I have long heard of the Four Freshmen's influence on BW, but I have never heard their music.

Is there a track of their's that anyone would hear and say, "I definitely hear the influence on Brian Wilson on this song?"

Graduation Day was a huge hit for them and clearly influenced Brian. As Aman said it was the harmonies. Check out any one of their songs and I think you will get the idea.

LouieB

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I've read that October 4th 2011 is the release date for Smile now.

From Billboard:

Mike Love: Beach Boys Planning New Album for 50th Anniversary

The Beach Boys are planning to commemorate the group's 50th anniversary with a new album involving all of the remaining members, although frontman Mike Love says it's more in the planning stages at this juncture and probably won't surface until 2012.

"Where we're at right now is Brian (Wilson)'s written some songs, I've written some songs (and) we're talking very seriously about getting together and co-writing and doing some new music together," Love tells Billboard.com. "He's been doing his own touring, we've been doing ours and so we haven't really been able to lock into that, but it looks like this fall we will. It just makes a lot of sense with a milestone such as 50 years to get together and do something."

Love says he's confident he and Wilson, his cousin, are "still creative musically and lyrically...We really are the originators of the group and the sounds that were hits and all that. We still love music and we're still capable of recording and writing, so there's every possibility that, God willing, we'll be able to do some special things together."

And, Love adds, he has some special achievements in mind, too. "It's already in the Guinness Book of World Records; between 'Good Vibrations' and 'Kokomo' it was 22 years between No. 1 records," Love notes. "Can you imagine if we got a No. 1 record in 2012? Oh, that would be something."

If Love and company are successful, it will be the first album of new Beach recordings since the country-flavored "Stars and Stripes Vol. 1" in 1996. But Love is confident it won't sound foreign to most fans.

"It depends on what tempo and what the subject matter is, but I think it's going to sound a lot like what you might have heard from the Beach Boys," he says. "The harmonies will be there, and I think there will be a lot of emotion and a lot of people relating to the fact that here's these guys who have been doing this for half a century. Holy cow! I think it will mean a lot to our older fans, and we're not going to lose sight of the fact that there's many millions of people who have come along since we started. I think it should be celebration and...a party as well."

Love adds that "other things" are being talked about to commemorate the group's golden anniversary, including a possible live performance -- or more -- that would also feature continuing Beach Boy Bruce Johnston and former member Al Jardine. "I think that there's definitely more than a possibility that will happen," Love says, "but to what degree I don't know. It's a little early to say, but I definitely think it would be more than worthwhile. It would be really special to commemorate that milestone with some personal appearances."

Also on the Beach Boys' docket, meanwhile, is the release later this year of "The SMiLE Sessions," a two-disc compendium of the group's famously aborted, highly experimental album recorded after "Pet Sounds" in 1966-67. Some tracks form the sessions surfaced on subsequent releases, but Love is looking forward to putting out the songs in their original context.

"It was weird," recalls Love, who has memories of "laying on our backs and singing up at the microphone and other just crazy things. It's been shelved for so long and fragments have come up, like the song 'Surf's Up' or 'Heroes and Villains,' so it's kind of cool that it's coming out now in more of it's original form. I think when you hear some of the tracks you're going to say, 'Wow, that's pretty far-out' or pretty incredible. The group was intact 100 percent, so there's really some incredible performances on that album."

• 1 month later...

Thanks Aman, thought I could count on you to update the thread when it became official. This thing looks sweet, so glad the original 12 page booklet is included. Gonna be a good fall with TWL and this.

Edit

TRACK LISTING FOR BOX SET!

Disc: 1

1. Our Prayer

2. Gee

3. Heroes And Villains

4. Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock)

5. I'm In Great Shape

6. Barnyard

7. My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine)

8. Cabin Essence

9. Wonderful

10. Look (Song For Children)

11. Child Is Father Of The Man

12. Surf's Up

13. I Wanna Be Around / Workshop

14. Vega-Tables

15. Holidays

16. Wind Chimes

17. The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)

18. Love To Say Dada

19. Good Vibrations

20. You're Welcome (Bonus Track)

21. Heroes And Villains (Stereo Mix) (Bonus Track)

22. Heroes And Villains Sections (Stereo Mix) (Bonus Track)

23. Vega-Tables Demo (Bonus Track)

24. He Gives Speeches (Bonus Track)

25. Smile Backing Vocals Montage (Bonus Track)

26. Surf's Up 1967 (Solo version) (Bonus Track)

27. Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into A Piano (Bonus Track)

Disc: 2

1. Our Prayer "Dialog" 9/19/66

2. Our Prayer 10/4/66

3. Heroes And Villains: Verse (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Session: 10/20/66]

4. Heroes And Villains: Barnyard (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Session: 10/20/66]

5. Heroes And Villains: I'm In Great Shape 10/27/66

6. Heroes and Villains Intro (Early Version) circa 12/66

7. Heroes And Villains: Do A Lot [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

8. Heroes And Villains: Bag Of Tricks [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

10. Heroes And Villains: Bridge To Indians [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

11. Heroes And Villains: Part 1 Tag [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

12. Heroes And Villains: Pickup To 3rd Verse [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

13. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

14. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Cantina track) [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

15. Heroes And Villains: Whistling Bridge [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

16. Heroes And Villains: Cantina [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

17. Heroes And Villains: All Day [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

18. Heroes And Villains: Verse Edit Experiment [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/27/67]

19. Heroes And Villains: Prelude To Fade [Heroes And Villains Session: 2/15/67]

20. Heroes And Villains: Piano Theme [Heroes And Villains Session: 2/15/67]

21. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]

22. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (Gee) (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]

23. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 Revised [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]

24. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 Revised (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]

25. Heroes And Villains: Part 3 (Animals) (Master Take) [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]

26. Heroes And Villains: Part 4 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/20/67]

27. Heroes And Villains: Part Two (Master Take) 2/27/67 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/27/67]

28. Heroes And Villains: Fade 2/28/67 [Heroes And Villains Sesssion: 2/27/67]

29. Heroes And Villains: Verse remake [Heroes And Villains Session: 3/1/67]

30. Heroes And Villains: Organ Waltz / Intro [Heroes And Villains Session: 3/1/67]

31. Heroes And Villains: Chorus Vocals [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]

32. Heroes And Villains: Barbershop [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]

33. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Remake) [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]

34. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Master Take Overdubs Mix 1) [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]

35. Heroes And Villains: Children Were Raised (Master Take A Capella) [Heroes And Villains Session: 6/14/67]

36. Heroes And Villains Piano Demo (incorporating "I'm In Great Shape" and "Barnyard") Brian with Van Dyke Parks and "Humble Harve" Miller, KHJ Radio 11/4/66 (Bonus Track)

37. Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into A Microphone 11/4/66 (Bonus Track)

38. Psycodelic Sounds: Moaning Laughing 11/4/66 (Bonus Track)

Disc: 3

1. Do You Like Worms: Part 1 [DO YOU LIKE WORMS (ROLL PLYMOUTH ROCK) Session: 10/18/66]

2. Do You Like Worms: Part 2 (Bicycle Rider) [DO YOU LIKE WORMS (ROLL PLYMOUTH ROCK) Session: 10/18/66]

3. Do You Like Worms: Part 3 [DO YOU LIKE WORMS (ROLL PLYMOUTH ROCK) Session: 10/18/66]

4. Do You Like Worms: Part 4 (Bicycle Rider) [DO YOU LIKE WORMS (ROLL PLYMOUTH ROCK) Session: 10/18/66]

5. Do You Like Worms: Bicycle Rider Overdubs (Heroes And Villains Part 2) 1/5/67 [DO YOU LIKE WORMS (ROLL PLYMOUTH ROCK) Session: 10/18/66]

6. My Only Sunshine: Parts 1 & 2 11/14/66 [MY ONLY SUNSHINE (THE OLD MASTER PAINTER / YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE)]

7. My Only Sunshine: Part 2 (Master Take With Vocal Overdubs) 2/10/67 [MY ONLY SUNSHINE (THE OLD MASTER PAINTER / YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE)]

8. Cabin Essence: Verse [Cabin Essence Session: 10/3/66]

9. Cabin Essence: Chorus [Cabin Essence Session: 10/3/66]

10. Cabin Essence: Tag [Cabin Essence Session: 10/3/66]

11. Wonderful (Version 1) 8/25/66

12. Wonderful (Version 2) [Wonderful (Version 2 "Rock With Me Henry") Session: 1/9/67]

13. Wonderful (Version 2 Tag) [Wonderful (Version 2 "Rock With Me Henry") Session: 1/9/67]

14. Wonderful (Version 3) 4/10/67 ? [Wonderful (Version 2 "Rock With Me Henry") Session: 1/9/67]

15. Look 8/12/66 [LOOK (SONG FOR CHILDREN)]

16. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 1) 10/7/66

17. Child Is Father Of The Man (Version 2) 10/11/66

18. Surf's Up: 1ST Movement 11/4/66

19. Surf's Up: Talking Horns 11/7/66

20. Surf's Up: Piano Demo (Master Take) 12/15/66

21. I Wanna Be Around 11/29/66 [i WANNA BE AROUND / WORKSHOP (FRIDAY NIGHT)]

22. Vegetables: Verse (Master Take Track) 4/4 - 4/11/67 [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) Sessions: 4/4-4/11/67]

23. Vegetables: Sleep A Lot (Chorus) [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) Sessions: 4/4-4/11/67]

24. Vegetables: Chorus 1 (Master Take) [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) Sessions: 4/4-4/11/67]

25. Vegetables: 2nd Chorus (Master Take Track And Backing Vocals) [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) Sessions: 4/4-4/11/67]

26. Vegetables: Insert (Part 4) (Master Take) [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) Sessions: 4/4-4/11/67]

Disc: 4

1. Vegetables: Fade 4/12/67 [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) (continued)]

2. Vegetables: Ballad Insert 4/14/67 [VEGA-TABLES (VEGETABLES) (continued)]

3. Holidays 9/8/66

4. Wind Chimes (Version 1) 8/3/66

5. Wind Chimes (Version 2) [Wind Chimes (Version 2) Session: 10/5/66]

6. Wind Chimes (Version 2 Tag) [Wind Chimes (Version 2) Session: 10/5/66]

7. The Elements: Fire 11/28/66 [THE ELEMENTS: FIRE (MRS. O'LEARY'S COW)]

8. Da Da (Taped Piano Strings) [LOVE TO SAY DADA / COOL, COOL WATER; Da Da Session: 12/22/66]

9. Da Da (Fender Rhodes) [LOVE TO SAY DADA / COOL, COOL WATER; Da Da Session: 12/22/66]

10. Love To Say Dada: Part 1 5/16/67 [Love To Say Dada Sessions: 5/16-5/18/67]

11. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 5/17/67 [Love To Say Dada Sessions: 5/16-5/18/67]

12. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (Master Take) 5/17/67 [Love To Say Dada Sessions: 5/16-5/18/67]

13. Love To Say Dada: Part 2 (Second Day) 5/18/67 [Love To Say Dada Sessions: 5/16-5/18/67]

14. Cool, Cool Water (Version 1) 6/7/67

15. Cool, Cool Water (Version 2) 10/26/67 & 10/29/67

16. You're Welcome 12/15/66 [sMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]

17. You're With Me Tonight 6/6-6/7/67 [sMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]

18. Tune X (Carl Wilson) 3/3/67-3/31/67 [sMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]

19. I Don't Know (Dennis Wilson) 1/12/67 [sMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]

20. Three Blind Mice 10/15/65 [sMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]

21. Teeter Totter Love (Jasper Dailey) 1/25/67 & 2/9/67 [sMILE ADDITIONAL SESSIONS]

22. Psycodelic Sounds - Underwater Chant 11/4/66 (Bonus Track)

23. Hal Blaine Vega-Tables Promo Session 11/11/66 (Bonus Track)

24. Heroes And Villains: Early Version Outtake Sections 1/67 - 2/67 (Bonus Track)

Disc: 5

1. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 2/18/66 (The Pet Sounds Session)

2. Good Vibrations: Gold Star 4/9/66

3. Good Vibrations: Western 5/4/66 (First Chorus)

4. Good Vibrations: Western 5/4/66 (Second Chorus & Fade)

5. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Part 1)

6. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Parts 2 & 3)

7. Good Vibrations: Sunset Sound 5/24/66 (Part 4)

8. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Part C)

9. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Chorus)

10. Good Vibrations: Western 5/27/66 (Fade Sequence)

11. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 1)

12. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 3)

13. Good Vibrations (Inspiration): Western 6/2/66 (Part 4)

14. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 1)

15. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 2 & verse)

16. Good Vibrations: Western 6/16/66 (Part 2 continued)

17. Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 1)

18. Good Vibrations: Western 6/18/66 (Part 2)

19. Good Vibrations (Persuasion): Western 9/1/66

20. Good Vibrations: Western 9/1/66 (new bridge)

21. Good Vibrations: Session Masters

22. Good Vibrations single version stereo track

23. Good Good Good Vibrations (first version with overdubs) 3/66

24. Good Vibrations: Alternate Edit 8/24/66

Disc: 6

1. Our Prayer (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

2. Gee (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

3. Heroes and Villains (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

4. Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

5. I'm In Great Shape (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

6. Barnyard (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

7. The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

8. Cabin Essence (Side One) [LP Vinyl]

9. Wonderful (Side Two) [LP Vinyl]

10. Look (Song for Children) (Side Two) [LP Vinyl]

11. Child Is Father of the Man (Side Two) [LP Vinyl]

12. Surf's Up (Side Two) [LP Vinyl]

Disc: 7

1. I Wanna Be Around / Workshop (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

2. Vega-Tables (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

3. Holidays (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

4. Wind Chimes (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

5. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (Fire) (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

6. Love to Say Dada (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

7. Good Vibrations (Side Three) [LP Vinyl]

8. Your Welcome - Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]

9. Vega-Tables - Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]

10. Wind Chimes - Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]

11. Cabin Essence - Session Highlights and Stereo Backing Track (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]

12. Surf's Up - Session Excerpt and Stereo Mix (Side Four) [LP Vinyl]

Disc: 8

1. A side: HEROES AND VILLAINS Part One [Vinyl 45]

2. B side: HEROES AND VILLAINS Part Two [Vinyl 45]

Disc: 9

1. A side: VEGA-TABLES [Vinyl 45]

2. B Side: SURF'S UP [Vinyl 45]

You should see the thread on the Smiley Smile message board about the box set. It is over 200 pages long. I may very well go for the 170 deal if I can afford it. I had sort of stopped checking for a release date, and then happened to check the Beach Boys Fan Club site the other day and found the links.

I'm going to eventually get the big set but I'll probably wait for awhile and get it used when it's a little cheaper on Amazon (that's how I got the Pet Sounds box). Until then all of the boots I have will tie me over.

--Mike

If you bought at Amazon and the price comes down again before it is released, they will generally charge you the lower price.

Yeah,saw that. Never did a pre order before, do you know if they charge your card right away or when it ships?

My 3rd BB box as well. Pretty funny, i have 3 sinatra boxes, will be 3 BB's and 4 or 5 more of other artists.

Official Site (Beach Boys.com)

Several special SMiLE Sessions packages will be available for purchase exclusively on The BeachBoys.com including:

- The SMiLE Sessions 2CD edition paired with a limited edition SMiLE t-shirt

- The SMiLE Sessions 2CD edition paired with a limited edition autographed lithograph

- The SMiLE Sessions limited edition box set with light-up SMiLE Shop window on lid, autographed

- The SMiLE Sessions limited edition box set with light-up SMiLE Shop window on lid, autographed, paired with a custom-made SMiLE surfboard by Hobie

Also -

The Beach Boys are embracing technology and crowdsourcing to produce the first official music videos for "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains" by partnering with Tongal, the leading creative social platform. In Tongal’s first-ever music video initiative, fans can now collaborate to create the official music videos, as the project begins today (August 30) on Tongal.com, and consists of two phases - a concept phase and a video phase. The concept phase calls for fans to conceptualize the music video for “Heroes and Villains” or “Good Vibrations” in 250 characters or less. In the video phase, Tongal users can select one of the five winning concepts from phase one and produce a music video based on it. The video can be animated or live-action, trippy or classic – it can be whatever the fans want, as long as it’s their own. Cash prizes and special items, including an autographed custom Hobie longboard, will be awarded to Tongal users for the top submissions.

I think I may have to cancel my order and get one of those. Btw, I checked out thesmiley board and there was a thread about what is now the best umreleased album. Alot of talk about lifehouse which pointed me towards a real comprehensive book on the who from to 73. Cannot wait to readit, love tje lifehouse period.

I think I may have to cancel my order and get one of those. Btw, I checked out thesmiley board and there was a thread about what is now the best umreleased album. Alot of talk about lifehouse which pointed me towards a real comprehensive book on the who from to 73. Cannot wait to readit, love tje lifehouse period.

What book is that?

Two Beach Boys unreleased albums:

The Landlocked Sessions

Lei'd In Hawaii

What book is that?

Two Beach Boys unreleased albums:

The Landlocked Sessions

Lei'd In Hawaii

http://www.amazon.com/Fooled-Lifehouse-Quadrophenia-Genuine-Jawbone/dp/1906002355/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_2

Wont get fooled again, the who from life house to quadrophenia by Richie Unterberger

Do you have track lists for those unreleased albums. I thought I've seen them mentioned elsewhere

I think that it is good that they are finally releasing this massive box set and all the material from Smile. it only seems right that the surviving Beach Boys should reap the financial reward from this while they are still alive. Hell, it is only fair for the surviving Beach Boy fans to be able to hear this stuff too before they croak. Then again had they released this prior to the remake of Smile, it would not have been necessary for Brian Wilson to remake it.

LouieB

How great are the Mike Love linear notes going to be on this thing? Is he going to go the revisionist route and claim he was in favor of it, is he going to eat crow, this might be worth the price of admission alone.

--Mike

How great are the Mike Love linear notes going to be on this thing? Is he going to go the revisionist route and claim he was in favor of it, is he going to eat crow, this might be worth the price of admission alone.

--Mike

Funny, i saying this exact same thing to a friend yesterday except the chances of him eating crow are none. This might be up there with the biggest loads of crap ever written. Cant wait to hear how he was the supportive voice but brians demons just didn't allow him to finish. This is going to be good.

Funny, i saying this exact same thing to a friend yesterday except the chances of him eating crow are none. This might be up there with the biggest loads of crap ever written. Cant wait to hear how he was the supportive voice but brians demons just didn't allow him to finish. This is going to be good.

Hope he goes full Fredo Corelone in Godfather Two: "I'm smart!!! Not like everybody says!!!" I'm of the opinion that by wrecking momentum on Smile, Love single handedly did more harm to his band's legacy and potential than anyone else in the history of music. Ultimately, Brian was going to have emotional issues regardless but if Love would have just trusted Wilson's genius not only would we have had Smile in 67 but what would have happened after Smile w/a confident Wilson. Still what we got from them from 67-73 was very impressive, I like the Surf's Up album as much as anything.

--Mike

The price has already gone up $60?

I thought it usually goes down until after the first week of sale.

I don't know what to think, but I definitely want the cheapest 5 CD configuration. Not sure of the need of bonus 7". Is that H&V supposed to be the famous long cut since it's cut across 2 sides?

Not sure about the Vega-Tables/Surf's Up single - are these supposed to be different mixes or something?

Looking at the back of the BW version released a few years ago - it looks like pretty much only one section is moved around.

An old version I had someone put together had Good Vibes as the kinda middle biggie song and then Surf's Up as the ultimate finale, which that Child Is the Father of the man vocal section is just incredible, not sure how anything can follow that. It's been too long since I listened to the BW version to remember how I felt about it then.