TWL was a big album, I think, because it was hard not to feel that there was a clear downward trend over the last four albums. Of course, when the first two links in that chain are YHF and AGiB, it's hard not to go backward. Anyway, I believe TWL is a huge return to form, and on my personal hit parade probably sits behind only those two masterpieces.

I think you could make a case that SBS is one of their absolute best "albums," though. In the sense that it has a very consistent vibe throughout. Granted, a vibe that some of us don't care much for. I continue to believe that the first half of this album is almost as strong as anything in the band's catalogue.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the Beatles?

LET IT BE kind of kills that

name some of the 1% bands....can anyone name a band that put out at least 10 LPs and the last 3 were just as solid as the stuff that came before?

The Beatles, Wilco & Paul Simon all instantly spring to mind, as do Yo La Tengo & The Flaming Lips & Donna The Buffalo...& some great later career work from Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams, Bob Dylan & Paul McCartney as well...There are loads of artists who've done great later career work...

Had a 6hr late night road trip w/ the kids tonight. My 6-yr-old daughter asked for SBS (it's what she has playing in her room every night), and it was on repeat the entire trip. 7 or 8 plays probably.

I was afraid this would make me hate the album, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Considered switching to TWL at one point, but I was happy and the kids were happily asleep. :).

Still think TWL is better overall, but SBS is such a good and all-around comfortable album.

So now all the haters can joke about SBS's worth as a sleep aid. ;)