Worst Christmas gift ever

It doesn't have to be from 2010.

I'd been dating this girl for about 18 mos. By the time Christmas rolled around, I'd met the entire family at various birthday dinners, get-togethers, Thanksgivings during the year. We all got along really well. No animosity, nothing like that. At Christmas, I got each of her brothers and sister— even sister-in-law-to-be— gifts, as well as her parents. I put thought into each person's gift and wanted it to be special. For my efforts, I received a single present in return from her parents: one box of chocolate-covered cherries. The adult in me was indeed gracious and thankful, but the kid in me just wanted to cry. I know deep down: "It's the thought that counts" but in this case, I felt as if they honestly didn't care about me, and it cut me deep.

Let's hear your worst Christmas present stories.

"It's the thought that counts"

It doesn't take any thought at all to give someone a box of candy as a gift.

I got a rubic's cube this year. I already have one, and it's in my box of stuff to sell at my yard sale as soon as the weather gets warmer. Now I'm sort of in a moral quandary.

That's exactly why it hurt so much. The veil was lifted and I realized they really didn't care about me.

Maybe they just aren't good at giving gifts. Some people have a knack for that sort of thing and some people are clueless.

And some families don't go in for lots of gifts. Did they give each other lots of really great gifts? In my family, we pick names out of a hat, for a group of about 30 of us (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.). So each year, I'm really only giving and getting one gift. Usually, I'm really happy with whatever I get (and I give a seriously kick-ass gift each year, because I am very good at gift-giving). But one year, I got $25, cash, gift-wrapped in a box. That was both weird and disappointing.

In my family, we pick names out of a hat, for a group of about 30 of us (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.). So each year, I'm really only giving and getting one gift.

Such a sensible approach. My family used to do this, but at some point (for unknown reasons) we switched to stocking stuffers. Now I have to shop for a bunch of little gifts (which people probably don't want or need) and end up getting lots of stuff that I don't want or need. Sigh. My new post-Xmas tradition is cleaning out my closets and preparing a big box of new and used items to donate to charity.

Did they give each other lots of really great gifts?

In this particular case, yes. It was somewhat uncomfortable, watching the whole spectacle unfold. Each person unwrapping multiple gifts. I know I wasn't exactly a member of the family... but I wasn't exactly the boyfriend-of-the-week, either. We were a serious couple at that point. As an epilogue to the original story, the next Christmas we spent together yielded a bag of jelly beans, I kid you not. I was somewhat prepared for the letdown, but still... it hurt.

I'm no longer dating that girl, but not due to any of this. I'm not that superficial.

OK. There is still some sufficient evidence not given to have me give my best response at this time. Such as, what did you get for Christmas from them the year before? I'm assuming at that point it was a 6 month relationship.

So you went from "Something" to a box of chocolate covered cherries to a bag of jelly beans. Hmm. Maybe they were just fucking with you to see if you'd stick around. Kind of like, "why should we invest money in this guy? He might be gone before it's Easter." That's some pertinent information that you left out: how often did your ex have a boyfriend?

On the other hand, it could be just a means of saving money and actually getting you something instead of nothing at all. My parents received one bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee beans (current retail value $5) this year from my godparents/my mother's sister and her husband of 40 years. Times are tough. They have several grandchildren to buy for now and kind of spoil. It sounds like that was a big family that your ex had and they probably felt like you were on the low part of the totem pole because you weren't family.

Honestly, are the Christmas gifts what led to your relationships demise? If not, then you need to ask yourself "how would I feel making out like a bandit getting a $15 iTunes gift card for dating their daughter?" I'm not saying that you're trying to mooch by dating women and hoping for the best present ever, but you also need to realize how upset you were at getting a present that you didn't like.

The other part of my brain thinks the best thing for you to do was to give your ex that exact same box of chocolate covered cherries to her on Valentine's Day a few months later. EDIT: And ask yourself how would she have reacted to that. Would she have laughed along with you or would she have been upset that you were still upset with your gift?

P.S. (an obvious statement that I will leave at the end) Her parents aren't trying to wow you, you are/were supposed to be wowing them and her too. Edit Part Two: One should never feel entitled to the "Best" gifts for dating someone, unless if you're really "in". If you were to get something really amazing, then wouldn't that send some sort of desperate signal to marry my daughter etc. It also sounds like the "seriousness" of your relationship was somewhat murky to the parents and even to your ex. Seriousness should not just be measured in quantity (months/years). I guess what I'm trying to nip at is maybe you thought the relationship was more serious than she did. I would bet that she dated men for a few years at a time before and after you. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. If this is something that her parents are obviously aware of, then that might explain how they "treat" their daughter's boyfriends. Edit Part Three: (ooh good one...now I have to really go and eat lunch) What did your parents get her for each Christmas that you spent together?

And just because it seems funny: dr-phil.jpg

Thanks, Dr. Phil. It must have hurt to pass that hardback book. That must be the origin of your avatar picture. :blush

I didn't come here for relationship advice, nor to have this anecdote analyzed and dissected. I simply wanted to share a Christmas gripe, that's all. I'm over it.

Let's hear some more stories of lousy gifts. I know you've got 'em.

Thanks, Dr. Phil. It must have hurt to pass that hardback book. That must be the origin of your avatar picture. :blush

I didn't come here for relationship advice, nor to have this anecdote analyzed and dissected. I simply wanted to share a Christmas gripe, that's all. I'm over it.

Let's here some more stories of lousy gifts. I know you've got 'em.

Alright, I can respect that and didn't exactly think that you would respond to my questions that I would most likely ask you, if you were speaking face to face with me.

I understand your pain, but you could see how someone would want to see the whole picture. Even with your horrible situation, it is easy to paint some folks in a bad light and not give the whole picture to get your valid point across.

This kind of reminds me of Runaway Jim/Ordinary Beehive's thread where he asked for relationship advice (I realize that you never did. sorry, that's just how my brain works.) He was upset when people gave him some advice that came across as cold. And the main reason was because he didn't explain the whole situation out on here. That's one of the things that sucks about these places: it's a lot tougher to explain everything in words, rather than in person.

Although, the fact that you got defensive about my questions and commiserated with JFF makes me think there's more to it. I would rather put the focus on being happy with my girlfriend and not get too upset about the gifts that I was given by her parents. Take a look at the bigger picture: the worst gift that you got came from an ex's parents and not a girlfriend or sibling or grandparent or friend. :thumbup

The worst present I ever received was a few Dvds from my sister-in-law. They were the ones that came with the Dvd player she gave her children! I was first quite puzzeled and wondered why on earth would she get me Meatballs 2, but when the kids opened their gift it made more sense!

:)

one year my mom gave my brother, sister and i identical gifts. she was really excited about the gifts and i was under instruction to call her as soon as i opened it. turned out to be a hand painted ceramic cast of Jesus on the cross about 11" tall and on the gory side.

i'm an atheist.

when i explained that to my mom she replied, "Oh. But you believe in God, right?" :ermm

I'm only going to respond because I know my Mother doesn't look on VC........I don't think :shifty

This isn't a Christmas gift but it is one for the record books for sure. It was on my 28th or 29th birthday and my Mom, bless her heart, gets me 2 items for my new home. One was a lamp of a naked spinning lady. Only about 16 inches tall but still very classy. :lol The funny thing about the lamp was it would light up AND spin but not at the same time. You had to choose one or the other.

The second gift from my dear ol' Ma was a jewelry box. Now let me first explain that I own a watch and a wedding ring. Not quite the jewelry collection that warrants an entire box to help organize it all. Here comes the knee slapper, on the box the lyrics to Piano Man were painted but when you opened it up.... (drum roll please) it played the song Love Story.

Both of these item brought in a fair number of one dollar bills at our garage sale a couple years later. I know they're not Christmas gifts but they are worth sharing with all of you.

Happy Holidays

When I was 7 I went to our church's annual Sunday School Christmas party. Besides punch and cookies and the requisite Bible reading of the birth of Jesus, our Sunday School class also had a gift exchange. Everyone was supposed to bring a gift. I brought a gift, although for the life of me I can't recall what it was (probably a Hess truck model or something). Anyway, at some point all of the gifts were put in a pile on the floor and we sat around cross-legged in a circle. Beginning with the person next to me on my left we went around, clockwise, each kid selecting and opening a present from the pile. I was the last person. And someone had forgotten to bring a gift. As I was kicking and screaming and crying our frantic Sunday School teacher dug around in her purse for some loose change. She managed to come up with a quarter, which she quickly pressed into my hand and told me everything was okay.

Worst Christmas gift ever.

When I was 7 I went to our church's annual Sunday School Christmas party. Besides punch and cookies and the requisite Bible reading of the birth of Jesus, our Sunday School class also had a gift exchange. Everyone was supposed to bring a gift. I brought a gift, although for the life of me I can't recall what it was (probably a Hess truck model or something). Anyway, at some point all of the gifts were put in a pile on the floor and we sat around cross-legged in a circle. Beginning with the person next to me on my left we went around, clockwise, each kid selecting and opening a present from the pile. I was the last person. And someone had forgotten to bring a gift. As I was kicking and screaming and crying our frantic Sunday School teacher dug around in her purse for some loose change. She managed to come up with a quarter, which she quickly pressed into my hand and told me everything was okay.

that

is

AWESOME.

thanks for a good laugh at the end of the day!

That reminds me of mine.

When I was in the fifth grade, we had a class Christmas party. Everybody brought a gift (like you, I can't remember what I brought), and for the gift exchange we sat around in a circle and passed around one gift at a time while music was playing. When the music stopped, the kid holding that gift opened it.

My best friend at the time told me what he had brought as his gift -- a Snoopy soap-on-a-rope. I knew what the gift looked like and was determined to not be stuck with that one. His gift hit the circle and I kept a close eye on it the whole time, but my internal clock was ticking as it neared my hands and I began to sweat thinking that it was getting close to the time the teacher was going to cut the music.

There was nothing that I could do. The gift hit my hands and the music stopped and I nearly wept. My battle plan was to get that gift out of my hands as quickly as possible, but the music was stopped in the one split second where I could do nothing about it.

I showed it to my mom who could sense my disappointment. We threw it in the sock drawer and that was that.