• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Crowes at the Riv

How was the show?

Saw that there was tickets still available for tonight, but wussed out. ( I was surprised that tickets were still available on Friday for Sat's show)

How was the show?

Saw that there was tickets still available for tonight, but wussed out. ( I was surprised that tickets were still available on Friday for Sat's show)

Good show. 5 covers was a bit much, but they are playing well. Jackie has improved as a fit for the band since I saw them in April (still the poorest fit among the guitarists I've seen them play with). Highlights for me were some of the deeper cuts: Make Glad and Ozone Mama in particular. I'm thinking about making the trek to Milwaukee this upcoming Friday.

These were their 4th and 5th shows in Chicago in the last 6 months which may partially explain the non-sellouts.

Answered my own question - it's called Last Time.

She was really entertaining. I don't know if I enjoyed her banter or music more... Either way, thinking of going to her show in Harvard Square on the 17th.

Saw the Giving Tree Band last nite. Another wonderful nite of great music. I'm gonna be sad when they hit the big time but I'll also understand. In the mean time, I'm seeing them as much as I can. Next show on my horizon is 12/8 at the hotbed of music in Yorkville IL, Casa Santiago!

Hahaha.  You are all correct.

Also this: I go to concerts fairly regularly, but my local friends do not.  So when they get their hormones all spinning and want to go to one, I'll go along, even if it's not my cup of tea.  And, I've decided to be less judge-y and enjoy it for what it is-eye and ear candy.

How was it and how loud was it?

written on a different board:

i'd give the show a B-. probably a large piece of the detractor is where i actually was...next time i guess i need to actually take a look at what the tickets say before i buy them. i bought two right when they went on sale, and assumed i was getting GA (ie, floor) tickets. Nope, get to the venue and discover we're in 3rd floor seating, 3rd row from the back. WTF? it's not like tickets went *that* fast...there has to be at least 1200 GA tickets. anyway, we secured a standing spot closer, on the rail at the right side, but still...not ideal.

visually they're a boring band, but the visual backdrops worked well. set list was pretty solid too... about what i would expect of a mix from their 3 LPs. "Wonder 2" was a stinker but that was about it. i thought some of the pacing was faster than it should be, esp on "When You Sleep." 

The sound was kinda muddy, but again that's probably a function of where we were. i had friends on the floor saying it sounded great. it wasn't as loud as i was expecting, either. but the noise section did live up to its billing, though far shorter than the 2008 show. there is something really awesome about a band pumping out blistering loud white noise for ~8 minutes to a full and fairly large club.

How was it and how loud was it?

I thought it was fantastic.  We were on the floor on the side and the sound was great.  I went up closer on the left side at one point and the sound was not as good; it got muddier as I got closer.  Weird crowd.  People pretty into it during the songs but between songs it was really quiet, both on stage and in the audience.  It actually wasn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. 

I thought it was fantastic.  We were on the floor on the side and the sound was great.  I went up closer on the left side at one point and the sound was not as good; it got muddier as I got closer.  Weird crowd.  People pretty into it during the songs but between songs it was really quiet, both on stage and in the audience.  It actually wasn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. 

Thanks for the reviews...