The Zooey Deschanel Appreciation Thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also fell under Ms. Deschanel's spell after seeing Almost Famous. I do think she has a nice singing voice, but there hasn't been much range in her style. That being said, I couldn't see her fronting a heavy metal band.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, fans of Zooey! Just dropping in to let you know that you can access her new FOX pilot over on Comcast's On Demand feature (and possible other cable companies' On Demand feature). A little birdy told me that. I think it premieres next Tuesday otherwise? Nope. Tuesday September 20th.

New Girl - I guess the premise is that Zooey leaves her cheating boyfriend and moves in with 3 male roommates. Hilarity ensues.

• 3 weeks later...

Liking her new show.

Seriously?! I think it's the worst new sitcom. Quick side note: I do plan on making a new 2011-2012 Fall TV Thread to discuss new shows and returning ones very soon.

Anyways, the main problem that I had with the pilot was that there was 0 conflict. OK. They could have dragged out her wanting to move in with 3 guys to a couple of episode arcs. Hell, it felt like for 2 seconds the guys put up a fight and then next thing you know she is living with them and it felt like episode 4 all of a sudden.

Plus, she's surrounded herself with a poor supporting cast and pretty bad writers, in my opinion. Lots of cringe worthy stuff to pry out a laugh. Also, did anyone else notice that they swapped the black actor from the pilot out in for a new black actor (I use this language because all 3 guys are very bland and underdeveloped types)? They never really explained what happened to Damon Wayans, Jr. (who also happens to be on a much better show Happy Endings) They kind of explained the new character moving in, but they never said that anybody had ever recently moved out. (I understand tv shows like to reboot stuff whenever to accommodate all sorts of things, but this felt very odd.)

Bottom line it feels like an obvious vanity piece for Zooey.

Seriously?! I think it's the worst new sitcom. Quick side note: I do plan on making a new 2011-2012 Fall TV Thread to discuss new shows and returning ones very soon.

Anyways, the main problem that I had with the pilot was that there was 0 conflict. OK. They could have dragged out her wanting to move in with 3 guys to a couple of episode arcs. Hell, it felt like for 2 seconds the guys put up a fight and then next thing you know she is living with them and it felt like episode 4 all of a sudden.

Plus, she's surrounded herself with a poor supporting cast and pretty bad writers, in my opinion. Lots of cringe worthy stuff to pry out a laugh. Also, did anyone else notice that they swapped the black actor from the pilot out in for a new black actor (I use this language because all 3 guys are very bland and underdeveloped types)? They never really explained what happened to Damon Wayans, Jr. (who also happens to be on a much better show Happy Endings) They kind of explained the new character moving in, but they never said that anybody had ever recently moved out. (I understand tv shows like to reboot stuff whenever to accommodate all sorts of things, but this felt very odd.)

Bottom line it feels like an obvious vanity piece for Zooey.

I think New Girl has been pretty good, too. They did explain that Wayans' character was subletting while this new one was out of the country. They only had to find a new actor because Happy Endings was picked up and he went back to that show. And since the entire premise of the show is a girl living with 3 guys, do we really need a 4-episode arc to get to that point?

I think New Girl has been pretty good, too. They did explain that Wayans' character was subletting while this new one was out of the country. They only had to find a new actor because Happy Endings was picked up and he went back to that show. And since the entire premise of the show is a girl living with 3 guys, do we really need a 4-episode arc to get to that point?

Well, the 4 of them living together (for a few days) feel way too comfortable. They could mine a lot of comedic territory in the 1st couple of episodes dealing with that. Plus, the 3 guys feel subservient to Zooey's character (hence my comment about the whole show being a vanity piece and not a terrific ensemble like all of the best comedies right now). The way how they all stood up to her ex-boyfriend by putting on funny hats seemed entirely horrible and totally unbelievable since they barely know her.

Well, the 4 of them living together (for a few days) feel way too comfortable. They could mine a lot of comedic territory in the 1st couple of episodes dealing with that. Plus, the 3 guys feel subservient to Zooey's character (hence my comment about the whole show being a vanity piece and not a terrific ensemble like all of the best comedies right now). The way how they all stood up to her ex-boyfriend by putting on funny hats seemed entirely horrible and totally unbelievable since they barely know her.

I think you're being too hard on a show that has only aired two episodes and still trying to find its footing (with a new cast member no less). Episode 1 was about her moving in and episode 2 was about her breaking free from her ex. Since those were the two A-plots, of course it's going to mainly seem about her only. We have gotten some small snippets of character in the other roommates. Hopefully, there is more, because I agree that those characters need to be fleshed out more.

But I don't think it's unbelievable to feel loyalty to a new roommate. Especially a good-looking female roommate who seems so innocent and hurt at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...