Post Good Religious Music here

I've been thinking about how much I like the Christian-themed songs on the Mermaid Avenues, esp. Airline to Heaven. Also, I like the songs on the new Mavis Staples CD. I'm trying to think of religious music (specifically, but not limited to Christian music) by good artists. I really, really dislike most "Christian rock", it seems very dogmatic and the music is usually inspired by the worst aspects of pop music. I'm thinking of artists with an indie bend, but sometimes have a religious bend. U2 comes to mind, Jesus and Beginning to See the Light by the Velvets as well.

Post any good suggestions here.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fire-in-my-bones.jpg

I have been touting Fire in My Bones on the Thompkins Square label since it came out last year. I don't know if I would call it all good, but is all very entertaining and rocks like crazy. Some of the musicianship and recording is a bit off, but that all adds to the tension and interest of these sides.

Both of the Numero Group Gospel funk albums are good also. good-god-a-gospel-funk-hymnal-14037575.jpeggospel-funk-cover2400dpi054-copy1.jpg

I just picked up a couple early Staple Singers CDs, pre-Stax era, one on Prestige/Milestone and one on Vee Jay. Looking forward to listening to them, but since I haven't listened yet, I can't yet recommend them. They are probably great though. I always recommend Mavis' comeback album, Have a little Faith on Alligator though.

LouieB

Seven Swans by Sufjan Stevens is the first thing that comes to mind.

Johnny Cash music also pops into my head, specifically "My Mother's Hymnal" which was one of his American Recordings.

Both top notch in my book.

For me, nothing surpasses Dylan's work, Slow Train Coming is the obvious, but you almost have to make a compilation that gather such songs from all of his recordings, whether it be Lay Down Your Weary Tune to Every Grain of Sand.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to all the recommendations myself.

Bands like The 77s and Daniel Amos. Both bands are "Christian" bands, but are excellent, a couple of the top bands I've ever heard, in any genre. Seriously, check 'em out. The leaders of these two bands also have an Americana/Rock band called The Lost Dogs. If you like "Being There", you'll probably like these guys, too.

Old blues artists like Rev. Gary Davis and Blind Willie Johnson.

I'll second/third/fourth "Slow Train Coming", The Staples Singers & "Seven Swans".

John Davis (of 90's powerpop group Superdrag) has put a couple of great solo records: "John Davis" and "Arigato!"

Mike Farris (formerly of Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies) has a couple of records out; the best is "Salvation in Lights". It has a New Orleans/roots rock feel. Excellent album.

16 Horsepower and Wovenhand, both fronted by David Eugene Edwards, have great records that are termed gothic country, with a lot of spiritual themes. I'd start with "Folklore", which is a great album.

Elvis Presley's Gospel records, especially "How Great Thou Art"

Billy Joe Shaver's "Everybody's Brother"

I'm a minister and I can't stand most of mainstream Christian music. It's simplistic and vapid. And I say that in Christian love! :P

A recent favorite of mine is the funky, soulful gem pictured below. Originally self-released in Chicago by Pastor T.L. Barrett in 1971, it just recently got reissued by the fantastic "Light in the Attic" label.

333.jpg

I second the "Fire in My Bones," Staples, Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Willie Johnson... I spin this one quite a bit:

B0000028QB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Holmes Brothers are worth checking out too. Oh yeah, one other recent favorite is this raw gospel record:

renfro_famo_famouslre_101b.jpg

What's interesting is most of the rock oriented stuff mentioned so far was released by people who wouldn't call themselves "Christian rock". For whatever reason believers often make great music about faith, but when they call themselves "Christian rock" they suddenly have a hard time making good music. All of scientific research can not find the cause of this phenomenon.

How did I forget Gary Davis and Blind Willie Willile Johnson. I am particulary fond of Blind Willie Johnson. Also check out the one album done by Blind Arvella Gray. I have been meaning to check out TL Barnett (thanks like in the attic...). Some of the other suggestions too.

Other good gospel groups.....Five Blind Boys Boys of Alabama and Dixie Hummingbirds.

Nearly all of the country blues artists had some religious songs that they could pull out from time to time, although most of them played devil's music.

Almost forgot. There are several "sacred steel" albums out there, some on arhoolie and some on other labels. Don't know them all, but they are also quite good.

Oh my...no one yet suggested Sister Rosetta Tharpe. You can get a whole ton of her stuff on a four CD set from Proper. This is fantastic stuff and usually cheap.

properbox51.jpg

Ths one from Proper looks good too..

properbox42.jpg

Also....Sam Cooke's work with the Soul Stirrers. Not to be missed. Some of that material and others we have talked about here are on this Proper set. (I just ordered it....the power of suggestion???)

LouieB

Not really sure that is an appropriate choice. It is about as sincere as "Thank You Friends"

I hate to plug something I have not yet heard, but I never tire of promoting material on Archeophone Records and I think this one should be amazing.

5020.jpg

"There Breathes a Hope: The Legacy of John Work II and His Fisk Jubilee Quartet, 1909-1916" has just come out and if it is as good as some of the sides I have heard in the past are any indication it should be amazing. I guess we should talk about it when my copy arrives in a couple days, but flying blind I think it will be good. Remember this is early recordings, pre-electric, so the quality will be less than ideal, but Archeophone always makes sure that their material sounds as good as possible. It will have a great book with it too.

More information here.

LouieB

41fA9ZC%2BU-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51uPpEXwsuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Ben Harper collaboration with The Blind Boys of Alabama is pretty solid all-around. The cover of the Bob Dylan/Danny O'Keefe track "Well, Well, Well" is worth the price alone.

The first disc in the Cash set is secular material, the second is sacred - but both are phenomenal. It's like an audio autobiography; Cash made these recordings in his home studio and tells stories throughout about when he first discovered these songs, shares memories attached to them, etc. It's just voice and acoustic guitar.