Jeff Tweedy - Letters To Santa - 7/24/2010

Well, that's pretty much the SnS show. The second year we had a big sound setup, but subsequently didn't think it worked as well with our show's vibe. Last year, due to a variety of factors, we had no mikes or anything. Voice strain can be a concern - I think it's been raised before, and the last thing anybody wants to do is cause a problem for Jeff - but it seemed to work out okay. There are obviously lots of benefits to having a quality sound setup, both for performer and audience.

I also wanted to ask which songs (besides "She's a Jar") included other people accompanying Jeff? Being able to do that is so cool.

My brother who bought a ticket and flew in from Philadelphia area accompanied Jeff on "New Madrid" on mandolin. And he also played guitar w/Jeff on "Wish You Were Here." Another female guest played guitar & harmonica and sang with Jeff to "California Stars." I'll let others chime in on the other 2 who played (besides Dude). It was a nice balance of some crowd participation but not too much. There was definitely some singing along and, yes, whistling! :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a show. Still recovering. The entire set was great, and Jeff seemed to enjoy himself. Yes, as Blossom said, I was honored to shake the dust off the Duff F-5 mandolin on "New Madrid," and to join Jeff on the "everyone's a fan tonight" trip down Memory Lane shout-out to all those fans who could not be present, "Wish You Were Here." I think we were fairly convinced beforehand that there was not a snowball's chance in Hades that Jeff would actually play it. But as a closer, it had sort of a Heavy Metal Drummer-esque, nostalgic feel to it, with a tinge of sad realization that this incredible show would soon be ending. Call it a guilty pleasure, junk food dessert, after a gourmet meal.

Karen played a Gibson J-45 on California Stars and also the harmonica (on her very own personal rack that I think she lent to Jeff for a song when his blew out before "She's A Jar" - hang onto that rack, Karen!) And Hill played the guitar and some lead with Jeff on a song early on, as the first to play (he was brave!)

Kudos to Wendy, Maureen and Erik, Warner, and the Tweedys, and all the other terrific folks in attendance that made this show so special.

i dont even know where to start. the usual superlatives fall flat.

It was a blast all around. The highlights were too many to mention, but I'll list a few.

1. being in a room with 30 other folks where a pin could drop and you'd hear it accompany Jeff Tweedy.

2. seeing old friends again, meeting old friends for the first time (Beltmann!), making new friends.

3. being there in prior years for the Nothing Up My Sleeve requests and being there for the payoff.

4. sneaking up to the stage with Tweedling during the set break and lightly running our fingers over the strings on the guitars while they sat on their stands so that we could claim we "played" Jeff Tweedy's guitars.

5. performing a tune with Jeff that I sing to my 2 yr old son every night before bed.

6. learning that everlasting everything is Bill Fay's favorite song on the album.

7. "open up this is a raid"

8. someday, some morning, sometime segued into a marriage proposal.

9. I am not sure which mystery I've solved because he's got so many damn guitars, but yes, that is an 00-21NY. he's got an 00-21 at home too, but he told me that he doesnt take that one out to play often.

10. he's back to the sunrise pickups.

I will list more as they come to me. My head is still spinning.

It was a blast all around. The highlights were too many to mention, but I'll list a few.

1. being in a room with 30 other folks where a pin could drop and you'd hear it accompany Jeff Tweedy.

2. seeing old friends again, meeting old friends for the first time (Beltmann!), making new friends.

3. being there in prior years for the Nothing Up My Sleeve requests and being there for the payoff.

4. sneaking up to the stage with Tweedling during the set break and lightly running our fingers over the strings on the guitars while they sat on their stands so that we could claim we "played" Jeff Tweedy's guitars.

5. performing a tune with Jeff that I sing to my 2 yr old son every night before bed.

6. learning that everlasting everything is Bill Fay's favorite song on the album.

9. I am not sure which mystery I've solved because he's got so many damn guitars, but yes, that is an 00-21NY. he's got an 00-21 at home too, but he told me that he doesnt take that one out to play often.

:worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship

Matt Z!!!!! Once again you've hit it right on the head!

I've also been to a few of these fantastic shows and I can honestly say it always gets better! I will now bring up some highlights to add to the already strong list of Matt's.

1. The owner of The Frye Company, maker of Frye boots, loves Wilco and sends boots/shoes to "Jeff quite often. Including the dapper pair of wing tip shoes he was wearing.

2. Jeff has a large collection of puppet socks that he wears quite often, including this night.

3. I have to mention the proposal. When Matt proposed to Kathy he said, "Your love is like music to my soul." :wub

4. Jeff explaining what he thought a sleepy kisser was.

5. The story behind New Madrid.

6. Hearing, In Christ There Is No East Or West. An absolutely beautiful song. I know hearing Jeff sing it made it that much sweeter.

7. The great job of whistling support we did. He should consider taking us on the road with him.

I've been asking my wife for help with listing more. The event was very special to me for a number of reasons and I suppose thinking back on the evening keeps it close. I'll always have the memories, Thank You Jeff and Sue. (I believe I heard him call her Susie) :)

Also big thank you to Wendy, Edie (I like the new "do") and Erik and Maureen.

I hope there's a "next time" :cryin

My fiancé! Kathy for saying “yes” to my marriage proposal after Jeff was gracious to dedicate and play “Somebody, Some Morning, Some Time” for us.

I was sitting immediately next to Kathy. After the song finished, Matt started to kneel and I said to myself: "Holy Shit, he's going to propose to her; I'd better get out of here FAST" (as the flashbulbs began to pop). I retreated back to Sue and Mark by the pinball machine and waited until I was sure I wouldn't spoil their perfect moment with pictures of my ugly mug in the background. :P

I was sitting immediately next to Kathy. After the song finished, Matt started to kneel and I said to myself: "Holy Shit, he's going to propose to her; I'd better get out of here FAST" (as the flashbulbs began to pop). I retreated back to Sue and Mark by the pinball machine and waited until I was sure I wouldn't spoil their perfect moment with pictures of my ugly mug in the background. :P

Anna and I noticed that. Very thoughtful Ken. Not that your mug is ugly........you know what I mean. :lol

So what is a sleepy kisser anyway?

That really was the question of the evening.

So good to see so many of my pals! Edie and Wendy :cheekkiss :cheekkiss David and Anna are about my favorite people in the whole world and it was so good to see you after a year of absence and I promise I will play my steel guitar for you before I die. Maureen came to our show last year, but it was so good to meet Erik and see your lovely home. Too many people to thank, not the least of which being Sue and Jeff who did a remarkable show after recording all day (although I was a little miffed he wouldn't give us a hint of what they were doing after two requests :brow ) Oh well....

What a show. Still recovering. The entire set was great, and Jeff seemed to enjoy himself. Yes, as Blossom said, I was honored to shake the dust off the Duff F-5 mandolin on "New Madrid," and to join Jeff on the "everyone's a fan tonight" trip down Memory Lane shout-out to all those fans who could not be present, "Wish You Were Here." I think we were fairly convinced beforehand that there was not a snowball's chance in Hades that Jeff would actually play it. But as a closer, it had sort of a Heavy Metal Drummer-esque, nostalgic feel to it, with a tinge of sad realization that this incredible show would soon be ending. Call it a guilty pleasure, junk food dessert, after a gourmet meal.

Karen played a Gibson J-45 on California Stars and also the harmonica (on her very own personal rack that I think she lent to Jeff for a song when his blew out before "She's A Jar" - hang onto that rack, Karen!) And Hill played the guitar and some lead with Jeff on a song early on, as the first to play (he was brave!)

Kudos to Wendy, Maureen and Erik, Warner, and the Tweedys, and all the other terrific folks in attendance that made this show so special.

Great performances by everyone!!! I did not realize this group had so much closet talent. Karen was stressing to me in the kitchen before the show and I told her: (1) Jeff is incredibly gracious and not the least bit intimidating; (2) after the first two chords, everything you do will be perfect; (3) nothing will go the way you planned it, so don't even expect that; and (4) [as Jeff actually advised Kevin], get it out of the way early, becasue you will enjoy the show so much more :lol

Jeff used Karen's harmonica rack because his guitar tech had apparently vice-gripped one end of his with pliars at a wierd angle, so he handed it to me and said: "You're strong, Ken.... We're all watching." When it was apparent that Hercules couldn't remedy the problem bare handed, Karen said: "I've got a rack!" which drew a huge laugh from the audience.

What a show.

It was great meeting you, "The Other" Kevin! There's lots of pics of you on Facebook, some of which I took, which Maureen can hook you up with if you're not already on there.

Wish You Were Here was pretty phenomenal, that Jeff put effort into figuring out the solo shows he takes these shindigs pretty seriously. :yes

4. Jeff explaining what he thought a sleepy kisser was.

OK, it's killing me. I've always thought that was just the sexiest line EVER and I have got to know--what did he say?? Pretty please, someone??

And thank you, ditty, for that incredible picture. Love it!

OK, it's killing me. I've always thought that was just the sexiest line EVER and I have got to know--what did he say?? Pretty please, someone??

And thank you, ditty, for that incredible picture. Love it!

Following She's A Jar someone asked him what a sleepy kisser was. He turned it around and asked what do YOU think it is? Not in a smart ass way but one that implied, take it any way that feels right to you. There was some idle chatter about the definition and he then added his thoughts on what it was to him. Not a direct quote of course: when someone gives you a kiss early in the morning with little enthusiasm. Usually accompanied by morning breath.

After this I looked to my wife and raised my eyebrows as to insinuate her morning breath and very sleepy kisses. She then slapped me in the chest hard enough that Jeff said "Wow". I told him I have bad morning breath, thinking I was making a funny and he would chuckle. No such luck. He just looked at me and said, "Um....thanks for sharing that." :hmm

when Jeff was having trouble getting his harmonica rack loosened, and Karen proclaimed "I've got a rack!" you could see the wheels turning in Jeff's head ("Do I make a joke about that? Do I not make a joke about that?"). It was priceless.

Following She's A Jar someone asked him what a sleepy kisser was. He turned it around and asked what do YOU think it is? Not in a smart ass way but one that implied, take it any way that feels right to you. There was some idle chatter about the definition and he then added his thoughts on what it was to him. Not a direct quote of course: when someone gives you a kiss early in the morning with little enthusiasm. Usually accompanied by morning breath.

After this I looked to my wife and raised my eyebrows as to insinuate her morning breath and very sleepy kisses. She then slapped me in the chest hard enough that Jeff said "Wow". I told him I have bad morning breath, thinking I was making a funny and he would chuckle. No such luck. He just looked at me and said, "Um....thanks for sharing that." :hmm

Aww, don't feel bad. No one doesn't have morning breath--at least not in my experience. And that's what I thought the line meant, too, though I was kinda glossing over the bad breath part. It's just an evocative, intimate line, and it's always stuck with me on that basis.

Now, if he ever decides to address the "begs me not to hit her" part, I will gladly give up the You're So Vain mystery.:rolleyes

its only a dream for me. you all are so lucky.

Reading these threads is the next best thing to being there...the happiness just pops right off the forum page! Congrats to the newly-engaged couple, who have such a fun, romantic story to share with their families and friends! :cheers

Matt-the-Z, having heard your beautiful take on Everlasting Everything, I'm sure you were wonderful and added to the evening's enjoyment!

More photos would be terrific! :thumbup

To those in attendance, I wasn't able to get any photos due to my vantage point from the couch (!!!). If anyone's up for sharing/uploading/whatever, PM me and I'll provide an e-mail and/or FB address.

Love reading through these posts and reliving the evening over and over and over again. Thrilled I could share such a wonderful evening with all of y'all.