Post Good Religious Music here

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume this is the song made more famous by the Byrds and the Doobies? (I'm at work so I can't fire this up.)

Also someone mentioned the Johnny Cash religious material one album, he also did an album of relgious music on Cash Unearthed (Rick Rubin era) and also other material on Columbia.

This thread cost me money since I bought three albums based on the convo here.

If you get really interested in gospel, there is a great movie called "Say Amen Someone" which was done in 1982 and chronicles some of the originators of gospel music before they passed away.

edit- As long as we are mentioning rock artists doing religious material..how about George Harrison, particulary All things Must past and some of the rest of his solo work.

LouieB

With all begrudging due to the Christian rock groups....if you put on a Christian rock station by accident, you can actually rock along with it for awhile. Just like the country artists, Christian rockers have picked up the carefully crafted, tuneful songs (even if some are pretty insipid on deeper examination..) that the current pop/rock stations don't play. Its all in the marketing I guess.

LouieB

The Zaxby's chicken restaurants that I go to play contemporary Christian music over their loud speakers. I don't know if it's a corporate-wide thing or the local franchisee's choice. I swear a lot of it sounds like Richard Marx got saved.

:lol Richard Marx needs to get saved....(within the last year I saw Richard Marx at a benefit for a sex abuse agency in IL. He didn't draw a very large crowd and he acted like a dick.)

LouieB

• 4 weeks later...

How about The Welcome Wagon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwGAuWm3Lk&feature=related

Their album was produced by Sufjan Stevens. I remember reading the liner notes for one of the Sufjan Stevens cds and noticed it mentioned Vito Aiuto. I told my husband that I was friends with a girl in high school with the last name Aiuto and she had a brother named Vito. I googled it and sure enough, it was him. That's probably why I was able to give The Welcome Wagon a listen because otherwise I would have probably lumped it in with Sufjan and I just don't get his music...

Phil Keaggy,

one of best guitarists out there and performs with humility

Was doing finger tapping techniques and looping before anybody else was doing it

I wanted to follow-up on the Fisk Jubilee Singers set from Archeophone. I have finally listened to the first disk and it is pretty amazing the sound they got out of these old reordings. Plus the historical material in the book is extremely comprehensive. Admittedly this material is probably only intersting to folks who want some deep background on this very early group; there is some redundancy because they recorded for several different companies, but if you want to know about the roots of American religious music (pre-gospel) it is some pretty exciting stuff. And it is up for a Grammy.

LouieB

^^ Anything Patty does is usually pretty great. I think I've only listened to that one twice since buying it, must really revisit it again.

^^ Anything Patty does is usually pretty great. I think I've only listened to that one twice since buying it, must really revisit it again.

Just discovered this the other day and am loving it. In fact, I've pretty much missed the boat on all of her work. How that happened, I don't know. But I'm glad I've found it.

Just discovered this the other day and am loving it. In fact, I've pretty much missed the boat on all of her work. How that happened, I don't know. But I'm glad I've found it.

You really can't go wrong with anything in her discography. Not only does she have an amazing voice, she's one hell of a songwriter. I love all her records, particular these ones: 1,000 Kisses, Living with Ghosts, Children Running Through, and Impossible Dream. None of these are gospel records, but all are terrific.

You really can't go wrong with anything in her discography. Not only does she have an amazing voice, she's one hell of a songwriter. I love all her records, particular these ones: 1,000 Kisses, Living with Ghosts, Children Running Through, and Impossible Dream. None of these are gospel records, but all are terrific.

No, they're not, but there's definitely a spiritual undercurrent to a lot of it. I'd classify some of it as non-denominational gospel.