• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - it's no contest to my mind. I always quite liked SBS more than lots of longer term fans here often expressed (except for Walken that is :-) ) but, really, TWL is outstanding. So much more variety and ideas, and some simply tremendous pop melodies, and there's nothing wrong with a smidgeon of good pop.

For me, it's almost the opposite. SBS is every bit as much of a statement as YHF. W(TA) seems like it was an attempt to capture all of Wilco's phases in one LP, but not many of the songs are as great as the originals from those phases -- e.g., BBN is a watered down Spiders to my ears. I'm not a big W(TA) hater, but I do actively dislike Everlasting Everything and feel there's only 3 or 4 really solid songs on it.

I'm not sure everyone is used to reading TWL as The Whole Love, and they're seeing it as WTA.

I'd say the Whole Love is a more consistent effort in songwriting, a more engaging listen in arrangement and production, and all around a better album. There are a few highs on SBS that could challenge many songs on TWL (You Are My Face, Impossible Germany), but all around TWL takes the cake for me because:

I'd rather hear Standing O than Walken

Rising Red Lung over Leave Me Like You Found Me

Born Alone over Shake It Off

One Sunday Morning over On and On and On

Black Moon over Please Be Patient With Me

But that's just how I hear it. Too each their own etc. etc.

SBS towers over Whole Love. the worst songs on SBS blow TWL away. I think TWL is a mess of an album and the good songs are ruined by Nels wankery.

i know i'm gonna get nailed on this one, but i just had to get it off my chest :whew

SBS towers over Whole Love. the worst songs on SBS blow TWL away. I think TWL is a mess of an album and the good songs are ruined by Nels wankery.

i know i'm gonna get nailed on this one, but i just had to get it off my chest :whew

I have no hammer and nails on my keyboard, but really? "a mess of an album"? Hard for me to fathom, but it is what it is.

with SBS the songs just seem more coherent to me. each one is like a little art rock suite with a hook and instrumental part. i'm thinking specifically of everything except the song SBS and please be patient with me. the songs on TWL just don't seem to go any where and just peter out. i'll probably get grilled for this too, but art of almost and one sunday morning are way too long and nel's dissonant solos just don't fit the songs like Dawned on me and i might. capital city, standing o and rising red lung are just toss offs to me that could have some really cool instrumental sections or something. also, on a whole, the songs just aren't there. nothing i found myself singing except the song Whole Love. so, that's where i'm coming from. i really wish i enjoyed it more. :worried

I love both records. My emotional attachment to SBS is stronger, mainly because it was the first "new" Wilco release after I became a fan, and my wife and I were becoming fans together. The bass playing is spectacular on both records -- something that seems to be lacking in the mix on WTA -- even on a song as sub-par as Leave Me Like You Found Me. I love the 1970s classic rock vibe of SBS, and for me it's a nice palate cleanser after digging into "heavier" Wilco records.

That being said, I think TWL is a far stronger record than SBS and with the exception of live recordings, is the finest example of what this lineup can do together.

We're merely comparing lesser works of a formerly great artist. I'll go with The Whole Love. Sky Blue Sky's second half is just too abysmal.

i'm just curious, when were they great? AGiB is their masterpiece as far as i'm concerned.

I think the period starting with Being There all the way through A Ghost is Born.

i really like AM, so i'd add that in. i'm with you on this though. bands do peak and decline and near the end may have another small peak. it's harder to discern this over the last 20 years as the sound of records has remained similar. where as, 70s bands shitty albums are the 80s sounding albums. when i first hear Whole Love my first thought was, this is the decline. each album before had at least some memorable songs and a favorite (SBS-WTA). but TWL is utterly unforgettable and in some ways quite self-referential, cover and all. it will be interesting to see these songs fall from the setlist over the next year. also, nels and pat need to go...sorry. if they want a guy to hook a guitar up to a bunch of distortion pedals and play the guitar with a steel rod, then i'll do it for half the salary.