Murderers, Gunslingers, Outlaws, & Prison Songs

i want to make a mix tape with this being the common theme. Help me out. Preferably a country western maybe folky feel to the tunes...

so far i have:

Dire Wolf - Grateful Dead

Hanging Me Tonight - Marty Robbins

In Search of Little Sadie - Bob Dylan

Outlaw Blues - Bob Dylan

Folsom Prison Blues - John Cash

Long Black Veil - John Cash

Dreadful Wind and Rain - Trad

Stagger Lee - Nick Cave

Midnight Rider - ABB

I'm a Lonesome Fugitive - Merle Haggard

Layers, Guns and Money - Warren Zevon

what else do you got?

you could do about a hundred mix tapes of this...

Vetiver- Know No Pardon

Nick Cave and/or Johnny Cash- the Mercy Seat

Merle Haggard and/or Flying Burritto Brothers (and probably others)- Sing Me back Home

Johnny Cash- Don't take your guns to town

Neil Young -Down By the River

Wilco-Bull Black Nova

this in just 30 seconds off the top of my head- if i started thinking of Greatful Dead and Tom Waits and The Harry Smith Anthology there would be dozens more

"Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard

maybe the best song ever written.

Also... check PMs.

You Never Even Called Me By My Name - David Allan Coe (with special thanks to Steve Goodman for making it fit perfectly into this theme)

There Ain't No Good Chain Gang - Johnny Cash & Waylon Jennings

Cocaine Blues (Live @ Folsom Prison) - Johnny Cash

Delia's Gone - Johnny Cash

Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand - Waylon Jennings

My Own Kind of Hat - Merle Haggard

Branded Man - Merle Haggard

Murdering Oscar - Patterson Hood

Cottonseed - Drive-By Truckers

The Wig He Made Her Wear - Drive-By Truckers

If you go back to music made in the 1920s and 1930s you will find lots of songs in this category. But you are going to have to get out of the 1960s to present. Most of the songs that you have listed that are covers by Cave and Cash, etc, are from an earlier time.

LouieB

If you go back to music made in the 1920s and 1930s you will find lots of songs in this category. But you are going to have to get out of the 1960s to present. Most of the songs that you have listed that are covers by Cave and Cash, etc, are from an earlier time.

LouieB

While there exists a greater range and variety of these types of songs from the 20's and 30's, I completely disagree that you have to leave the 60's - present to make a good mixtape on the subject.

Most any tune off of Dylan's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid album, particularly "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," " Main Title Theme (Billy)," " Cantina Theme," " and "Billy 4" or "Billy 7" ( I prefer "Billy 4").

It's a real rarity, and it's fucking spectacular, but try and find "The Ballad of the self-loading Pistol" by Springsteen. Downright spooky.

While there exists a greater range and variety of these types of songs from the 20's and 30's, I completely disagree that you have to leave the 60's - present to make a good mixtape on the subject.

Okay.....I just said you might want to go further back for some really crazy stuff about outlaws and murders and prison and shit, that's all. Check out both the Anthology of American Folk music for classic stuff as well as disk three from People Take Warning. 1913-1937 which includes:

Disc: 3

1. Peddler And His Wife Hayes Shepherd

2. The Little Grave in Georgia Earl Johnson

3. Kenney Wagner's Surrender Ernest Stoneman

4. Henry Clay Beattie Kelly Harrell

5. The Murder Of the Lawson Family Carolina Buddies

6. Naomi Wise Clarence Ashley

7. Railroad Bill Will Bennett

8. Frankie Dykes Magic City Trio

9. Trial of Richard Bruno Hauptmann, Part 1 Bill Cox

10. Trial of Richard Bruno Hauptmann, Part 2 Bill Cox

11. Lanse Des Belaires Dennis McGee & Ernest Fruge

12. Darling Cora B.F. Shelton

13. Billy Lyons and Stack O' Lee Furry Lewis

14. Tom Dooley Grayson and Whitter

15. The Story of Freda Bolt Floyd County Ramblers

16. Pretty Polly John Hammond

17. Fingerprints Upon the Windowpane Bob Miller

18. The Bluefield Murder Roy Harvey & The North Carolina Ramblers

19. Frankie Silvers Ashley & Foster

20. Fate of Rhoda Sweeten Wilmer Watts

21. Dupree Blues Willie Walker

22. Poor Ellen Smith Dykes Magic City Trio

El Paso and some of the other songs on Marty Robbins album Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs which is from the 60s.

Actually for some up to date stuff see the Executioners last Songs volumes 1, 2 and 3.

"Looking through Gary Gilmores Eyes" by the Adverts for a more punk sensibility.

And stealing directly from Wikipedia because my brain is fried from the hot weather and mostquitos...

"Banks of the Ohio" - Blue Sky Boys, The Carter Family, Monroe Brothers, Johnny Cash, Doc Watson

"Child Owlet" - Steeleye Span

"The Cruel Mother," also known as "Carlisle Hall" and "Fine Flowers in the Valley" - Joan Baez and Quadriga Consort

"Edward" - Steeleye Span

"Frankie and Johnny" - Mississippi John Hurt, Brook Benton, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash

"I Hung My Head" - Sting, Johnny Cash

"Jellon Grame" - Broadside Electric

"Knoxville Girl" - Blue Sky Boys, Louvin Brothers, Wilburn Brothers

"Lamkin" - Martin Carthy, Steeleye Span

"Lily of the West" - Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, The Chieftains

"Little Sadie," also known as "Cocaine Blues" - Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Hank Thompson, Uncle Tupelo, Merle Travis, Woodie Guthrie

"Lizie Wan" - Kate Bush

"Lord Randall"

"Mary Hamilton" - Joan Baez

"My Good Gal" - Old Crow Medicine Show

"Omie Wise," also known as "Poor Little Omie Wise" - Clarence Ashley, Dock Boggs, Roscoe Holcomb, Shirley Collins, Pentangle

"Poor Ellen Smith" - Molly O'Day, Wilma Lee & Stoney Cooper, Stanley Brothers, Country Gentlemen

"Pretty Polly" - Dock Boggs, Judy Collins, Ralph Stanley, Kristin Hersh, Bert Jansch, Sandy Denny

"Stagger Lee," also known as "Stagolee," "Stackerlee," "Stack O'Lee," "Stack-a-Lee" - Mississippi John Hurt, Ma Rainey, Sidney Bechet, Duke Ellington, Memphis Slim, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Nick Cave

"Tom Dooley" - Kingston Trio, Lonnie Donegan, Doc Watson

"The Twa Sisters," also known as "Cruel Sister," "The Two Sisters," and "Binnorie" - Pentangle, Clannad

"Westfall" - Okkervil River

LouieB

Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones and others...

On a Monday - Ry Cooder and lots of others....(actually a Ledbelly song...)

Jimmie Rogers - In the Jailhouse Now...also done by others.

LouieB

1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson. Quite possibly my favorite song.

Great call.

Okay.....I just said you might want to go further back for some really crazy stuff about outlaws and murders and prison and shit, that's all. Check out both the Anthology of American Folk music for classic stuff as well as disk three from People Take Warning.

LouieB

I actually own the Anthology of American Folk Music as a result of a project I did while an American Studies graduate student. I'd be lying if I claimed it was something I listen to with any frequency.

A few more suggestions:

They Caught The Devil And Put Him In Jail In Eudora, Arkansas - Tony Joe White

Tillamook County Jail - Todd Snider

Christmas in Prison - John Prine

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen

How Will You Meet Your End - A.A. Bondy

Cortez the Killer - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Ladies Love Outlaws - Waylon Jennings