Huge Earthquake in Japan

Just for the sake of information, here are some other titles by that author:

"Heavy Metals Poisoning, Brain Injury, and Clandestine Weather Modification Programs Connecting the Dots"

"Chemtrails - The Latest Assault On Us"

Actually, Sparky, I do appreciate your vigilance on this. It's clear that the initial reports and evaluations did downplay the risk. This particular author just seems to be a bit of a wingbat.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the sake of information, here are some other titles by that author:

"Heavy Metals Poisoning, Brain Injury, and Clandestine Weather Modification Programs Connecting the Dots"

"Chemtrails - The Latest Assault On Us"

Actually, Sparky, I do appreciate your vigilance on this. It's clear that the initial reports and evaluations did downplay the risk. This particular author just seems to be a bit of a wingbat.

um, that's an understatement. in fact there is a lot of false information on that website in general. it appears the primary goal of this website is to scare the shit out of the general public.

just my opinion

It was also about 30 miles closer to the coast.... :ohwell

According to the guardian.

The earthquake struck 30 miles beneath the water off the coast of Sendai, about the same depth and location as the magnitude 9.0 quake on 11 March.

I can never figure out if the reactors in question are getting better...

They're not...

TEPCO entertaining no hopes of quick fix

My link

Strawberries, mushrooms with Cesium-137 found in Northern California; 5 of 6 items in food chain sampling test have radioactive particles

My link

Plutonium Carries Serious Risks to Public Health and the Environment

Physicians for Social Responsibility

The release of plutonium from at least one of Japan’s Fukushima nuclear reactors carries serious risks to public health and the environment, according to Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR). Inhalation of a plutonium particle the size of a speck of dust can lead to lung cancer and death. The particle’s extensive half-life also means it will impact the environment for thousands of years if released into the soil, air or sea.

“The discovery of plutonium in the area around the Fukushima plant is another indication of the seriousness of this accident,” said Alan H. Lockwood, MD, a member of the Board of Physicians for Social Responsibility. “The dangers of such a release, to public health and the environment, cannot be overstated. If a minute amount of plutonium is trapped in the lung, it will deliver an intense dose of radiation to a very small volume of tissue for a very long time. This makes it highly carcinogenic.”

“Japan’s government and TEPCO must be completely transparent about the facts of this situation,” said Jeff Patterson, DO, immediate past president of Physicians for Social Responsibility. “In order to properly protect the public and our precious natural resources, it’s vital that they give us a full accounting of what they’ve discovered around the plant.”

There are two key public health aspects associated with the release of plutonium into the environment:

* Plutonium Half-Life: Plutonium-239 has a half-life of 24,200 years. If it is inhaled, it will stay lodged in the body for decades.

* Plutonium’s Alpha Particle: Plutonium-239 emits an alpha particle as it slowly decays. Alpha particles have huge amounts of energy, many times more than a gamma photon for example. When the energy of any source of radiation is deposited absorbed by a cell, it can cause damage to critical cell functions and the cell’s DNA. The higher the energy of that radioactive decay, the more that energy is converted into tissue damage. If a cell absorbs an alpha particle, the probability of it damaging that cell is very high. A microscopic speck of PU-239 sufficient to cause cancer.

Plutonium is one of the most toxic substances known. Virtually all plutonium is created as a reactor operates and is present in all radioactive spent fuel. The Fukushima reactor #3 is of particular concern because its fuel is a mixture of uranium and plutonium oxides (MOX fuel) and the reactor therefore contains much larger quantities of plutonium than reactors which use uranium fuel.

The risks associated with plutonium are vastly different from those associated with other radionuclides so far released from the Fukushima reactors. Iodine-131, for example, has a half-life of 8 days and can also be potentially blocked from absorption into the thyroid by taking potassium iodide. With plutonium, the half-life is 24,200 years, and there is no treatment option for blocking the effects of exposure.

The plutonium from the damaged fuel can be released into the environment through steam releases, explosive gas releases or the release of contaminated water. It will primarily have effects in the local area, but can be carried away by the wind and water and could travel outside of Japan.

My link

Don't worry, radiation is good for you...

Radiation Detected In Drinking Water In 13 More US Cities, Cesium-137 In Vermont Milk

Radiation from Japan has been detected in drinking water in 13 more American cities, and cesium-137 has been found in American milk—in Montpelier, Vermont—for the first time since the Japan nuclear disaster began, according to data released by the Environmental Protection Agency late Friday.

Milk samples from Phoenix and Los Angeles contained iodine-131 at levels roughly equal to the maximum contaminant level permitted by EPA, the data shows. The Phoenix sample contained 3.2 picoCuries per liter of iodine-131. The Los Angeles sample contained 2.9. The EPA maximum contaminant level is 3.0, but this is a conservative standard designed to minimize exposure over a lifetime, so EPA does not consider these levels to pose a health threat.

The cesium-137 found in milk in Vermont is the first cesium detected in milk since the Fukushima-Daichi nuclear accident occurred last month. The sample contained 1.9 picoCuries per liter of cesium-137, which falls under the same 3.0 standard.

Radioactive isotopes accumulate in milk after they spread through the atmosphere, fall to earth in rain or dust, and settle on vegetation, where they are ingested by grazing cattle. Iodine-131 is known to accumulate in the thyroid gland, where it can cause cancer and other thyroid diseases. Cesium-137 accumulates in the body’s soft tissues, where it increases risk of cancer, according to EPA.

Airborne contamination continues to cross the western states, the new data shows, and Boise has seen the highest concentrations of radioactive isotopes in rain so far.

A rainwater sample collected in Boise on March 27 contained 390 picocures per liter of iodine-131, plus 41 of cesium-134 and 36 of cesium-137. EPA released this result for the first time yesterday. Typically several days pass between sample collection and data release because of the time required to collect, transport and analyze the samples.

My link

By the way, Obama was on the news toady about the radiation problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OBxj0tI_txs

Mid level radiation to hit the West Coast on Sunday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z87CJv4T4_o#at=235

Most comprehensive chronology of Japanese nuclear disaster and its' dangers...

Plutonium and Uranium Detected

My link

So should we all stop eating food?

Yes. Until the zombies arise. Then you can munch human flesh.

Seriously, though - what is there to do? Only eat canned food from last year? Only drink really old bottled water? Panic?

No, I think we need to channel this outrage into demanding that first and foremost our nuclear reactors are safe; that no more new reactors are built; and that all of our energy money and effort be focused on ramping up truly clean energy sources like solar, wind, geothermal, tidal, wave, etc. There's no reason why every municipal building in the southwest (and in many other areas of the country) doesn't have a full array of solar panels on their roof.

All these articles about how bad the radiation is here in the US -- can you imagine what it would be like if a similar accident occurred on US soil? We need to prevent that from happening.

So should we all stop eating food?

Do what you want or feel you need to do. Do you want to be informed to be able to make proper decisions for yourself and your family? There is plenty to eat that has been processed before the disaster. Food from the West Coast has been contaminated for over a month now. Wouldn't you want to know that? The point being, your government and its' agencies are acting like there is nothing to worry about. I know it is sad, but I've provided you with more information in this thread than they have and all I get is sarcasm. They are the ones who should be the target of your anger and frustratiion. You will be able to take precautions if you know what to avoid and what to watch out for. Remember, no amount of radiation is good for you.If this scares you, so be it. This is not funny stuff we are dealing with. It accumulates in your body and the situation in Japan is getting worse everyday. All you can do is reduce the amount you take in the best you can. Cesium has a half live of 30 years and plutonuim's is several thousand years. Their particles are being detected all over the US as well as Europe. Uranium iodine has a half life of a few days and can be dealt with by taking potassium iodine. No evidence of stopping the flow of radiation from Japan has been cited in any reports I've seen or read. If you want to ignore this fact and act as if everything is fine, join the crowd.

Cesium-137

Cesium-137 and strontium-90 are the most dangerous radioisotopes to the environment in terms of their long-term effects. Their intermediate half-lives of about 30 years suggests that they are not only highly radioactive but that they have a long enough halflife to be around for hundreds of years. Iodine-131 may give a higher initial dose, but its short halflife of 8 days ensures that it will soon be gone. Besides its persistence and high activity, cesium-137 has the further insidious property of being mistaken for potassium by living organisms and taken up as part of the fluid electrolytes. This means that it is passed on up the food chain and reconcentrated from the environment by that process.

Iodine-131

Iodine-131 is a major concern in any kind of radiation release from a nuclear accident because it is volatile and because it is highly radioactive, having an 8 day half-life. It is of further concern in the human body because iodine is quickly swept up by the thyroid, so that the total intake of iodine becomes concentrated there. The thyroid has a maximum uptake of iodine, however, so some protection against iodine releases can be afforded by taking potassium iodide tablets to load up the thyroid to capacity so that radioactive iodine would be more likely to be excreted.

Plutonium-242

Recent research with one of the least radioactive isotopes of plutonium (plutonium-242, which has a half-life of 376,000 years) indicates that plutonium in the body may contribute to the development of tumors. In general, however, plutonium isotopic mixtures that are commonly encountered in the nuclear fuel cycle, nuclear weapons programs, or thermoelectric generator applications exhibit much higher radiological toxicity than chemical toxicity.

I took this photo from the Hampton Beach pier this morning.

boatants2.jpg

:lol

I understand the need for diligence and the need for a reexamination of our nuclear standards, but a lot of the things posted here just come off as conspiratorial and alarmist without any real substance behind them.

Isn't it ironic that the very same folks who were leading the fear-mongering last year in a previous thread about the theory of man-made global warming, or climate change, or whatever you guys are calling it now, are now accusing me of fear-mongering and being concerned about the real and probably the worst environmental disaster to hit our planet in our lifetimes. Where is the concern being shown by the global community who for years have preached about the theoretical end of the world scenarios of catastrophic climate change when a real threat to mankind is currently raging in all it's fury? Let's be consistent here people. I'd take your global warming any day over this...

Human embryos in US likely bioaccumulating radioactive iodine, cesium, and strontium says physician who taught at Harvard Med School

My link