Top 3 All Time Underrated things on music earth

Underappreciated and underheard, for sure. But never underrated by anybody who's heard him play. Still a great one to give props to.

That's what makes this tough for me. What the hell does underrated mean? Underratted by who? Pretty much everyone one on this list is not underrated to the person who listed them.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 underrated/underappreciated BritPop bands:

• The Wonder Stuff

• Boo Radleys

• James

That's what makes this tough for me. What the hell does underrated mean? Underratted by who? Pretty much everyone one on this list is not underrated to the person who listed them.

True. A lot of the ones listed are overlooked or not well known rather than underrated.

True. A lot of the ones listed are overlooked or not well known rather than underrated.

For instance - I said They Might Be Giants. Most people think of Istanbul or the Animaniacs when they hear about that band and don't realize two of the greatest songwriters to ever live are in the band. So they are overlooked for what they really have to offer.

For instance - I said They Might Be Giants. Most people think of Istanbul or the Animaniacs when they hear about that band and don't realize two of the greatest songwriters to ever live are in the band. So they are overlooked for what they really have to offer.

I don't mean this the least bit sarcastically... what they put together for the "Here Comes Science" series is nothing short of brilliant. To make accessible, fun kids music so smart is no easy thing to pull off at all. Discovering those CDs (and having my kids love them as much as I did) was one of my most rewarding discoveries as a parent.

I don't mean this the least bit sarcastically... what they put together for the "Here Comes Science" series is nothing short of brilliant. To make accessible, fun kids music so smart is no easy thing to pull off at all. Discovering those CDs (and having my kids love them as much as I did) was one of my most rewarding discoveries as a parent.

Those albums are my go-to gift for all new babies along with the Beatles Rockabye cd

1. Pigpen's organ playing

2. Dylan's "Self Portrait"

3. Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers

I can go with those top two (never heard of the third). I like Self Portrait quite a bit.

1. Pigpen's organ playing

2. Dylan's "Self Portrait"

3. Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers

Good God. You actually like this abortion of a contract completer?

Bob Dylan --- Street Legal

Neil Diamond

Peter Frampton

Much the same response I used to get on rec.music.dylan back in the day.

Yeah, I do. I think it's a fun album. I found myself listening to it a lot some years ago during a time in my life where many things were happening that I remember now with fondness. One of Dylan's worst? Sure. Underrated? You betcha.

I like your choice of Street Legal. Now there's an album that came to me during a rather turbulent and shitty time in my life. Great record, though.

Are you confusing it with Dylan (A Fool Such As I)? Even if you are, that's got some fantastic songs on it too. As for Self Portrait, I play it more than every other Dylan album (apart from John Wesley Harding). On the whole, it has a brilliant sound to it, and the session musicians are about as good as it gets, too. Acutally, I'd rate Belle Isle and Copper Kettle as two of my favourite recordings from him across his entire career. I've said on here a number of times that this is the one period I'd love to see a bootleg series release from him.

Anyway, I'd, therefore, say it's probably overrated by me.

I can't be bothered to do an underrated list. I wouldn't know where to begin. I think it can be annoying when people have to give up making music because they can't make ends meet (if that qualifies as underrated), but as I don't take a cut of any of their profits I don't really care how many people know about / don't know about, admire or hate any given thing. in the modern world if people are good they can make music themselves and distribute it so even having no money is really such a great barrier as it was.

As a songwriter,

RON WOOD

That song, and that performance... chills.

XTC-''Nonsuch""

-Robert

Except for "The Smartest Monkeys", I agree.

But really, anything XTC!

Traveling Wilburys _Volume 1 (1988) One of the best garage bands and garage albums ever! (It was actually recorded in Bob Dylan's garage studio) Also marked the last recordings of Roy Orbison.

Dread Zeppelin's _ Un - Led - Ed (1990) Come on kids, reggae versions of Led Zep w/ an Elvis impersonator. An Un-derrated masterpiece!

Violent Femme's _ Hallowed Ground (1984) Some real dark musical shit indeed. Right up there with Bull Black Nova.

And a personal favourite album that no one has ever heard of and is highly underrated, even in Quebec: Harmonium_ Harmonium (1974) French Canadian progressive folk rock at it's best. Every time I play this album, someone invarably says, "What is this, who are these guys?" And then I make them a copy of the CD because it cannot be found anymore. :)

I've said on here a number of times that this is the one period I'd love to see a bootleg series release from him.

i'm not a torrent person, but this just emerged on hunger city!

Bob Dylan

Nashville Sessions 1969 and more

New Rattlesnake Boot Silver RIP RS250

Studio

01 Lay Lady Lay

02 One More Night

03 Blue Moon 1

04 Blue Moon 2

05 Ring of Fire

06 Take a Message to Mary

07 Living The Blues

08 Take Me As I Am

09 Let It Be Me

10 I Forgot More Than you'll Ever Know

11 Take A Message to Mary

12 Blue Moon

13 Folsom prison Blues

14 Ring of Fire

15 Ebay Sample

16 CNN News Report

17 Went To See The Gypsy

18 If Not For You

19 Sign on the Window

20 If Not For You

21 I Thre It All Away

22 Honey ,Just Allow Me One More Chance

23 Working on a Guru

24 Tomorrow Is A Long Time

running time 73.01

1-14 Previously Unreleased Studio Sessions Nashville,TN 1969

17-19 and 21-24 Studio Sessions New York NY 1970 (Improved Sound Quality)

20 Previously Unreleased Studio Session New York NY 1970

• 4 months later...

Timing.

Not necessarily what note is played, but where it's placed.

I suppose that this is linked in a way to "silence", but there is a distinction.

Listen to the first trumpet solo on the original recording of Art Blakey's "Moanin'". Lee Morgan nails it. And it's not that he is all over the place, but it's exactly WHERE he is. So perfect.

1. Miles Davis- A Tribute to Jack Johnson (1971) Everyone always points to Bitches Brew as his best fusion jazz, but I find this record to be one of his best. Far better than Bitches Brew...

2. J.J. Cale- Troubadour (1976) This album is amazing, and I don't think is gets the appreciation it deserves.

3. Built To Spill - Perfect from Now On (1997) The media seems to always focus on Keep It Like a Secret as the bands best record, but I disagree. I think this is one of the best, and most overlooked albums of the nineties.