I think it's time for

I think it's time for a new live version of Via Chicago.

The current version is/was great for a while but I'm feeling like it's time they switch that up a bit...or maybe I just need to go to fewer shows :yeaahh

I can understand this. Still think it is a pretty song, though. I now watch Jeff strum during the freak out sections, and I stay rooted in the melody.

OK, I sneak a glance at Glenn going crazy, But I try to focus on Jeff....all right, I check out what nuttiness Mikael is up to, but I really try to stay focused on Jeff. And Nels, he is distracting, with all of those jerky arm movements during the freak out sections, so it is hard not to watch him. Come to think of it, I like the live version as it is now.

What I do like about it is when I see this song live with someone who has never seen Wilco before. They are invariably stunned. Having seen this a number of times, the wow factor has worn off for me, but knowing that wow factor is in play for 1/2 the crowd or so, I'll continue to enjoy it.

What I do like about it is when I see this song live with someone who has never seen Wilco before. They are invariably stunned. Having seen this a number of times, the wow factor has worn off for me, but knowing that wow factor is in play for 1/2 the crowd or so, I'll continue to enjoy it.

This.

I agree with you. The shock factor is gone from the freakout version, and it's even a little too much for me at times. I'd be happy to hear something closer to the studio version in all its prettiness.

The album version is actually two different takes, one calm, one freakout, mixed together. That is what they are doing on stage. I'm pretty sure the live version is as close to the album version as you are going to get.

The album version is actually two different takes, one calm, one freakout, mixed together. That is what they are doing on stage. I'm pretty sure the live version is as close to the album version as you are going to get.

Fair enough. The freakout part on the album, though, is far more subdued than it is when they play it live in its current iteration. On the record, there's lots of feedback and drums but the melodic part carries more weight. Regardless, it would be nice to have them play a kinder gentler Via Chicago live once in a while.

The freakout part on the album, though, is far more subdued than it is when they play it live in its current iteration. On the record, there's lots of feedback and drums but the melodic part carries more weight, it would be nice to have them play a kinder gentler Via Chicago live once in a while.

Yes, totally agree...or even if the current version had just ONE of those loud freakouts it would have impact and still be beautiful.

I think they should change the way they play Impossible Germany live as well. That Nels solo in the middle is getting a little stale. Come on people, that's the song. It's great the way it is. They should open every concert with it IMO.

Well they have changed arrangements on songs in the past so it's not such a crazy idea. For example, Spiders is a much better song with the new arrangement, IMO. Same for Laminated Cat. Change can be good.

Fair enough. The freakout part on the album, though, is far more subdued than it is when they play it live in its current iteration. On the record, there's lots of feedback and drums but the melodic part carries more weight. Regardless, it would be nice to have them play a kinder gentler Via Chicago live once in a while.

Most of wilco's set is kinder and gentler....I like the chaos and dissonance.

I think that VC live in its current form is the most emotionally charged performance of a song that I have ever heard, and I absolutely love it. Maybe it can get better with some revamping, but I don't see how. It's a religious experience for me. Watching John and Jeff just strum and sing through the chaos side by side while Glen and Nels convulse in sound is amazing. Put me down as a "no" on changing this one.

I was a little lukewarm on the new Spiders. I like Jeff's solo acoustic version, so I liked the start of the the new full-band version, but after that it all seemed a little pieced together to me at first (and only) listen.

I am a big fan of the current Laminated Cat.

I agree with you. The shock factor is gone from the freakout version, and it's even a little too much for me at times. I'd be happy to hear something closer to the studio version in all its prettiness.

last time i saw them my friend and i just looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders during this part of VC as well as every songs wash of noise at the end via nels. still don't get the need for this.

I think they should change the way they play Impossible Germany live as well. That Nels solo in the middle is getting a little stale. Come on people, that's the song. It's great the way it is. They should open every concert with it IMO.

I disagree, the solo at the first night in prospect park was the best one i've heard in the roughly 15 shows i've been to. I was actually a little shocked, because i was starting to think this as well, but i think it still sounds fresh. Also, the solo IS that Impossible Germany. They'd be better off dropping it entirely than rearranging it.

Well they have changed arrangements on songs in the past so it's not such a crazy idea. For example, Spiders is a much better song with the new arrangement.

First let me say that I too like the latest version of Spiders, however, I don't know if it's all that new. I happened to listen to a show Wilco did on 09/04/03 the other night and was suprised to notice how similar the version was to how this song is played currently. It's certainly not an exact match, but its closer what they're playing now than the version they've played from 2005 until this year. The concert was pre Nels & Pat (Leroy Bach was playing with them at that time) so I don't know if that had something to do with it. The show is on Owl & Bear - Disc 1, Track 11 if you just want to download the one song to listen how it compares.

No to get too far away from the original thought in this thread, but the freak out section of Via Chicago has always made me think of turbulence on a plane. Stupid, I suppose, I guess the word "Via" puts me in a air traveling frame of reference.

There's a nice interview with John Stirratt linked in this thread where he points out that the current arrangement of Spiders is in the spirit of how it was first recorded.

Alive: You’ve been doing a reworked version of “

,” too, an acoustic version. Was that just a product of fooling around, or did you feel like the song needed a refresher, or what?

Stirratt: That was kind of the way the song originally was demoed. I heard Jeff perform it solo at a benefit, it was like a 9/11 benefit we did at the Metro, that I put on with some other people. He performed it like that solo, and I thought it was really nice. We demoed it that way, but we could never get Jim O’Rourke to get behind it, you know? (laughs) Who knows? It might have been a hit that way. But every time we did it in the studio it sounded a little bit too U2. But even then, we didn’t quite do it the way we do it now. It has a different sort of sensibility, a different tone.

No to get too far away from the original thought in this thread, but the freak out section of Via Chicago has always made me think of turbulence on a plane. Stupid, I suppose, I guess the word "Via" puts me in a air traveling frame of reference.

I like this. Never thought of it that way.

I can't stand the noise on Via Chicago live. The versions from 2004 ish are nice, thinking of Radio City/live album era. I don't think they did the noise then.

Mainly just on that song. The noise on Via Chicago kills the song for me. It's painful. I'd rather not hear them play it at all if that's how they will do it from here on in. The drone on Less Than You Think, the nosie at the end of Handshake Drugs, etc, I'm fine with that stuff, but not this.

just on that song? or noise in general?

I can't stand the noise on Via Chicago live. The versions from 2004 ish are nice, thinking of Radio City/live album era. I don't think they did the noise then.

The noisey section is definitely on Kicking Television, not sure about shows before that though

It doesn't seem as onmipresent on KT as it is in person..... but yes you're right it is there.