Jeff doing a solo record of just covers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Request list for the covers? Be Not So Fearful and Pink Moon come immediately to mind.

request list for covers,..every cover he has ever covered, i love them all, the lastest one i've heard is a song i didn't know existed called 'sometimes it happens' a song linda thompson covered on one of her albums but according to jeff is "utter dogshit" :lol he played it at the yo la tengos hannukah night on dec 3rd.

i also love a lot the cover he does of blondies 'dreamin' he used to do years ago at lounge ax

because hes just so damn good at it....i love his covers

As attractive as that could be, I think it is a pipe dream. Albums of cover songs are the provence of artists out of ideas or needing to burn up a record company contract.

Pink Moon definitely, Also Simple Twist of Fate and Neil Young's song Look out for my love, which Jeff did with Avi Buffalo at Solid Sound

i've never heard jeff do 'pink moon'..that would be interesting

i also love his cover of daniel johnstons 'true love will find you in the end'

As attractive as that could be, I think it is a pipe dream. Albums of cover songs are the provence of artists out of ideas or needing to burn up a record company contract.

i know its a pipe dream, (wishful thinking)..i guess i just have to make my own cd of just jeff covers one of these days

i've never heard jeff do 'pink moon'..that would be interesting

i also love his cover of daniel johnstons 'true love will find you in the end'

Absolutely LOVE that cover. I've never heard some of the covers mentioned in this thread and I've about 40 of them on my hard drive I reckon. You're a fine die-hard crowd.

The most interesting cover he's ever done's gotta be "Crack a smile", there's something about that one. And I'm sure it's got it's detractors on this forum (keeping in mind all the You & I bashing) but his "Thirteen" is almost on par with Elliott's.

And I'm sure it's got it's detractors on this forum (keeping in mind all the You & I bashing) but his "Thirteen" is almost on par with Elliott's.

I'm missing the immediate connection between reactions to those two songs.

--Mike

I too would enjoy this, but where is the money in it. Also most artists do cover albums when they are at their artistic end. I really don't think Jeff is there yet.

LouieB

well, bob dylan released 2 full abums of covers in the early 90s and played lots of covers in his live shows........ and then bounced back with Time out of mind

well, bob dylan released 2 full abums of covers in the early 90s and played lots of covers in his live shows........ and then bounced back with Time out of mind

Yes, but these days it is mainly old and forgotten acts that are putting out such albums. Although I think it is cool to do such a thing in a live setting, I would not want to see Jeff or Wilco make such an album.

he bounced back somewhat and neither of those albums were covers exactly. Many were old folk songs which were what in jazz would be called standards, not songs that were attributed to just one artist. (Froggie went a courtin is not a cover...but with your screen name I guess you know that...) Dylan does play covers as does Wilco and as does Jeff. Also Dylan was somewhat older than Jeff when he did that and his career was pretty much totally on the rocks. Jeff's career is at its zenith therefore I agree with Aman....

Yes, but these days it is mainly old and forgotten acts that are putting out such albums. Although I think it is cool to do such a thing in a live setting, I would not want to see Jeff or Wilco make such an album.

I have always wanted a duets album with some of Jeff's contemporaries. I think that would be more fun and result in a bit more inspiration for everyone concerned. Although if Jeff does do a covers album a song or two by the Handsome Family is my vote.

LouieB

LouieB

he bounced back somewhat and neither of those albums were covers exactly. Many were old folk songs which were what in jazz would be called standards, not songs that were attributed to just one artist. (Froggie went a courtin is not a cover...but with your screen name I guess you know that...) Dylan does play covers as does Wilco and as does Jeff. Also Dylan was somewhat older than Jeff when he did that and his career was pretty much totally on the rocks. Jeff's career is at its zenith therefore I agree with Aman....

I have always wanted a duets album with some of Jeff's contemporaries. I think that would be more fun and result in a bit more inspiration for everyone concerned. Although if Jeff does do a covers album a song or two by the Handsome Family is my vote.

LouieB

LouieB

i know that they've been covered by lots of people (from Good as i been to you & World gone wrong), but i think there's nothing wrong in putting your own 2 cents into a song that people know. thats what i'd like to see Jeff or Wilco do. it might turn out to be a jackpot!

Covers can be fun, but if Jeff were to release a solo album I would much prefer self-penned songs. I hate it when good songwriters put out cover records, it seems like such a waste. Leave the cover records for the hacks I say. Or, at the least do a handful of solo records of your own material before venturing into coverland.

i know that they've been covered by lots of people (from Good as i been to you & World gone wrong), but i think there's nothing wrong in putting your own 2 cents into a song that people know. thats what i'd like to see Jeff or Wilco do. it might turn out to be a jackpot!

Yea, true. Now that he has his own label it would be easy enough to do.

LouieB

I'm missing the immediate connection between reactions to those two songs.

--Mike

Well You & I has been accused of being too sugary, not complex enough and that's exactly what Big Star's Thirteen is but in a good way. When Jeff's been sweet it's usually with a dark edge (far, far away territory).

After hearing Unlikely Japan a reworking of some of his back catalog could turn out well...