so i've been snowed in for several days. been researching music etc. (i love to listen to song samples and make lists of artists etc.) i've found some peculiar things. amazon has all but deleted song samples for albums that are not available in mp3, which is a lot. at the same time, several DBT albums have disappeared from itunes and amazon. other artists have some stuff available online, but not all (van morrison). and of course several BIG artists are not digital at all yet (AC/DC, zappa, def leppard, bob seger, kid rock). as far as kid rock goes, he is touted to have made more money with his recent release by 'forcing' fans to buy the cd rather than the have the digital stuff available. now, i've always thought it was inevitable that everything would end up online. however, it doesn't seem to be going that way. could this be the big bust of web 2.0? i'd love to see artists claim their music and do what they want with it rather than follow the mainstream. i also think that the availability of music online has totally backfired. quantity over quality is exhausting and numbing.

I for one spend way too much money on music and have started buying CDs once again. I was at my local (and only) record store and was planning on buying a Leonard Cohen album but noticed it's CD equivalent was almost $10 cheaper. I was able to buy 2 CDs for the price of 1 vinyl record. Us music fans can never decide on what we want so I'm sure the music execs will always been around to mix things up for us. BTW, it's about time for a cassette tape resurgence.

I'm addicted to Rhapsody. Ten dollars a month to listen to virtually anything I want at any time. And they have have an iPhone/iPod and Android apps that lets you download anything to your iPod or phone. It's definitely saving me money.

I bought me first cd in about 8 months the other day. The only reason was that I couldn't find it for download anywhere. Frank blacks The Golem.

it should be made out of clay and amimated....

LouieB

I doubt many people buy cds these days, unless they are old or a music freak of some sort.

Sony will close South Jersey CD plant

January 12, 2011|By Bob Fernandez, Inquirer Staff Writer

Hurt by the shift to digital-music downloads and by a soft economy, Sony Corp. of America will close a high-volume CD-manufacturing plant in South Jersey that has operated for 50 years, first producing vinyl music albums for Columbia Records.

About 300 workers at the Sony DADC plant in Pitman will lose their jobs when it ceases manufacturing operations in late March, company spokeswoman Lisa Gephardt said Tuesday. A year ago, Sony stopped manufacturing DVDs at the plant, eliminating about 160 jobs.

Sony is consolidating the production of music CDs and video DVDs in a plant in Terre Haute, Ind. The Pitman plant presses CDs for multiple artists.

well, it's all shifting. my point was that it's a mess out there. there's no one stop shop, unless you go for cds. that's the avenue i've been taking for the last year. i listen to the music so much more when it's on cd rather than on my ipod.

i listen to the music so much more when it's on cd rather than on my ipod.

Yup.

Used CDs in particular are still selling quite well, at least online. I just bought a couple today. I also resell on Amazon, and even though it's on a very limited basis, from a very small inventory, I've had 45 sales in the past year.

Same here. I don't know my exact numbers, but I've sold a lot of cds since I started seling in October.

call me old fashioned (i'm only 33), but i prefer to "see" the music played. so i prefer vinyl or tapes cause you can see how they work and have physical control of them. CDs disappear in the tray and music appears out of nowhere. thas why i'd never do a digital download.

maybe i'm just weird?!

Last year I switched back from MP3 purchases to (mostly) CD and the occasional vinyl.

For a while my CD player was getting a good amount of use, but I don't think it's been turned on for at least a month. I still find myself ripping the CD and listening on my iPod and computer. I received three vinyl records for Christmas and I've only listened to one of them. I guess I'm just lazy.

My poor, neglected turntable is staring at me right now. Maybe I'll get off my butt and put a record on . . .

call me old fashioned (i'm only 33), but i prefer to "see" the music played. so i prefer vinyl or tapes cause you can see how they work and have physical control of them. CDs disappear in the tray and music appears out of nowhere. thas why i'd never do a digital download.

maybe i'm just weird?!

Solution...buy a CD player where you see it turning. There are such things, particularly on boomboxes. They turn really really fast and it is kind of cool.

LouieB

I have my stereo hooked up to my computer, so I always use iTunes to play music at home. I think the only CD player I have is the one within the computer. The only time I use a CD is to burn it to iTunes. In my car, I listen to my iPod through a cassette converter thingy. I keep 6 CDs in the car stereo - they haven't changed in years, but I only use them as backup when I forget to bring my iPod.

Last year I switched back from MP3 purchases to (mostly) CD and the occasional vinyl.

For a while my CD player was getting a good amount of use, but I don't think it's been turned on for at least a month. I still find myself ripping the CD and listening on my iPod and computer. I received three vinyl records for Christmas and I've only listened to one of them. I guess I'm just lazy.

My poor, neglected turntable is staring at me right now. Maybe I'll get off my butt and put a record on . . .

this is me, except for the vinyl. i keep wanting to just sit and listen to music rather than it be an add on to another activity. so i got a little portable cd player and hooked it up to some nice computer speakers. as i said before, i just tend to actually listen to the music when it's on cd, rather than digital device. it's like i'm committed to it somehow. i do this in the car. i'm listening to stuff over and over again...something i haven't done since high school.

i just tend to actually listen to the music when it's on cd, rather than digital device. it's like i'm committed to it somehow. i do this in the car. i'm listening to stuff over and over again

CDs in the car, often on repeat is what I do. I use iTunes, but mostly for burning playlists to play in the car. I don't like wearing ear buds alot and I have bad luck with vinyl, like buying (The Album) and dropping and scratching it as soon as I pulled it out. I'm sticking with the cd until it becomes too big of a hassle to find or use them.

CDs in the car, often on repeat is what I do. I use iTunes, but mostly for burning playlists to play in the car. I don't like wearing ear buds alot and I have bad luck with vinyl, like buying (The Album) and dropping and scratching it as soon as I pulled it out. I'm sticking with the cd until it becomes too big of a hassle to find or use them.

i'm with you.