I'm not one who likes to make comparisons, but Kurt Vile reminds me of what I always wished Lou Reed and the VU would have sounded like.

Really great record. I got to see him and Thurston Moore when they came through Minneapolis earlier this year. Got to talk with him a bit after the show and shared a cigarette. Really nice guy and one of the first Rock Stars I've had the good fortune of speaking with for more than 20 seconds. ;)

I will try again, I've tried to love the record and just don't. I think Baby's Arms? is really nice, but I'll try. I do give him props for the hair. I like the long haired rock stars, remember the Wilco AM Days when Tweedy looked like a girl? Sweet stuff.

I will try again, I've tried to love the record and just don't. I think Baby's Arms? is really nice, but I'll try. I do give him props for the hair. I like the long haired rock stars, remember the Wilco AM Days when Tweedy looked like a girl? Sweet stuff.

It just clicked for me.. I wasn't a big fan at first either, but I was listening to Smoke Ring on a late night drive one time, and I just got it... Now I'm hooked. His last record "Childish Prodigy" is great too.

Had this in the headphones while waiting for the pain meds to work today...there is some really cool shit going on the production end of these songs...

Had this in the headphones while waiting for the pain meds to work today...there is some really cool shit going on the production end of these songs...

yeah, I'm not usually a huge fan of tons of reverb but I think this album sounds great in headphones. Hoping to see him live at some point.

yeah, I'm not usually a huge fan of tons of reverb but I think this album sounds great in headphones. Hoping to see him live at some point.

It's not just the reverb, but the way the acoustic guitars are mic'ed. I am enjoying this quite a bit more than I thought I would

• 1 year later...

His new record is every bit of awesome as I expected it would be.  Favorites are "Wakin On A Pretty Day", "Was All Talk", "Girl Called Alex" (LOVE this one).  "Goldtune"..  Not a single clunker on the whole album..

My wife put it best.  To paraphrase, "Kurt Vile's music is what all rock music would sound like if the shitty 80's new wave bands never came along and ruined it".  

Yeah, highly recommend seeing him live.  His show is definitely more scaled back than the albums since he does a lot of post-production sound effects in the studio.  At least on his last tour, he played with three guitarists (including himself), no bass player.  So lots of raw, noisy, guitar goodness.

Hoping to catch him in Asheville at the Grey Eagle in July.  Small, intimate place, should be awesome.