Hope he goes full Fredo Corelone in Godfather Two: "I'm smart!!! Not like everybody says!!!" I'm of the opinion that by wrecking momentum on Smile, Love single handedly did more harm to his band's legacy and potential than anyone else in the history of music. Ultimately, Brian was going to have emotional issues regardless but if Love would have just trusted Wilson's genius not only would we have had Smile in 67 but what would have happened after Smile w/a confident Wilson. Still what we got from them from 67-73 was very impressive, I like the Surf's Up album as much as anything.

--Mike

67-73 is actually the BB period i listen to most. The albums are flawed but there are some incredible tunes there, maybe some of the most under appreciated rock records ever.

I would agree with your assessment of mr. Loves effect on smile and their career. I would love to visit the parallel universe where smile came out in Jan 67 and how pepper would have been viewed. I always thought that in its time, smile would have been appreciated for what it was and pepper would not have been viewed as ground breaking but im not as sure now. I mean PS did come out in its time and wasn't appreciated, at least in the states and smile would have been much more difficult. Although, it could have ushered in the height of the psychedelic era and been revered so who knows.

All i know is, I'm glad it got finished 7 years ago, BWPS totally exceeded my expectations and now this box is the icing on the cake. When i got exposed to smile in 1990, Id never had bet the story would end this way.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read a relevant and quite spot on tweet from Long Winters frontman, the immaculately bearded, John Roderick: "If I had to act "angry" in a movie, I would just imagine Beach Boy Mike Love describing his theory of the universe."

So, it's hard for me to say because as obsessed as I am with the music and culture of that era, I was born in 85 so I have no real sense of what would have been accepted culturally in 67. I would think though with Good Vibrations being as big of a hit as it was in the fall of 66, Smile would have been accepted. It might not have sold like Pepper did, but I think both albums would have been sort of the yin-yang of the times in the way Pet Sound-Revolver were the year before. Don't know if Pepper's perception changes at all with the release of Smile, it was still awfully groundbreaking in terms of the recording process. And as great as the Smile stuff is with A Day In The Life in their arsenal, The Beatles weren't sweating anyone. (Though I personally feel Surf's Up is it's equal). The book George Martin wrote about the recording of Pepper is one of my favorite reads.

Speaking of books, if you haven't checked out Domenic Priore's book on the Smile sessions, it''s really good and the David Leaf doc on Smile is phenomenal too.

--Mike

Yeah, ive read the priore book. I find it funny that he is still given credabilty given that all his theories prior to bwps were that smile was going to be half instrumental. It always seemed obvious to me that the reason half of what we had was instrumental because either the vox werent finished or the bootleggers didnt have them. To that point, im still holding out hope that this release will have full 66-67 vox on worms and child but I think thats a long shot.

The box is up on Amazon.ca for $124 (plus all our Ontario taxes). Checked the .com site and it's listed for $170 right now. Does anybody remember when a new record was $3.99?

Not sure how old you are but I do. When you consider that way back people used to have to pay 75 cents or a dollar for a 78 RPM we are actually getting a bargain with this box set. Back in the 1920s and 30 and 40s that was a ton of dough for two songs.

LouieB

The box is up on Amazon.ca for $124 (plus all our Ontario taxes). Checked the .com site and it's listed for $170 right now. Does anybody remember when a new record was $3.99?

It looks like it's about $135 or so in USD with shipping - no Free Shipping out of country - so I pre-ordered from there from the time being. I'm guessing my bank will charge some kind of fee for currency conversion, but I wouldn't think that would be more than a few dollars. From what I understand I can always Cancel the order as long as the item hasn't shipped, so if the US price equals that or lower I'll go with that. I would hope the Canadian manufactured product would be virtually identical.

• 4 weeks later...

Heard Marcella on the radio this morning on the way to work - good tune. I don't think I ever heard it before, but I do not listen to the Beach Boys very often.

The below is from Wiki - I did not hear the "essence of the Rolling Stones" in the tune at all.

The tune was named for a woman who was working as Brian Wilson's masseuse at the time. Wilson has said that musically, he was trying to capture the essence of the Rolling Stones, without eliminating the well-known Beach Boys sound

It's on the Carl and The Passions - "So Tough" album.

The Smile box is down to 133 now on Amazon. I hope I can get the bread together to buy it.

It is much cheaper on Amazon Canada even with the $10 shipping to the US. The exchange rate is pretty close and it is $103.xx right now. I have pre-ordered at both and will delete the higher one when it gets close to November 1st.

It's on the Carl and The Passions - "So Tough" album.

So is that considered a Carl solo album or a Beach Boy record? Also noticed that Blondie Chaplin was on this album - didn't realize he was part of the Beach Boys for a bit.

Forget it I see it is a Beach Boy record

Edited by calvino

So is that considered a Carl solo album or a Beach Boy record? Also noticed that Blondie Chaplin was on this album - didn't realize he was part of the Beach Boys for a bit.

Forget it I see it is a Beach Boy record

Yes - along with Ricky Fataar.

He is also on the Holland album.

And -

The Beach Boys In Concert is a good live album.

There are some new tracks on the official Beach Boys Facebook page from the Smile box (Vega-Tables).

Concur. For a lifelong waif this guy seems to line his pockets atany and every opportunity.

Speaking of VDP. I saw him mentioned in the music credits for this $3 DVD I bought of Goin' South - a Jack Nicholson directing/starring comedy western (the film he did right before The Shining).

Does anyone have an opinion on VDP's solo albums? I have long wondered about Song Cycle.

Speaking of VDP. I saw him mentioned in the music credits for this $3 DVD I bought of Goin' South - a Jack Nicholson directing/starring comedy western (the film he did right before The Shining).

Does anyone have an opinion on VDP's solo albums? I have long wondered about Song Cycle.

I like song cycle. Capital city is kinda reminiscent of it. If you don't like cap city, stay away.

I also love marcella. The Carl and the Passions/holland 2fer is really good. There are a couple Dennis songs that were tabbed for a supposed solo record, cuddle up and make it good that I think are fantastic.

I like song cycle. Capital city is kinda reminiscent of it. If you don't like cap city, stay away.

I also love marcella. The Carl and the Passions/holland 2fer is really good. There are a couple Dennis songs that were tabbed for a supposed solo record, cuddle up and make it good that I think are fantastic.

When I first heard the song, I thought of a few BB songs. I posted that in one of those threads about the new album.

I think I have read more about Parks than I have actually heard him.

When I first heard the song, I thought of a few BB songs. I posted that in one of those threads about the new album.

I think I have read more about Parks than I have actually heard him.

Yeah, cap city is dripping with different influences. It think vdp is an acquired taste. I don't have a lot of his stuff and don't listen often but I like it when I hear it.

Yeah, I love Capitol City. It most reminds me of The Beatles "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" with it's chopped up circus-esque organs, etc.

I take it that type of song is more or less referred to as Tin Pan Alley? Songs like When I'm 64 or Honey Pie fit in with that, as well as songwriters like Harry Nilsson (who I only have 2 albums of) and Randy Newman (who I really have heard very little of).

I think John Lennon called these types of songs 'granny music.'

It was then funny that he did a similar thing imo with Crippled Inside on Imagine.

Van Dyke Parks has, just now, got a compilation out called Arrangements Vol. 1 which is the best place to start - whilst most of the tracks are very rare (first time on cd etc...) in many ways they are his most accessible.

tracks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzmxt-_QoDU

The other thing is Van Dyke Parks produced Randy Newman's debut album - Randy Newman Creates Something New Under The Sun. He also arranged some of the tracks from the Beau Brummel's - Bradley's Barn. I'd recommend both of these, then I'd also recommend getting Song Cycle and Discover America (both sound quite different, but both great). And then, well that's it really - apart from the fact that he arranged the orchestration on Joanna Newsom's Ys, if you haven't heard that, then it's a must too.