D-man wonders why you guys don't like the Whole Love?

Just be glad magic-whatshername didn’t call out the board for not showing the proper reverence for the last two albums.

LOL...now she's the one who would be commenting on Ke$ha.

Nice to see you pay attention to my progeny. Should I call the cyberstalker police?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I've been around here for years. You should be flattered I have a memory that absorbs & retains useless information.

Other than your nicknames for you kids and your propensity for slightly neurotic postings I'm only vaguely aware of who you are.

Dude, I've been around here for years. You should be flattered I have a memory that absorbs & retains useless information.

Other than your nicknames for you kids and your propensity for slightly neurotic postings I'm only vaguely aware of who you are.

Let's see...I'm supposed to be 'flattered' that the mighty Jude remembered something about me? Really?

Now I'm waiting on another pm from a moderator telling me not to be baited...sheesh.

The "Mighty Jude" does have a nice ring to it doesn't it.

Really dude, you need to calm down a bit. Seriously, it can't be healthy to get worked up over this stuff.

I picked up the deluxe package in Germany last week. My early impressions are good, but not overwhelmingly positive. I haven't been following the board much, but I agree that John's bass work is sounding terrific. There are more Beatlesque tracks than I expected, two or three at least. The recording quality is quite good. Open Mind is easily the most frustrating song in years- wonderful melody, banal lyrics. But that's just me.

The thing with music critique is that it's completely useless unless there's a context, i.e. it's the word of someone close to you who happens to share your taste. And even then it's often a huge mistake to discount something because of a negative or lukewarm 'review'. SBS will always be the second "best" Wilco album for me, because of what it did for me at the time when it came out. Is it really Wilco's 2nd best album? No, but who cares.

So as for whether TWL is a "masterpiece", it is if it is for you! For me, it at least ends with a masterpiece (OSM), just like a lot of Wilco albums. This album could be a grower, too. And I'm a little distracted by the new Feist and Ryan Adams releases at the moment.

The "Mighty Jude" does have a nice ring to it doesn't it.

Really dude, you need to calm down a bit. Seriously, it can't be healthy to get worked up over this stuff.

i have no idea who you are, but .....Really? Are you like seven. Grow up. I wouldn't be proud of a reputation of irritating people. Sorry everyone else, I don't care for bullies.

Re: being 17.

As others have noted, some of us were "obsessed" with various bands, albums, songs, etc... when we were younger. For me it was Neil Young and the Rolling Stones. There was no way I would fail to take umbrage if someone knocked Mick Jagger, or said that Neil had a funny voice. It was like someone had just kicked my dog. And while that sounds ridiculous now, at least to anyone who didn't experience devotional fandom, I can also attest that it was pretty amazing, too, to be able to be blown away so much by a song that I'd heard a thousand times already (often literally).

But, that's just the way things are when you are 17: life is full of incredible ups and downs. It's dizzying. And when you like something, you REALLY FUCKING LIKE it. And things that are beautiful are moreso, and things that are ugly are even worse. I'm sure we can all remember how nuts we all went over some girl/guy that we barely even talked to.

Well, now consider how your 17 year old feels about who is, I gather, one of his favorite bands. Even an album that may not be so great (not saying SBS isn't) is the soundtrack to the most topsy/turvy, love/hate, black/white period of his life. It falls in the "Good" zone, which means it's not just good: it's IMPORTANT.

I recall having similar feelings about "Voodoo Lounge" and "Broken Arrow". I listened to those albums to death, because they came out during my time. I "understood" them better than most people. They were mine. Hence: they were fucking incredible.

16 years later, I can look back and realize that, while those albums will in some sense have a special place in my heart, they are objectively mediocre (at best).

My guess is, in 16 years, your son will look back and feel similarly about "Wilco (The Album)." He'll probably feel a little silly and embarrassed for being so passionate about a decent, not great, album. He shouldn't. I'd give almost anything to be able to feel that passionately about music, or almost anything really, again.

Tell him to remember how it feels to truly adore something; as you get older, it gets harder and harder to remember.

Open Mind is easily the most frustrating song in years- wonderful melody, banal lyrics. But that's just me.

I think I feel the same way about this track actually. I love the melody but neither the subject or the object of this song has enough detail to be interesting.

I picked up the deluxe package in Germany last week. My early impressions are good, but not overwhelmingly positive. I haven't been following the board much, but I agree that John's bass work is sounding terrific. There are more Beatlesque tracks than I expected, two or three at least. The recording quality is quite good. Open Mind is easily the most frustrating song in years- wonderful melody, banal lyrics. But that's just me.

The thing with music critique is that it's completely useless unless there's a context, i.e. it's the word of someone close to you who happens to share your taste. And even then it's often a huge mistake to discount something because of a negative or lukewarm 'review'. SBS will always be the second "best" Wilco album for me, because of what it did for me at the time when it came out. Is it really Wilco's 2nd best album? No, but who cares.

So as for whether TWL is a "masterpiece", it is if it is for you! For me, it at least ends with a masterpiece (OSM), just like a lot of Wilco albums. This album could be a grower, too. And I'm a little distracted by the new Feist and Ryan Adams releases at the moment.

Shit, when people start talking sense like this around here, it's scary. Let's all take a deep breath and get back to the usual inane blather these times so desperately need.

i've been listening to the whole love--nonstop--since receiving it on sept 23. think one sunday morning will end up to be one of my favorites of all time. think the album is phenomenal.

Even after hearing it 20 times the bones in a shrine verse sends chills up my spine.

I got a really heart belly laugh last night.

D-MAN took extreme umbrage at the posts criticizing the use of his nick name. I believe he used the phrase 'rampant douchebaggery'.

"Now you know why I don't post on Via Chicago. The rampant douchbaggery there drives me crazy. Why the f (and he did say 'f') do they even have an OPINION on you're using a nickname for me?"

LOL. I told him it "Forget it D-man. It's Viachicago" (Using the opportunity to paraphrase a quote from my favorite movie 'Chinatown')

I'll leave this open for a few more days.

I've been listening to it continuously and it amazes me as I hear it over and over. Every song is pleasant to my ears. YHF is still their masterpiece, IMO, but this album is closely behind. Not one song I feel the need to skip over. Bob

Now you tell that D-man, that one of the best

D-MAN took extreme umbrage at the posts criticizing the use of his nick name. I believe he used the phrase 'rampant douchebaggery'.

Well that's a bit condescending but I'll let it slide this time. Though you'd better tell that D-man to quit getting all steamed up over nothing and count his lucky stars because not every one gets a fantastic thread like this one in their name without even posting!!! Not naming any names but certain people who have been on here for far longer have their threads stuck all the way back in the um... forum, and this young rapscallion gets one right up front in Just A Fan? Jeez kids these days don't know how good they got it :nono

"Now you know why I don't post on Via Chicago. The rampant douchbaggery there drives me crazy. Why the f (and he did say 'f') do they even have an OPINION on you're using a nickname for me?"

Did he spell it this way too?

The world is a place of rampant douchebaggery. The internet is the distillery. Plenty of Doucher's Mark, neat, at VC.