Looking for a decent turntable

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crosley

Any of these are probably much cheaper at a retail store that carries them. I know that I've seen them relatively cheap at Target. My father has one and it works great.

Hope this helps (and this message doesn't get deleted like 2 of my other messages in another silly stupid thread).

Crosley

Any of these are probably much cheaper at a retail store that carries them. I know that I've seen them relatively cheap at Target. My father has one and it works great.

Hope this helps (and this message doesn't get deleted like 2 of my other messages in another silly stupid thread).

Those things are junk, man.

For the money Rega turntables are very hard to beat: Rega

Guest Speed Racer

For the same money that could buy you 2.5 Audio Technicas, they actually look like they've been beaten already.

Not to say that they don't look real classy, because they do, but $445 is definitely in a tier above "affordable" for many.

For the money Rega turntables are very hard to beat: Rega

Do Regas come with dust covers? I've never seen a photo of a Rega with one. In a house with cats, a turntable without a dust cover is worthless.

Those things are junk, man.

Agree. I've got a Technics SL-D20 automatic, direct drive. It's bottom to middle of the road for Technics which makes it middle to high road compared to others(minus high end tables). I prefer auto and direct drives. They are all over ebay for anywhere from $80-$250+. I was patient and ended up getting one in great condition with dustcover for $90 shipped. Keep in mind if your going old turntable with a newer receiver your going to need a preamp which you can pick up for about $60....O.K. I'll shut up now.

The one I have is old. It was given to me years and years ago. When I went to find a new needle for it recently, I found that it sometimes sells for several hundred dollars. Of course, I had to take it apart last weekend due to one of the built-in RCA cables not working. It has somehow came apart on the inside, so I need to solder it.

I have recently got my stereo system together for the first time in a long time. Now all I need is a tape deck.

Do Regas come with dust covers? I've never seen a photo of a Rega with one. In a house with cats, a turntable without a dust cover is worthless.

I'm pretty sure the Rega's still come with lids included, though you'd never know it by the pictures on the internet. You can just make out the indentation at the back where the lid hinge slides in place:

RP1-cool-grey-cut-out.gif

I used to have a Rega Planar 3 years ago, great turntable. I'm thinking of getting a new Rega as my current turntable is acting up.

I've seen photos of them with dust covers.

I was able to find a photo of one after a bit of searching. Good to know.

I'm perfectly happy with my Audio Technica, but I might someday spring for a Rega if I have a wad of money to burn.

My first table was a cheap Audio Technica that I got new circa Shout at the Devil and Rocky 4 Soundtrack. I was 100% hapy with it for 20+ years, then I got a low end Stanton and the sound quality was significantly better than the AT. Then I got my current AT, and I noticed an improvement in sound quality over the Stanton. I assume I'd notice yet another jump in sound quality if I got a Rega.

In any case, if I had $450 to spend on a turntable, it'd be very hard for me not to get another $200 AT and spend $200 on vinyl and whatever was left over on Jim Beam. :lol

Looks like I have cracked board in mine. I found another on Ebay. I offered the guy 50 bucks and he went for it.

It is a Sansui PD-10.

The one I just bought has a dust cover, which I never had with the one I have.

I am going to keep the one I have for parts.

I have a Denon DP-7F that I bought a long, long time ago but it still works (although I really want that Rega). What I need is some new speakers. Thoughts on those?

I have a Denon DP-7F that I bought a long, long time ago but it still works (although I really want that Rega). What I need is some new speakers. Thoughts on those?

it's been so long since i bought speakers (25 years) i wouldn't know where to begin, but some advice i can offer is to bring a handful of cds of different musical styles that you are very familiar with, for assessing the sound of the speakers.

it's been so long since i bought speakers (25 years) i wouldn't know where to begin, but some advice i can offer is to bring a handful of cds of different musical styles that you are very familiar with, for assessing the sound of the speakers.

That's my problem also, have not really shopped for speakers in so long I don't even know what is available or good.

Me neither. My speakers were purchased at a Circuit City in an upper middle class shopping area. That was so long ago that the entire area has made a complete transformation into a Mexican gang territory.