Does anybody else miss the covers?

I have been seeing the band live since 95...and I understand that Wilco has a deep and extensive catalog, but I miss the playfulness of when they use to do covers (not counting Woody Guthrie).

When did they stop and why?

Does anyone else miss the surprise of a beloved tune be dusted off and performed by Wilco?

I enjoy the Being There-era live recordings of Wilco and the covers they tossed into the setlists. Now, I don't really need to hear any covers. Their catalog is so deep and full of great songs (and so many that are rarities) that I'd rather not get a cover where another great Wilco song could've been included.

Is it considered a cover if Wilco plays one of Tweedy's Uncle Tupelo songs?

I guess kind of. They've done New Madrid tons of times.

They did tons of covers at the Madison Square Gardens show NYE years ago. It's on Owl and Bear. They did a great Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy.

I like the covers. Tweedy seems to do a fair bit of them solo, so I think he's a fan, too.

I vote for some Rush, Spirit of the Radio or Tom Sawyer. I'm not even much of a Rush fan but I think Nels and Glenn could do it justice and Jeff could figure out a way to channel his inner Geddy Lee.

If the tagline on the youtube video is accurate, Uncle Tupelo's last live song was a cover of Gimme Three Steps. How fantastic is that?!

Yeah, this actually has never set well with me. That's the note they went out on? A Skynyrd tune? I suppose a cover made it so they didn't have to exit on either a Farrar or Tweedy song -- a neutral tune, what have you...

Yeah, this actually has never set well with me. That's the note they went out on? A Skynyrd tune? I suppose a cover made it so they didn't have to exit on either a Farrar or Tweedy song -- a neutral tune, what have you...

and Brian Henneman sang the song, so they didn't have to worry about that either.