• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I waited 9 months for my children to be born. I can hold out another month.

I waited nine months for my first child to be born, then waited another eleven days, and then had to see him pulled out back to front kicking and screaming.

Hopefully not an omen for this record. I'll nick a quick listen if it appears early.

Guys you got the analogy wrong. The baby has already been born, but we haven't been invited to see her yet. (yes the whole love is a girl). We are still waiting on an invite to see her. While we've been given a definite date, no doubt we would like to beat the crowds and meet her a little earlier.

Wilco’s ‘I Might’ Shows Promise For New Album

If you heard this new Wilco single “I Might” a few weeks back and thought it showed great promise for the upcoming record, you’re not alone. It’s a great tune. Now I have now heard the new Wilco album The Whole Love, and I can say it’s absolutely great. Totally the album I had hoped they still had in them after the last two decent, but ultimately sorta boring records. The experimental fire is back and it might be the best record of theirs since A Ghost Is Born. That’s probably all I’m allowed to say for now, but more later I’m sure. In the meantime, listen to this song again. It’s great.

Wilco Loves Its Label

Wilco’s new album The Whole Love is already assured to be among my favorite albums of the year, but it’s also the band’s best since A Ghost Is Born, if not Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It’s also the first record on their new label dBpm. The band released a 7″ single this summer to celebrate, with “I Might” and a great cover of Nick Lowe’s “I Love My Label.” Check out this nice video of them recording that song in their famed “Wilco Loft.”

it's funny, because the band has usually been pro-share. I mean they allowed YHF to be downloaded for free. They also have given away free EPs, streams, etc. Interesting that they havent been as sharing with the new album. Wilco makes it's money on the road anyway...

yeah, but a capture of a stream is usually knocked off of torrent sites for being trans-codes, and most of the intelligent download community does not even bother with those. So it wouldnt be as bad, and it would still encourage more pre-orders. At least I think it would...people that werent going to pre-order/buy the album, aren't going to regardless of when it leaks.

That's what the record companies don't understand about file sharers, they know it will eventaully leak, even if it is the day of release, that's not going to stop people from downloading it, and not paying for it. Only the true fans, and people that really love the album are going to jump for the retail copy. Personally I have stopped buying CDs, but will be buying the vinyl. I'm still going to download it the second it leaks...

I sort of have a tradition with my favorite bands. I go and buy the CD at my local record store the day their new album releases. I've been doing it for 10 years or so. The only Wilco leak I've ever taken advantage of was WTA.. I think leaks kind or ruin albums for me. I can't be sure, but I think it ruined MMJ's Evil Urges, and WTA for me.. There's just something about unwrapping a brand new album and listening while checking out the artwork etc.. A (often poor quality) leak just takes away the value.. At least for me..

I sort of have a tradition with my favorite bands. I go and buy the CD at my local record store the day their new album releases. I've been doing it for 10 years or so. The only Wilco leak I've ever taken advantage of was WTA.. I think leaks kind or ruin albums for me. I can't be sure, but I think it ruined MMJ's Evil Urges, and WTA for me.. There's just something about unwrapping a brand new album and listening while checking out the artwork etc.. A (often poor quality) leak just takes away the value.. At least for me..

this is sweet

yeah, what.cd and waffles.fm will ban it, but if you asked the vast majority of people who download music what a transcode was, they wouldn't have a clue in hell. it would be all over the more active, non-discriminating torrent sites (piratebay, etc.), plus SoulSeek, plus all of the upload sites (mediafire, etc.)

not to mention that even the discriminating downloaders (me) who really want to hear the album would download the shitty stream rip anyway.

i mean, i've pre-ordered, but i did it through amazon.com

-justin

Well Evil Urges was terrible, at least in my opinion MMJ hasn't put out anything great since It Still Moves. Wilco (TA) is the only album I don't own on retail, and I can thank the early leak for that. The only band I will buy completely blind is Radiohead. I had a pre-order of Wilco the album and actually cancelled it after hearing the record. Sad right?

I think they should allow people that have pre-ordered to stream the album...it would actually help increase pre-orders, and they would still be able to keep it from leaking.

What is some of the pre-order-ers end up hating it and spread the word to others it's not worth buying? That might actually end up decreasing the amount of pre-orders...

well if you are an artist, would you rather your listeners buy the album and hate it, and regret it? Or listen to and really enjoy it and then go out and buy it?

Wilco has a very dedicted fanbase, they don't really need to worry about the piracy stuff. The fans end up coming to see them live and buying a t-shirts anyway. How many Wilco T-shirts do you own? (that should be another topic)...I own 4. I also own two tote bags, a reusuable shopping bag, all of their DVDs, The Wilco Book, All their CDs (exccpet Wilco(TA)), and 3 of their albums on Vinyl. and have seen them live 4 times.

Once again I will remind you that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was given out for free way back when. I still went out and bought it. The retail music has become the least profitable part of the record industry for a reason. People want to hear before they spend their money.

That's why streaming early is the best solution to the problem.

So I ask...what if Wilco or any other band gives the album to media (which they have) and the media hate it, and that 6.0 review in pitchfork makes you not want to buy the album? It's the same scenerio, but now you are letting someone elses opinion effect who decides to listen to your music. If you allow people to stream the album, they can make the decision on their own...also if they have access to the stream, they are less likely to download it in the first place.

I miss the days of seemingly everybody not being able to hear a record until release day. It was like a holiday when R.E.M. had a new album on the shelves. Part of me thinks Wilco wants to build up that anticipation.

But in today's world that's impossible. It will leak widespread soon, and Wilco will be forced to stream at least a good portion of it on their website. I remember Jeff saying he doesn't like the thought of internet hacks deciding when his music gets heard. Once it's out, he'd just assume WILCO be the ones who put it out for everybody....at least that way they can encourage listeners to pre-order the record and/or merchandise.

"I Might" is VERY encouraging. It has a fun, loose sound all-around, including Jeff's delivery. Kinda makes me think of Bull Black Nova but not as dark.

The other 2 new songs I've heard (both acoustic) put off a LITTLE bit of the kinda-corny-ish-but-maybe-not, kinda-purposely-arty-farty-and-overly-sensitive-and-world-knowing-lyrics, not-"Dad rock"-but-I-understand-why-people-say-that vibe that occassionally showed up on the last 2 records. But I have a good feeling overall about what it will sound like.

Guys you got the analogy wrong. The baby has already been born, but we haven't been invited to see her yet. (yes the whole love is a girl). We are still waiting on an invite to see her. While we've been given a definite date, no doubt we would like to beat the crowds and meet her a little earlier.

To stretch the analogy to breaking point......I had the scan at five months (it is a boy!)and it was one ugly looking lump.

I miss the days of seemingly everybody not being able to hear a record until release day. It was like a holiday when R.E.M. had a new album on the shelves. Part of me thinks Wilco wants to build up that anticipation.

In all fairness, when an album leaks, it's just as much of a "holiday". At least to me. It's the loss of the "physical product" that has changed things. The younger generation will just download the songs, even if they buy them. Anyone can pretty much make their own CDs now. That's part of the reason why Vinyl has been selling better recently. People who want a "physical" product, can still have one, and an better one at that. Larger artwork, better sound, and other vinyl pacakging exclusives.