Shins "Port of Morrow"

Watched this again. This lineup has zero personality. He probably should have just done a solo project and not called it The Shins.

:yes

Marty was the only person in the old lineup worth watching on stage

that said... while i don't LOVE this new one by any means, it's about on par with Wincing for me (ie: loved 3-4 songs, dug 1-2 others, rest i could take or leave)

not sure what you're on about here - the album is/was released by the band, nobody is talking about an illegal rip or anything

tried listening again this weekend. There's some great instrumentation and a lot going on, I'm hoping it's a grower from that perspective. But a ton of the songs just sound really lame to me...

not sure what you're on about here - the album is/was released by the band, nobody is talking about an illegal rip or anything

tried listening again this weekend. There's some great instrumentation and a lot going on, I'm hoping it's a grower from that perspective. But a ton of the songs just sound really lame to me...

I don't think sonicshoulder was remarking about anything illegal, just the fact that there seems to be such strong opinions about the album before its official release date and, thus, the time necessary to allow it to really sink in.

I don't think sonicshoulder was remarking about anything illegal, just the fact that there seems to be such strong opinions about the album before its official release date and, thus, the time necessary to allow it to really sink in.

OK but how does listening to a song and forming an opinion about it matter whether it's before or after a release date? It's true that first impressions are "incomplete" by nature but if I had to do multiple listens of every album I didn't like after one go, I'd be backlogged until I was dead.

It was just an observation on how quickly some people tend to grade albums these day. Seems like when really good bands make a new record these days nobody is just happy to have a new album by a good band...it's usually more like "why doesn't it sound like their old stuff", or "it sounds too much like their old stuff", "they played it safe", etc... I think this record sounds just like all the other Shins albums and I'm good with that.