Great Moments in Rock and Roll History

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did ray davies really slit his speaker cones with a razor, or is that just a tall tale?

Thought it was Dave.

July 4, 1976 - Ramones play London

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvDeee14dEA

Being a huge fan of all of the bands in that video I can't believe i've never seen that before, thanks a lot. It also makes me think of Johnny Thunders teaching Sid Vicious how to shoot heroin while on the Anarchy tour with the Heartbreakers.

The Dylan '66 show where he says "play it fuckin' loud" before they launch into Like a Rolling Stone is so great... but from what i hear.. he didnt say that. But i still like to think he did.

Other notables in my book are; Robert Johnson at the Crossroads, Roger Waters spitting on a fan in Montreal which sparked him creating the Wall, Justin Vernon of Bon Iver running away to his fathers hunting cabin to recover with NO intention of recording music, he comes back with a masterpiece. Al Kooper playing organ on Like a Rolling Stone.

You can hear it pretty clearly in the Scorsese documentary: No Direction Home.

There was a tremendous amount of discussion when the Shows became commercially available. You can't help but hate that audience for their inability to hear the wondrous music being presented.

He said it. I was there. The dude who yelled 'Judas!' looked sheepish as a motherfucker at the end of LARS.

Seriously though, does anyone get the vibe as that song crashes to an end that the crowd is finally awed and manages to show Dylan that 'yes, we get it. Maybe not right now, but with what you just showed us with that song, we realize we have erred.'

He said it. I was there. The dude who yelled 'Judas!' looked sheepish as a motherfucker at the end of LARS.

Awesome. I thought it was pretty clear for all to hear on the cd.

Drummers can't hear for shit, so who cares what Mickey Jones says?

I still think it was Robbie Robertson.

Doubtful. With Robbie's ego, he would have proclaimed it in every interview he ever did.

The "Judas" catcall and Dylan's seething response is the scariest, most tension filled, angry :50 ever committed to tape.

It was a true turning point. The beginning of ROCK and the death of friendly pop. After that moment singular moment and that tour, the innocence and trust between artist and audience would never be the same.

Can you imagine the MC5 without that moment? Can you imagine the Stones doing Sympathy for the Devil without that moment? While the Beatles created our image of the modern rock band, Dylan created the image of the modern Rock poet...the Rock God.

In later years, the man responsible for the "Judas" catcall attempted to state that he was angry over Dylan playing Rock music through a poor sound system. In my mind, it was the death knell for the stuffy artiste as the only avenue for Songwriters.