• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha we should bring our two shows together!

Somehow I don't think we'd get Gary and Mark to agree with that plan  :)   How was Olson?  Gary also had Karen Grotberg from the Jayhawks on piano along with a bassist and played a nice long set of mostly post-Olson Jayhawks a la Sound of Lies, Smile, and Rainy Day Music. Mark Olson's playing Schubas on Thursday and I might go, so am curious how he was solo.

Somehow I don't think we'd get Gary and Mark to agree with that plan  :)   How was Olson?  Gary also had Karen Grotberg from the Jayhawks on piano along with a bassist and played a nice long set of mostly post-Olson Jayhawks a la Sound of Lies, Smile, and Rainy Day Music. Mark Olson's playing Schubas on Thursday and I might go, so am curious how he was solo.

Good show...pretty good setlist. He played People on This Place On Everyside and King of Kings which I love. Also played Clouds, Sister Cry, Two Angels,  Blue and Over My Shoulder. On this tour he is playing with his Significant other. So it is just him on guitar and her on Bongos and other various instruments. Some of his solo songs were pretty odd but it was a good evening of entertainment. Olson is a real nature sentimental type who reminised about old times def a different show then Louris. I got to talk with him for a few minutes about health care, oil rigs, Norway and cars (all of which he started talking about) which was interesting. I also talked about music with him for a smidge.

Good show...pretty good setlist. He played People on This Place On Everyside and King of Kings which I love. Also played Clouds, Sister Cry, Two Angels,  Blue and Over My Shoulder. On this tour he is playing with his Significant other. So it is just him on guitar and her on Bongos and other various instruments. Some of his solo songs were pretty odd but it was a good evening of entertainment. Olson is a real nature sentimental type who reminised about old times def a different show then Louris. I got to talk with him for a few minutes about health care, oil rigs, Norway and cars (all of which he started talking about) which was interesting. I also talked about music with him for a smidge.

Thanks for the recap!  Overlap: Gary's last song was "Blue".  Wonder if they played it at exactly the same time if the universe would implode?  I'd say Louris has been in a pretty sentimental mood the last couple of times I've seen him.  Last night he was saying how he is trying to talk Karen Grotberg out of quitting music (yet another sign that a Jayhawks re-reunion is not likely.)  He also name-checked Tweedy, Nels Cline and the Geraldine Fibbers, and thanked the sound guy, who he knew from the days when they used to do gigs with Uncle Tupelo.  I find him so much less imposing and more endearing solo.  His height and the dark glasses I think make him a little intimidating until you hear him talk, and then he is very self-deprecating and sweet.

Based on your positive comments, I think I'll try to go see Mark Olson this week.  Sounds like you had a nice chat with him.  Thanks again for the tips!

Thanks for the recap! Overlap: Gary's last song was "Blue". Wonder if they played it at exactly the same time if the universe would implode? I'd say Louris has been in a pretty sentimental mood the last couple of times I've seen him. Last night he was saying how he is trying to talk Karen Grotberg out of quitting music (yet another sign that a Jayhawks re-reunion is not likely.) He also name-checked Tweedy, Nels Cline and the Geraldine Fibbers, and thanked the sound guy, who he knew from the days when they used to do gigs with Uncle Tupelo. I find him so much less imposing and more endearing solo. His height and the dark glasses I think make him a little intimidating until you hear him talk, and then he is very self-deprecating and sweet.

Based on your positive comments, I think I'll try to go see Mark Olson this week. Sounds like you had a nice chat with him. Thanks again for the tips!

Nice... Reason I say louris wasn't as sentimental is he kept talking about starting over and not being Americana music when I last saw him. I hear last night louris played two hours and most of sound of lies! Nice! Must have been great with Karen.

Nice... Reason I say louris wasn't as sentimental is he kept talking about starting over and not being Americana music when I last saw him. I hear last night louris played two hours and most of sound of lies! Nice! Must have been great with Karen.

Yeah, he also said the last time I saw him about not being (or liking much about) Americana.  I can imagine that when you see yourself as a genre-bender, as he was, it irritates you to be categorized.  Fitzgerald's is such a warm, small room and thoroughly enjoyed the performance yesterday. Will try to see Olson this week, if work allows!

The Television show I saw last week in Athens, GA was phenomenal.   There was some discussion on here a while back about Richard Lloyd no longer being in the band, and how it is no longer really Television without him.  I disagree with that.  Richard is certainly missed, but his replacement, Jimmy Rip, was incredible.  Aside from it not being the "classic lineup" I don't know how their show could have been better.   Their tour is probably over by now, but if it's not and you have the chance, go see them.

So how was Justin?

Good.  Really good, actually.  Someone said, "it was like a broadway show," which was exactly what I was thinking throughout.  The stage production, the choreography were amazing.  He is a very good entertainer, chatty, making lots of audience contact.  The vocals were all filled in, but with that level of dancing, I imagine it had to be.  It was a long show, he did 30 songs!  I had to leave early to be able to chaperone a field trip for 6th graders the next day, but my friends filled me in on the rest.

Good.  Really good, actually.  Someone said, "it was like a broadway show," which was exactly what I was thinking throughout.  The stage production, the choreography were amazing.  He is a very good entertainer, chatty, making lots of audience contact.  The vocals were all filled in, but with that level of dancing, I imagine it had to be.  

are broadway dancers / singers 'filled in' or are they actually singing?

How was it?!

Yeah an extra nice treat!

It was the single strangest show I've ever seen.  And I'm counting the Stray Cats at a dive bar outside of Detroit in the early 90s post-rockabilly and pre-swing.  Less than 20 people were there and the energy was so low, the opener jumped off the stage after about 2 songs and did his show on the floor while we stood around him in a circle.  Mark Olson: lots of bongos, some meanderings about immigration and butterflies and Armenia, an outburst at a guy who seemed to be videoing the whole debacle (alienating at least 5% of the audience and making the rest of us really uncomfortable). Olson did do quite a few songs from Hollywood Town Hall, which is an all-time favorite of mine. And he ended with a super passionate rendition of a song called "Clifton Bridge" that I don't know but thought was lovely. Just so very odd in totality though.

It was the single strangest show I've ever seen. And I'm counting the Stray Cats at a dive bar outside of Detroit in the early 90s post-rockabilly and pre-swing. Less than 20 people were there and the energy was so low, the opener jumped off the stage after about 2 songs and did his show on the floor while we stood around him in a circle. Mark Olson: lots of bongos, some meanderings about immigration and butterflies and Armenia, an outburst at a guy who seemed to be videoing the whole debacle (alienating at least 5% of the audience and making the rest of us really uncomfortable). Olson did do quite a few songs from Hollywood Town Hall, which is an all-time favorite of mine. And he ended with a super passionate rendition of a song called "Clifton Bridge" that I don't know but thought was lovely. Just so very odd in totality though.

Thanks for the recap. I agree it was an interesting experience!