered encouragement re: my stupid disc.

Just...wow.