Jeff Tweedy - Dawned on Me

It's a St. Louis mag, and STL's ownership of the band is through Uncle Tupelo--I'm sure all the UT questions are the local interest peg. Even though there were a lot of questions about the early days, Jeff's answers extended beyond a simple point in time. My favorite part was his response to the question about growing up with his uncles and cousins singing a particular song and whether or not that had an influence on him: "I think that anything you’re exposed to as a kid that looks like something that is normal to do creates a culture of belief." A culture of belief: what a perfect way to describe what happens, in families, classrooms, relationships, etc.

Have you seen the magazine cover? They made him look like he should be selling Dos Equis beer..

Something like.."I don't play big acoustic guitars often, but when I do, I play Bob.."

I actually thought it was a good interview. Many times around the release of a new album the pieces focus solely on the same repeated info trying to push the release. Taken in the context that its a St. Louis publication, and Uncle Tupelo started in St. Louis, I thought it covered some interesting topics from the early days, rather than focusing solely on The Whole Love. Good song too, going to be interesting to see how different it is with the whole band. Great find, xTonyWonder.

I really enjoyed the interview and the video clip. Jeff's "voice" just comes across so distinctly in interviews that I almost feel I would recognize it even if he weren't talking about Wilco-related topics. There's kind of a wry diffidence, but with a sincerity and real desire to connect, that just comes through in every interview I've read or heard. Sometimes he's more playful and relaxed, other times more edgy and argumentative, but he always seems very real to me in interviews.

Then seeing him play--in the video clip--with the camera following him around or shoved right in his face--and I'm amazed anew by what a damned professional he is.

Thanks for posting!

I thought this was pretty interesting:

You’ve said, “I always find that the songs that end up meaning the most to me are the ones I’m most embarrassed about initially.” Do you purposely try to step out on a limb while writing?

Not always. You kind of vacillate between executing things that you’re good at and feel confident about, and sometimes you’re lucky enough to feel confident and comfortable enough to allow yourself to be uncomfortable. That’s when you break ground for yourself. For an analogy, you have a fork in the road—you have a chance to create a little bit different path. I think it’s good to do both. I don’t really think that if you were consciously trying to do that all the time it would be very successful. I think you’ve got to establish a vocabulary to say something, and then at some point those words stop being expressive. Then you’ve got to make up new words or a new syntax.

I thought this was pretty interesting:

I almost cut and pasted that same bit. Very insightful, and very true. It's part of what makes me so excited to see what they come up with next. I know it's going to be something familiar enough that it'll be in my wheelhouse, but fresh enough to keep it interesting. And sometimes, it'll be great!

I thought the song was really good. As with the song he did on the Stombo show (Open Mind), I am interested/excited to hear what the full band does with it. This quote from the article excited me the most:

"Now, I don’t remember ever feeling as good about the process as I did on this most recent record. It seems like everyone really got their licks in, and everyone on almost every song had an opportunity to kind of have free reign and take it wherever they wanted to go without a whole a lot of inhibition."

Been thinking about how to solve this(and you can see clips full screen)

Download "Clip Finder" from Ashampoo's website(16 MB and it's free)

Install and type Jeff Tweedy on the Vimeo portal,save 19MB to your HD and play it with your favourit media playe.I'm Using VCL and this workes great.

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0155/Multimedia_Software/Ashampoo-ClipFinder-HD

Good luck