• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten the Smile Sessions yet? I'm still undecided on whether to go for broke with the huge box set or just get the 2-disc version.

Yes, go for broke. I had an ear to ear smile (no pun meant, seriously) as I went through it . Without a doubt, the coolest packaged muaic item I own. The version of smile is like the cleanest fan mix youve ever heard and I havent made it through the bonus stuff yet but the packging is just incredible, worth every penny.

the actual album is great. so much better than that broadway sounding redux. i'm at a loss as to why they just didn't release this instead. i could do with out the 30 versions of HaV as well as GV. is the single disc available?

I don't think so.

Folks are gonna just download that, anyway. They need to sell the whole package to make any money on the damn thing, methinks.

the actual album is great. so much better than that broadway sounding redux. i'm at a loss as to why they just didn't release this instead. i could do with out the 30 versions of HaV as well as GV. is the single disc available?

He says he was affraid of touching the old stuff - he thought people wouldn't like it. He says that before the 2004 album he started playing a few of the smile songs live and was surprised people loved them so much, which gave him the confidence to do the 2004 thing. Then, when he got the praise from the 2004 version, it gave him enough confidence to put out this. I think all that stuff shows how destroyed he was that Mike Love acted the way he did, and that the rest of the band didn't stick up for him - those views of the music couldn't be based on what he thought himself of it all.

It's not loads of versions of those tracks, it's session highlights from each section from those songs, so nothing repeats itself, as such. Really, it's mental how he even managed to finish good vibrations, with using that method. If he was the same person making that music, but around today with computer editing, he'd have had the whole lot finished in a couple of weeks and not gone mental (which is why The Wondermints were able to do what they did with re-recording it all so easily).

are there 'new' overdubs on this a la the recent stones and bruce?

No overdubs at all.

It's still nothing at all like it would have been if it had been finished in 1967. All those minor tracks between the big songs would have been sections within Heroes & Villians or Surf's Up etc... and never have been given so much space on the album - and therefore each of those big songs would have been even better than they sound now - which pretty amazing. But, other than the fact that they copied the 2004 running order (which I guess they had no option to do, really) - I've got no complaints.

The greatest thing about it all to me is just how far ahead he was compared to Sgt Pepper with the sound (just ignoring who wrote better songs and focusing on the production) - that's the thing I don't get, when he says he heard that album he thought The Beatles had beaten him to the punch.

Has anyone gotten the Smile Sessions yet? I'm still undecided on whether to go for broke with the huge box set or just get the 2-disc version.

Well if you are interested in the packaging and the vinyl listening experience the big set is certainly worth it. The session book is great, the packaging is tremendous and the vinyl sounds amazing. If you can deal with just getting the tunes, I'd go 2-disc version and search out an illegal download of the full boxset. I don't know if and where they are, after I bought the box at Best Buy Tuesday morning, I made it a point to stop looking for torrents just in case I had any buyer's remorse. But you know, I've been obsessed with this album for a better chunk of my life, there's even stuff on this I haven't heard in my boxes of bootlegs for this thing and it's never sounded better.

--Mike

I am going to start calling people "shithawk." That's tremendous.

Well if you are interested in the packaging and the vinyl listening experience the big set is certainly worth it. The session book is great, the packaging is tremendous and the vinyl sounds amazing. If you can deal with just getting the tunes, I'd go 2-disc version and search out an illegal download of the full boxset. I don't know if and where they are, after I bought the box at Best Buy Tuesday morning, I made it a point to stop looking for torrents just in case I had any buyer's remorse. But you know, I've been obsessed with this album for a better chunk of my life, there's even stuff on this I haven't heard in my boxes of bootlegs for this thing and it's never sounded better.

--Mike

I have basically avoided listening to any bootlegs or other versions floating around, and this recording is the first time I'm hearing it. It's terrific.

It's from The Trailer Park Boys.

I think there is a book written by David Leaf that is good.

Yeah, that one is worth seeking out, but it's hard to find. Another 80's title that sadly went out of print. I also highly recommend Domenic Priore's book on the Smile sessions and Charles L. Granata's book about Pet Sounds, if you're interested in those specific records.

Yeah, that one is worth seeking out, but it's hard to find. Another 80's title that sadly went out of print. I also highly recommend Domenic Priore's book on the Smile sessions and Charles L. Granata's book about Pet Sounds, if you're interested in those specific records.

I have the Smile book. I also have the Brian Wilson book.

I also have a book called The Beach Boys in Their Own Words that I had been trying to find for decades, and I found it in a record store in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

--Mike

To follow up on my earlier recommendation of this thing; if you have been at all obsessed with Smile, buy it. It is so nice to hear it without the tape hiss and the some of the bonus stuff is really cool. It actually isn't the same experience as the Pet Sounds box. On that, with sessions you could hear how the songs evolved in the studio until they got to the final take. With Smile, the thing was so modular and scattered that you don't get that experience. But having clean versions of all of it is a must and as I said, the packaging alone may be worth the price.

If anyone can point to a rip of the vinyl 45" of H&M pts 1 and 2, i'd be grateful, i don't have a working turntable.