I think we're all getting a little cranky waiting for our big little band's new album. Now that we've had a sample of "Almost" I think a sample of "Jane Smiley's Boyfriend" is in order, please Wilco.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah..seeing a band for $15 bucks in a small club, then being forced to pay $50 to see them in an arena does hurt a bit. However just be happy you were able to see them play in such a small venue...so all those new "kids" can be jealous of you.

Yeah, that's my only concern about Wilco getting much bigger than they currently are. Stadium shows suck and are too expensive. I would hate it if Wilco became one of "those" bands who only do mega-tours.

(Luckily I don't think we really have to worry about that happening.)

Anodyne should get at least parenthetical reference as the current lineup has exactly as much in common with ST, BT, and AM as it does with the last UT lineup.

Thought that's what you meant.

Raise your hand if you're someone who trashed the last 42.8 minutes of Wilco's studio released music and is going ape shit over this 1:35 teaser....I'm keeping track.

This guy enjoyed the last 42.8 minutes and is very excited about what's next. The trailer doesn't ease my anticipation, it only magnifies it. But I'm also leery of judging things by their trailers.

it is interesting that in this thread the few people making these statements have few post counts which could be misconstrued into other generalizations (and has been on this board). {In fact, I only bring it up here to make my point.}

The point that I was trying to make was a lot of people tend to want "the doors shut" once they've gotten into the room, even if that room has been open for about 16 years and they got in after that.

My low post count could be construed as being a recent Wilco convert; in fact, I've only had Internet at home for a couple years but have been a fan for 12 years. I'm not interested in "closing doors" to new fans... I frequently try to make new Wilco fans of my friends and have had relatively bad luck. That whole thing about the masses vs. the few in the know is a bad generalization anyway. Indisputably, Wilco has enjoyed great success and is not at all obscure or under the radar. But the experience of being a member of a community of like-minded souls who all thrill to the sounds of this band... it's pretty cool. An explosion of popularity would certainly change that and make it feel less personal. For me, that's part of the draw, the intimacy of a show in an old theatre or under the stars at Mass MOCA. Yeah, I know, it's not about me, but I don't want any of that to change!

yep! most of Wilcos records have been mastered here. I live in Portland and walked all over the place looking for them. No luck.

But yeah Ludwig and the people at Gateway Mastering do really awesome work for local musicians and also big names.

I am from Maine as well and was walking around that day they tweeted being in Portland! No sightings though, I always keep an eye out on that place everyone gets their masters there. Even Jim James from MMJ talked about his love for Portland, mastering music and reviewing while on drives through the Maine landscape. Bob Ludwig is perhaps the most important person in the music industry, the only reason I say this is because of his clientel. He masters the best music.

If Wilco is gaining new fans either from the previous or upcoming album, I question the musical tastes of those people. I long ago stopped trying to convert people, and am getting to the point where I am embarrassed to be so affiliated with a band who peaked (in my humble opinion) in the early 2000's and have been on a steady downhill since the residency. I still love the band and would never bash them to a potential new fan. This teaser however does nothing to diminish the bad taste of "...the Album."

I listened to Wilco (TA) last weekend, and realized that I only really enjoy 2 or 3 tracks on the album, most of it is completely forgetable. Something I've never considered before. Compared to loving every song on their previous albums. I blame Feist.

I remain cautious to get too excited, but I think "I Might" left a positive outlook. The songs ive heard live sound good, and finally this little teaser has really changed my expectations. I also like that a deluxe edition with 17 tracks will be out Day 1.

1. "Wilco (The Song)" – 2:59
  2. "Deeper Down" (Tweedy, Sansone) – 2:59
  3. "One Wing" – 3:42
  4. "Bull Black Nova" – 5:39
  5. "You and I" – 3:26
  6. "You Never Know" – 4:21
  7. "Country Disappeared" – 4:02
  8. "Solitaire" – 3:04
  9. "I'll Fight" – 4:23
  10. "Sonny Feeling" – 4:13
  11. "Everlasting Everything" – 3:58

Thats funny?? I like all of those songs. Every one.

I like deeper down, one wing, and bull black nova (although I dont love it)

Dislike Wilco the song, you and I, you never know(probably my least favorite Wilco song, due to the arrogant lyrics)

The second half of the album is really forgettable to me. I enjoy Solitare a bit..but it feels watered down. I fight is just generic. Everlasting is alright, but probably my least favorite closing track on a Wilco album ever.

Must be the singer not the song

My main problem with Wilco (TA) Is that it's extremely passive and emotionless. Sky Blue Sky may have been slow, but it was very strong lyrically. Plus impossible Germany kills both One Wing and Bull Black.

Going back to my hatred for You Never Know...the chorus "I dont care anymore" is exactly the feeling I get from the album. The album seemed rushed (Jeff has even mentioned it was recorded quickly)..there doesn't seem to be much thought to any of the music.

The whole album is generic and a bit self-congratulatory.

And it seems obvious that Jeff realized this..based on the album title, opening track, and ridiculously lazy cover art. It's the definition of a "in progress" album. Nothing about it feels new, in fact most of the tracks seem like luke warm leftovers that Jeff found at the bottom of the tour bus.

God was that album a disappointment...

I never really got all the W(TA) hate. I really like at least half of the songs on it...which is more than I can say about most albums out there.

Wilco (The Song) - Fun and a really sweet sentiment to fans which I appreciate.

One Wing - has become one of my favorite Wilco songs and the most played song on my iPod.

Bull Black Nova - intense and gets me anxious every time I hear it. Any song that can place you (emotionally) in the story is pretty powerful if you ask me.

Country Disappeared - Love this song and the Take Away Show video of it too.

Solitaire - sweet, tender and beautiful song.

I'll Fight - an incredibly moving song to me.

Anyway. Totally excited for The Whole Love.

Is Wilco the song really a tribute to fans or a condescending look at who their fans our? The album assumes a parental role/influence of their followers. It's totally big headed....

Follow that with "you never know" which literally calls their audience "children" and basically says..oh don't worry, every generation thinks its the end of the world. everything is just fine..maybe for Wilco or Jeff, but 2008/2009 was a really difficult time for a lot of people due to the start of the ongoing recession, record unemployment, etc.

The album just rubbed me the wrong way. I prefer to forget it.

Sorry for the rant.