Record companies sometimes offer a stream to press. It would make sense because if the magazines want to make copy for a September issue they would need to hear the album now to make deadline. I bet it's out there in limited form. The album is probably being pressed at this very moment...

I don't know about streams but I know that record labels will send out marked cd's ahead of time, I have a my fair share of Neil Young water marked cds from back when I ran a bunch of mailing lists and web sites (Human Highway, Bad News Beat & Rusted Guitars).

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like to think of early low quality leaks as almost demos. You can get a good idea where the album will be, but I try not to make final judgement until I have the proper album in hand. Sometimes it makes an album even better...like you have this certain expectation based on the sound quality, and then when the actual album hits, it's like someone put a new coat of paint on your car. The album glistens.

Record companies have started streaming to the media instead of sending out CDs, mainly because it's a lot more difficult to "capture" a stream and convert it MP3 without it sounding like crap. So most of the torrent sites won't even allow it to be published. It also allows for better security in the form of log ins (the stream is usually only accessed via a record company server, and individual passwords go out to the press). So they know who is logging in and listening, and when.

Some recent bands have been sending Streams to NPR before they leak, and they debut there. The recent Panda Bear and Stephen Malkmus albums both streamed on NPR.com before leaking....

And it seems obvious that Jeff realized this..based on the album title, opening track,

I think most people forget that Wilco (The Song) was a tongue-in-cheek response to the whole "Joe, The Plumber" thing from McCain's campaign. Wilco debuted the song on The Colbert Report in 2008, but I have no idea if it was what is now the album version or not. I do remember a lot of people around here raving over it and commenting that the song was better than 80% of Sky Blue Sky or something like that. It was taken quite seriously right out of the gate, despite the fact that it was written for their appearance on Colbert during which Mikael Jorgensen taped over all the letters on his "YAMAHA" keyboard except "HA."

I think most people forget that Wilco (The Song) was a tongue-in-cheek response to the whole Joe The Plumber thing from McCain's campaign. Wilco debuted the song on The Colbert Report in 2008, and I have no idea if it was what is now the album version or not. I do remember a lot of people around here raving over it and commenting that the song was better than "80% of Sky Blue Sky" or something like that. It was taken quite seriously right out of the gate, despite the fact that it was written for their appearance on Colbert during which performance Mikael Jorgensen taped over all the letters on his "YAMAHA" keyboard except "HA."

Pretty sure it wasn't written SPECIFICALLY for Colbert, probably just made sense as odds are they already knew the album title/concept and the whole "Colbert will love you baby" thing worked.

Yeah I find it hard to believe that it's truly "out there" if it's not on What or Waffles. If it has though they will usually do a stream in roughly a week I'd say.

With SBS only three tracks leaked at first on some blog and then the whole thing leaked.

Pretty sure it wasn't written SPECIFICALLY for Colbert, probably just made sense as odds are they already knew the album title/concept and the whole "Colbert will love you baby" thing worked.

The night of their appearance, it was billed on air, by Jeff, as "a Colbert exclusive. This is the only place you'll be able to hear this."

Don't get your hopes up by looking at the link below. It's the only thing I found while searching. It looks like it is a dead link with 0 seeders & 0 leechers. I tried to download it as a zip file and it asked me to sign up for something. I then tried to torrent it and it had the obvious 0 seeders.

{link removed by u2roolz. for real. Your move now, dbpm}

It's also entirely possible that the people over at Sound Opinion have seen the above link and think that it is real.

Anyone have a screen name over there to check on the uploader? Or is that too Patriot Act-y?

It's not really a good idea to post links to commercial stuff here. You have to remember that just because Jeff may be easy going, those who who are involved in selling his music are probably not easy going.

I believe the last album leaked by way of a link on someone's Twitter account. There's no need to beg people - if you dig around you will find it at some point.