Summer always races past like the roadrunner, so I thought I'd pause a moment to consider how it's been going. So far this summer I've taken a wild and exhilarating cross-country trip from California to Massachusetts (and Solid Sound!) and then back again, all without major disaster or serious injury. I didn't fall off the edge of the Grand Canyon or get too damned lost anywhere except maybe Kansas City at 3 a.m. (Nice police station they have right in downtown!) (No, we only admired it from the street) and we didn't meet any bears in any National Parks, although a ranger shot a tranquilizer dart at one in Sequoia, but missed. Our car troubles were minimal, we saw buffalo the city (I think...some of the trip is a blur) and the animal, which is as majestic as you'd hope. We saw so much, I'm still processing it all. Good lord did I take too many pictures!

Besides our big trip? Here it gets boring, feel free to skip the part about forcing my 15-yr-old daughter to clear out all her drawers and her closet and thin out the old school paperwork to a reasonable stack of "mementos". See? Boring. But it felt good to get done! Lots more space.

Beyond that, I have a garden raging with more squash and tomatoes and basil & such than we can use. But that's what dehydrators are for. I've got lots of dried tomato slices to use all winter. As for the squash, if a club sized one should show up in your mail, I know nothing about it, honest.

Oh and I got some trees planted and some lawn reseeded and some painting done.

I'm tired! :stunned

How about you? What's shaking in your summers? :brow Any big end-of-summer plans or ambitions?

Accomplishments: New job.

Big End-of-Summer Plans: Keep new job.

Actually, I am looking forward to Labor Day weekend which I consider the start of Fall. College football season kicks off that weekend with Michigan hosting WMU as a prelude to the very first night game at Michigan Stadium against ND the following week. And the season concludes in November with Nebraska and tOSU at Michigan Stadium and the inaugural B1G Championship Game in Indy (come on, it's okay to have delusions of grandeur, we are The Champions of the West). And let's not forget a certain record that is coming out in September as well.

Being an at-home mom all summer to a 4- and 5-year old means that "accomplishment" isn't a word in my vocabulary! We are all ready to go back to school and work.

Our "big" vacation was to Minneapolis--the Nickelodeon amusement park was a huge hit.

Personal accomplishment: I'm not running so late for things anymore. It was one of my summer goals, because I'm tired of scrambling and being late and that anxiety that comes with it. For years I've been running a bit late to practically everything. Yesterday I got the kids to swim lessons right on time and wouldn't you know it, the lesson before theirs was running late, so theirs started 5 minutes late. I also had a workshop to attend the other day, and I was early--the second one there--and half the attendees came in late. I am so out of tune! :lol

Some summer I do want to make it to Solid Sound, but it will probably be awhile.

Jumped out of an airplane.

Turned a dirt hill into a mulched path with various plants on either side.

Watched True Blood season three and a couple seasons of Dexter.

It's been way too hot to do anything else.

Since I switched jobs within the same company I have not had time to do much. Or should I say I have not taken the time to do much. I actually have 270 hours of vacation time built up which I'm not at all proud of. So much for work life balance.

But I did get to 620 points on Turntable.fm this summer so all was not lost. And eked out 3 gigs with the band.

But I really need to go somewhere and do something.

I had the goal to go to the beach at least once a week this summer. Last year, I felt I did not take sufficient advantage of my proximity to the beautiful Pacific Ocean. So far, so good. Went twice this last week.

As for a highlight (so far), I had a whirlwind weekend late July: Comic-Con on Thursday, Comic-Con on Friday and Avett Brothers show on Saturday.

Other than that, happy to still be employed (albeit under-employed).

Uncool: :lol

I had the goal to go to the beach at least once a week this summer. Last year, I felt I did not take sufficient advantage of my proximity to the beautiful Pacific Ocean. So far, so good. Went twice this last week.

As for a highlight (so far), I had a whirlwind weekend late July: Comic-Con on Thursday, Comic-Con on Friday and Avett Brothers show on Saturday.

Other than that, happy to still be employed (albeit under-employed).

Have you ever been to South Carlsbad beach? We like that one. Come to think of it, we need a beach outing ourselves. It's been awhile!

Have you ever been to South Carlsbad beach? We like that one. Come to think of it, we need a beach outing ourselves. It's been awhile!

It has been years (decades? - man, I am getting old!) since I went to Carlsbad. I usually go to T-Street in San Clemente. This is the town I grew up in and so I have become accustomed to this particular stretch of sand and surf. I highly recommend going. It is such a zen experience. a few hours hearing the waves and feeling the cool breeze will sustain a soul for many weeks. Here is a photo of my favorite beach I took a week or two ago.

Great thread - makes me think how much I have enjoyed this summer.

Went to Solid Sound with 3 pre-teens and an old friend. Celebrated 15 years of marriage. Took my 4 kids and a neighbor to their first game at Fenway. And all 4 kids loved it - right to the end of the four-hour game. Swam often in Pleasant Lake in Casco, Maine. Saw King Lear performed onstage. Started coaching my fourth season of high school golf yesterday.

A summer rather short on accomplishments and long on fun.

(Which summer are you talking about btw? Oh ..... the one that happened on August 1st this year in Germany, right. :thumbdown )

Apart from trying to stay as dry as possible when running to the car, and not get blown away by the daily rainstorms, we haven't really done much at home here. Our trip to Egypt in June was the only summer we had, with 50 degrees Celsius already at 10 am, and some mind-blowing experiences re: sightseeing.

Other than that, Tara graduated and got engaged in July, so I guess you can call July "exciting"!

I was also told (by our highest sales boss who came all the way down to Bavaria to tell me) that I will most likely be offered a huge promotion at work in the not too far future which might involve company car, significant pay rise, responsibility for about 80 - 100 people, and us deciding to stay in Germany for the time being instead of emigrating to NZ in 2013 .... I am not sure if this is the decision my heart would make, though :unsure

Summer also always means my work time takes a 180 degree turn from afternoons to mornings, but the good thing is nobody expects me to go in every day, so it also means a bit of "getting rid of ridiculous amounts of overtime".

Most of the rainy summer days were spent by planning short trips though! :w00t The 2nd week in September will be my birthday as well as our wedding anniversary week, so we are doing a little road trip (nothing compared to your's Donna! :lol) through the far North-East of Germany and back, which will include 2 days in Berlin and 2 days in Dresden, and some sightseeing. In December we'll head over to the UK to spend 4 days there shopping, eating and drinking :innocent

Oh yeah, and of course I've been cooking. A lot. Nothing new on that front then :P

It has been years (decades? - man, I am getting old!) since I went to Carlsbad. I usually go to T-Street in San Clemente. This is the town I grew up in and so I have become accustomed to this particular stretch of sand and surf. I highly recommend going. It is such a zen experience. a few hours hearing the waves and feeling the cool breeze will sustain a soul for many weeks. Here is a photo of my favorite beach I took a week or two ago.

Anthony, I love that pier at San Clemente...it's a bit of a drive from Riverside, but worth it! I don't recognize the beach in your photo, is that in San Clemente too?

I was also told (by our highest sales boss who came all the way down to Bavaria to tell me) that I will most likely be offered a huge promotion at work in the not too far future which might involve company car, significant pay rise, responsibility for about 80 - 100 people, and us deciding to stay in Germany for the time being instead of emigrating to NZ in 2013 .... I am not sure if this is the decision my heart would make, though :unsure

Fantastic news, Dunja, and I'm sure it's much deserved! A big pay raise means more travel money! :thumbup Yay for you!

I had the goal to go to the beach at least once a week this summer. Last year, I felt I did not take sufficient advantage of my proximity to the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

Man, I need to make a goal like this. I can relate -- we live about 10 mins from the beach here in OC and we rarely go. Just too busy with work during the week & we're usually busy with other crap on the weekends -- or if we're free, chances are the weather is too nice and we don't want to deal with crowds at the beach.

In fact, my kids are in a surf camp this week and that's accounted for 100% of the time we've been to the beach all summer. Just ain't right. :(

Anthony, I love that pier at San Clemente...it's a bit of a drive from Riverside, but worth it! I don't recognize the beach in your photo, is that in San Clemente too?

That is the pedestrian crossing over the train tracks at a beach called "T-Street" which is about a 1/4 mile +/- south of the pier in San Clemente. One of the best (of not The Best) beaches in Southern California. Good sand, good waves, good parking, not touristy, snack shack, bathrooms, ... everything is just right.

That sounds like heaven! We (my son Brennan & I) made it to one beach on our cross-country jaunt...Jenner, in Northern CA, where the Russian River meets the sea...a really gorgeous spot and it was a perfect day, with whales in view and sea lions lolling around at the mouth of the river. But other than that, it's been a beachless summer, which as you know is practically illegal in Southern CA! :lol

I'm noting your directions. We should have beautiful weather for the rest of August and probably most of September as well, so I think we can still fit in a beach day. Thanks for the tip! It sounds ideal.

Any shells or cool rocks or driftwood there? I love to beachcomb.

Gotten about halfway through the creation of my first solo album. Just mixing to go.

Managed not to get heat stroke.

Got a bunch of new artwork done.

Made a batch of Thai pepper hot sauce and two jars of pickled limes that have been sitting in the sun long enough this summer that they're ready to eat.

Any chance you'd share that recipe with someone who loves both pickles and limes, hmm? (That would be me.) Sounds fabulous! Do you eat them as pickles or as a condiment? I'll bet those would be wonderful alongside grilled chicken.

Gotten about halfway through the creation of my first solo album. Just mixing to go.

Congratulations! Let us know when it's finished. :thumbup

Any chance you'd share that recipe with someone who loves both pickles and limes, hmm? (That would be me.) Sounds fabulous! Do you eat them as pickles or as a condiment? I'll bet those would be wonderful alongside grilled chicken.

An Indian co-worker turned me on to pickled limes a few years ago - they're intensely salty/limey with a bit of heat and are usually served as a condiment for Indian dishes (I think they'd go great with grilled chicken, too). I basically followed this recipe although you can tweak/substitute ingredients (be sure to include the fried mustard & asafoetida, tho). I usually mix up a batch & then put it out in direct sunlight for a couple of weeks until the rinds soften and everything get gooey - there's more than enough salt and acid in it that you don't have to worry about spoilage.

My big accomplishment this summer has been getting back to running, after a long layoff last fall and winter. Last night I did 2.85 miles in 26:56. Still slower than I'd like, but at my age, that speed feels fast, as in, I'm huffing and puffing to maintain it! Hope to run a 5K before the summer is over, which would be my first in several years.

An Indian co-worker turned me on to pickled limes a few years ago - they're intensely salty/limey with a bit of heat and are usually served as a condiment for Indian dishes (I think they'd go great with grilled chicken, too). I basically followed this recipe although you can tweak/substitute ingredients (be sure to include the fried mustard & asafoetida, tho). I usually mix up a batch & then put it out in direct sunlight for a couple of weeks until the rinds soften and everything get gooey - there's more than enough salt and acid in it that you don't have to worry about spoilage.

Ok, I should've figured that this was Indian. I knew I'd heard of it before. It sounds really, really good. I wonder if I'll have to get the asafoetida and maybe the fenugreek from an online source? But if I search a bit I should be able to find it locally I think. How long do you fry the mustard? Just until aromatic? Oh, and the dried red chilis...is there a specific variety?

See why they call me The Question Authority?

(Actually nobody does that) :flirt

My big accomplishment this summer has been getting back to running, after a long layoff last fall and winter. Last night I did 2.85 miles in 26:56. Still slower than I'd like, but at my age, that speed feels fast, as in, I'm huffing and puffing to maintain it! Hope to run a 5K before the summer is over, which would be my first in several years.

Cue the Rocky theme! I'm impressed and I don't even know your age. I really admire the dedication and focus & self-discipline that goes into pushing oneself to improve athletically. It takes such determination to stick with it. Good luck and let us know when you've run that 5K. There's a live Wilco or JT show of your choice (from my collection) for you if you can prove you did it. Now go practice! :thumbup

Cue the Rocky theme! I'm impressed and I don't even know your age. I really admire the dedication and focus & self-discipline that goes into pushing oneself to improve athletically. It takes such determination to stick with it. Good luck and let us know when you've run that 5K. There's a live Wilco or JT show of your choice (from my collection) for you if you can prove you did it. Now go practice! :thumbup

:lol Thanks, kidsmoke. I'm 46, but after that run I instantly felt 47. Heh. Thanks for the live show offer, that definitely gives me some extra incentive to finish a 5K! You know I will take you up on that.