• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about those of us who liked Radio Cure instantly?

Showoff

You Are My Face

Not For The Season

Kamera

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

I Must Be High

Theologians

One Sunday Morning (For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

Jesus, etc.

Outta Mind (Outta Sight)

California Stars

I am definitely on board with California Stars, but I was really torn because of the nature of the song. If we are expanding it a bit to include Wilco songs as performance pieces, then I would also like to add their Cover of Big Star's 13

Showoff

I am definitely on board with California Stars, but I was really torn because of the nature of the song. If we are expanding it a bit to include Wilco songs as performance pieces, then I would also like to add their Cover of Big Star's 13

Ha, I actually thought of Thirteen when I chose California Stars, debating whether CS counts.

I'm not even going to attempt something so ridiculous and impossible as narrowing it down to ten. However, the talk here about Radio cure has been interesting. Personally, my first copy of YHF was one a friend burned for me (can i say that here?). There was no tracklisting. For a long time, I had a hard time differentiating one song from another. That's not exactly true, as I made no attempt whatsoever to differentiate between the songs. I would just put in the disc and immerse myself completely in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot reality which was quite different than reality reality. It was only a couple of years later that I got a proper copy and sort out song from song. I tell this anecdote to illustrate how well the record holds together as a unified work.

If a list of top ten wilco songs could include, based on this story, YHF as a single entity, I MIGHT try to do it. But it would still be hard.

I can't even take a stab at top 10 songs right now, but I wanted to chime in on Radio Cure. It's probably been mentioned on here before (maybe even by me) but during this year's Solid Sound they sang it on the first night, when the rain was really coming down. The PA cut out right before "distance has no way of making love understandable" toward the end of the song, and the crowd picked up the verse without missing a beat for a couple of lines. Then the PA came back on and they finished up with everyone singing along (which we'd been doing all night anyway, but more exuberantly when the sound cut out). The band seemed to love it. It was just a beautiful moment, and such a perfect song to have that happen on!

• 7 months later...

1. She's a jar

2. At least thats what you said

3. Pieholden suite

4. Handshake drugs

5. You are my face

6. Kamera

7. Via Chicago

8. War on war

9. Red eyed blue/ I got you

10. The late greats

Ten just is not enough. There is probably 30-35 songs that could make the list

I'm not really seeing the PopMatters list, but attempting to create a momentary personal top 10 is intriguing... in a troubling sort of way.

It's like being on an imperiled ship with dozens of people you care about trying to decide who gets in the lifeboat.

Numbering these songs is even more difficult... so no particular order here.

Muzzle of Bees

Hummingbird

Ashes of American Flags

Far Far Away

Summer Teeth

One Sunday Morning

Passenger Side

Red Eyed and Blue - I Got You

Blue Eyed Soul

Via Chicago

The Late Greats

One Wing

There, thats twelve (I know, 13, but I can't separate conjoined twins).

This is even harder than the debate I had yesterday with my 7-year old daughter about which is better: Doritos or Pringles? (Her vote, Doritos. Mine, Pringles.)

In no particular order:

Monday

Muzzle of Bees

Black Moon

Sunken Treasure

I'm Always in Love

Via Chicago

Hell is Chrome

Ashes

Pot Kettle Black

One Sunday Morning

Taking a new view on this with an inclusion of The Whole Love and a couple more months of living

Dash 7

Sunken Treasure

California Stars

nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again)

Jesus, etc.

Side with Seeds

Muzzle of Bees

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

One Sunday Morning

Not very easy...The Whole Love is chock full of killer songs. But, after all is said and done, I find myself continually drawn to A Ghost is Born.

. But, after all is said and done, I find myself continually drawn to A Ghost is Born.

Agree. The songs seem to reveal something fresh at every listen.

I was listening to AGIB at top volume the other morning on an early drive to Orlando (couple hours from home). I had this very cool experience: I was driving past a few miles of landscape that had burned a few years back. There was a ground layer of scrubby palmettos and the occasional silhouetted charred tree trunk sticking out. Hovering over this barren landscape was a layer of mist that dissipated 5-6 feet above the ground. Spiders was playing, the crunchy dissonant solo that starts around 5:00. The way the song sounded and the way the landscape looked were in perfect sync. Yet another amazing experience, brought to me by Wilco!

Agree. The songs seem to reveal something fresh at every listen.

I was listening to AGIB at top volume the other morning on an early drive to Orlando (couple hours from home). I had this very cool experience: I was driving past a few miles of landscape that had burned a few years back. There was a ground layer of scrubby palmettos and the occasional silhouetted charred tree trunk sticking out. Hovering over this barren landscape was a layer of mist that dissipated 5-6 feet above the ground. Spiders was playing, the crunchy dissonant solo that starts around 5:00. The way the song sounded and the way the landscape looked were in perfect sync. Yet another amazing experience, brought to me by Wilco!

Ahh, I LIVE for those moments. I was just messing around at home over the weekend, trying to do some cleaning, and I played the recent Austin City Limits that I had DVR'd. I was just thinking it would be background music, but damned if I didn't sit down in the middle of Art of Almost (the first song, of course) and found myself absolutely entranced. When they kicked it into high gear I literally was bouncing up and down on the sofa, air drumming along with Glenn. That song just gets me going every time! So much for cleaning.

Currently, in a few hours it'll be absolutely different:

Far, Far Away

Hotel Arizona

Sunken Treasure

I'm Always in Love

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

Ashes of American Flags

In a Future Age

Company in my Back

Dawned on Me

Whole Love

Jesus, Etc.

Handshake Drugs

Far, Far Away

In A Future Age

Muzzle Of Bees

Poor Places

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Pot Kettle Black

Cars Can't Escape

Via Chicago

New week...time for a new take on a Wilco top ten list

Dash 7

Sunken Treasure

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (again)

War on War

Jesus Etc.

Hummingbird

Muzzle of Bees

Side with Seeds

One Sunday Morning

Dawned on Me

my top ten rarities for today

- Why Would You Wanna Live

- At My Window Sad and Lonely

- Pieholden Suite

- Remember the Mountain Bed

- Poor Places

- Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

- Panthers

- Either Way

- Deeper Down

- Kicking Television

Taking a new view on this with an inclusion of The Whole Love and a couple more months of living

Dash 7

Sunken Treasure

California Stars

nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again)

Jesus, etc.

Side with Seeds

Muzzle of Bees

Hummingbird

Handshake Drugs

One Sunday Morning

Not very easy...The Whole Love is chock full of killer songs. But, after all is said and done, I find myself continually drawn to A Ghost is Born.

Ghost is Born is my favorite Wilco album and probably one of my top 10/20 albums of all time. I never tire of it and will never forget listening to At Least That's What You said on wilcoworld before the album came out. Transcendent. Tweedy in all his glory with John and Glenn. Perfect. add in O'rourke's production and Leroy's magical touch...so great!

This is impossible but here goes. I think since I haven't overplayed the newer ones yet, they may be higher on my list.

10-One Wing

9-Bull Black Nova

8-War on War

7-You are my Face

6-Art of Almost

5-Handshake Drugs

4-One Sunday Morning

3-Impossible Germany

2-Via Chicago

1-Spiders