Hmmmm. Interesting. He was on my list of possibilities.

Do you know this for sure, or just your feeling?

How do you say I miss you to

An answering machine?

How do you say good night to

An answering machine?

How do you say I'm lonely to

An answering machine?

The message is very plain

Oh, I hate your answering machine.- Paul Westerburg "Answering Machine" by the Replacements

When the critics pan I write in your defense.

I understand I'm just a fan, I'm just a fan.

When I get home I turn off the alarm.

I've checked the phone, no messages on.

I play the ones from yesterday.

I play your song just to hear you say that....

You, you're the lonely one. - Wilco "The Lonely One

I can't remember where I read the connection...maybe the Greg Kot book "Learning How to Die"....maybe intuition. Feel free anyone to jump in here...but read both sets of lyrics and tell me what you think. I could be wrong. However, they seem connected in my opinion. I know that doesn't say a whole lot.....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you say I miss you to

An answering machine?

How do you say good night to

An answering machine?

How do you say I'm lonely to

An answering machine?

The message is very plain

Oh, I hate your answering machine.- Paul Westerburg "Answering Machine" by the Replacements

When the critics pan I write in your defense.

I understand I'm just a fan, I'm just a fan.

When I get home I turn off the alarm.

I've checked the phone, no messages on.

I play the ones from yesterday.

I play your song just to hear you say that....

You, you're the lonely one. - Wilco "The Lonely One

I can't remember where I read the connection...maybe the Greg Kot book "Learning How to Die"....maybe intuition. Feel free anyone to jump in here...but read both sets of lyrics and tell me what you think. I could be wrong. However, they seem connected in my opinion. I know that doesn't say a whole lot.....

I never put those two songs together. I just did a little search and this was on Song Meanings. Kinda makes sense to me because I always got hung up on the gold lame' part for Westerberg.

rrstrick

09-17-2011

I always thought this was about Neil Young. The instrumental phrase that leads in at the beginning and reoccurs throughout is from a Neil Young song. When Neil Young does live shows he steps out into a spotlight with his band behind him. He also has a gold lame guitar strap. Plus he went through a mid-career slump when critics didn't like him anymore (but has since made a comeback).

To be fair a person could probably get away with never listening to a complete Beatles album and still know most of their singles by heart. They're played everywhere all the time. They're such a huge part of pop culture in general that you can't really get away with never hearing them.

By that logic, I just need to only buy greatest hits and Singles collections by every band and skip the other 80 percent of any artist's catalogs and I can claim to be an expert on every band. To be fair, that doesn't make me qualified to critique a band's work.

I never put those two songs together. I just did a little search and this was on Song Meanings. Kinda makes sense to me because I always got hung up on the gold lame' part for Westerberg.

rrstrick

09-17-2011

I always thought this was about Neil Young. The instrumental phrase that leads in at the beginning and reoccurs throughout is from a Neil Young song. When Neil Young does live shows he steps out into a spotlight with his band behind him. He also has a gold lame guitar strap. Plus he went through a mid-career slump when critics didn't like him anymore (but has since made a comeback).

Could be.

By that logic, I just need to only by greatest hits and Singles collections by every band and skip the other 80 percent of any artist's catalogs and I can claim to be an expert on every band. To be fair, that doesn't make me qualified to critique a band's work.

It could quite possibly qualify you to form an opinion on whether you like a bands sound or not. I believe that's all he was trying to say. Just saying.

It could quite possibly qualify you to form an opinion on whether you like a bands sound or not. I believe that's all he was trying to say. Just saying.

That's cool. Drivel is a strong word though for someone who hasn't actively listened to a band and their work. "You can't hear it on the radio".

That's cool. Drivel is a strong word though for someone who hasn't actively listened to a band and their work. "You can't hear it on the radio".

True. Guess I just feel a little responsible for bringing up the White Album in the first place. But hey, how bout that Being There album? Great stuff.

Oddly enough, one of the things I remember about the press on Being There from the day concerned the departure of Max Johnson and Mike Heindorn joing Jay Farrar in Son Volt.

fixed it for you. I personally love both of those songs. Does anyone know who "The Lonely 1" was written about?

edit to add: thanks for bringing it back on topic.

I was always under the impression it was just a song about being on the road, and could apply to any touring musician

Inspired by Paul Westerburg of The Replacements.....if not about him in an indirect manner. The Replacements had a tune called "Answering Machine". .

Makes perfect sense, especially in light of the lyrics, but I had kind of ruled out Westerberg because I heard/read that "We've been had" was about Tweedy's disillusionment with Westerberg upon meeting him the first time.

Makes perfect sense, especially in light of the lyrics, but I had kind of ruled out Westerberg because I heard/read that "We've been had" was about Tweedy's disillusionment with Westerberg upon meeting him the first time.

I hadn't heard that about "We've been Had", but I have heard that Westerberg can be difficult to work with. I seem to remember a recording of Wilco covering "Color Me Impressed, and Tweedy states to the crowd, "Everything we do is based on The Replacements." He was being sarcastic possibly. In interviews, Jeff has stated that it is more about the relationship between the artist and the audience. In one interview while talking about this song, and who it was about, JT drops Ian Hunters name randomly.....so who knows.

is Westerberg known for being lonely?

One of their earliest b-sides was "If Only You Were Lonely."

Well, I walked out of work

And I was tired as hell

Another day's come and gone and oh well

Somewhere there's a drink with my name on it

Well, I ordered a Scotch as I bust through them doors

Spilled half on my jeans

The other half on the floor

When I saw you standing by that video game

Well, I ain't very good

But I get practice by myself

Forgot my one line

So I just said what I felt

If only you were lonely,

If only you was lonely too,

If only you was lonely

I'd go home with you

Twenty push-ups this morning, that was half my goal

Tonight I'll be doin' pull-ups

On the toliet bowl

And somewhere somebody's throwin up

Well, I broke the seal on my door

And I poured myself to bed

The whirlpool spinning around in my head

Around in my head

There was liquor on my breath

And you were on my mind

And I'll be dreamin of that smile

Without a care in the world

If only you were lonely,

If only you was lonely too,

If only you was lonely

I walked out of the kitchen

I was tired as hell

Another day's here and oh well

Somewhere there's a smile with my name on it.

Not sure why, but I always thought it might have been about Roy Orbison (probably because of Orbison's "Only The Lonely" and I believe he had a song with "Lonely One" in the title.) Westerberg makes more sense perhaps. But what about the gold lame? That might hint more towards Neil Young. An interesting thought is if it's about Jay Farrar. The line about hoping to hear an old voice on the machine hints that it's about someone he once had a relationship with. Jeff supposedly idolized Jay at one time.

I personally think it's just a brilliant song about the sometimes shared lonliness of a fan and artist alike. Really beautiful song.

Being There is a great, great record. I probably only have one minor complaint. Kingpin is a bit too wanky for me, but it sounds like it was so fun for Bennett and the band to play, that I feel bad for even thinking that. And I've just gotta say that Hotel Arizona is maybe the coolest-sounding song in the Wilco catalogue. I NEVER tire of hearing the jam-out after the last vocal...amazing.

In regards to The Lonely 1, at this years JT solo show @ the Vic I requested this song. As Jeff was getting ready to play it he said "this song was requested by Matt, he must be very strong in his sexuality" this makes me think it's about he and a female.

Not sure why, but I always thought it might have been about Roy Orbison (probably because of Orbison's "Only The Lonely" and I believe he had a song with "Lonely One" in the title.) Westerberg makes more sense perhaps. But what about the gold lame? That might hint more towards Neil Young. An interesting thought is if it's about Jay Farrar. The line about hoping to hear an old voice on the machine hints that it's about someone he once had a relationship with. Jeff supposedly idolized Jay at one time.

I personally think it's just a brilliant song about the sometimes shared loneliness of a fan and artist alike. Really beautiful song.

Being There is a great, great record. I probably only have one minor complaint. Kingpin is a bit too wanky for me, but it sounds like it was so fun for Bennett and the band to play, that I feel bad for even thinking that. And I've just gotta say that Hotel Arizona is maybe the coolest-sounding song in the Wilco catalog. I NEVER tire of hearing the jam-out after the last vocal...amazing.

As to Neil Young I agree. I know that "Tonight's the Night/ On the Beach" was a influential period for both UT, Jay Farrar, JT, and Jay Bennett. The critics loved one of those records, but fans at the shows did not. Many reviews of the performances circa 1972'-73' with The Stray Gators cite fans walking out of the shows despite the quality of songwriting and playing. Neil was a mess at that time. Unfortunately, "The Lonely One" references the critics disapproval and not the fans. As mentioned in earlier posts, this could refer to Neil's Geffen years, but I think even Young himself would not look fondly back on "Trans". I certainly don't get that record, and I'm pretty open minded. I've never considered Roy Orbison....possible but dated. Not sure that Tweedy would have a strong identification with his shows due to time periods, and JT's age at the time. All that being said, I think the tune is primarily being about the artist to fan relationship as the primary theme. Hell of a song, and a hell of a record.

P.S. I like Kingpin. Guilty pleasure. "How can I....How can I give my love to you when I don't know what to do."

P.P.S. 'Statue of liberty play, it only works once, don't throw it away." ......One of my favorite lines......

In regards to The Lonely 1, at this years JT solo show @ the Vic I requested this song. As Jeff was getting ready to play it he said "this song was requested by Matt, he must be very strong in his sexuality" this makes me think it's about he and a female.

From your story alone I'd guess the object of the song is a guy.

Up until now I'd only ever heard Westerberg's name mentioned as the inspiration for "The Lonely 1." The Neil Young suggestion makes sense to me and could totally fit. Phil Ochs I'm not so sure as Phil died in '76, a bit too early for Jeff to have probably seen in concert, unless of course the song is complete fiction and not as personal as it seems.