Wilco - The Laptop Era

Speaking of O'Rourke, I was discussing this someone - I never thought O'Rourke sat in with WIlco at a show before, with the exception of their Letterman or Conan TV appearance. So I guess I was wrong - what other shows does O'Rourke sit in on?

I haven't listened to "laptop" or quartet era in awhile.

Not sure what other shows he might have guested on. Tweedy introduces him a few times on that recording. I think Scott McCaughey made guest appearances on quite a few of the late-2001 shows. I've heard him introduced on those recordings as well...usually on "California Stars" and whatever the last song was, e.g. "Outtamind Outtasite" or "I Got You."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not sure we've established that. I think Mikael was using a laptop quite a bit when he joined the tour in 2002. Whether Jeff was using one at that time, I don't know. I never saw those shows. But *someone* in Wilco certainly was using one.

Yeah, I don't know if I ever gotten anyone to confirm when Michael's first actual show with the band was. He was definitely with them on the West Coast run of shows in late August and early September of 2002 (I can hear him on the soundboards and he's in the Morning Becomes Eclectic video in that timeframe). He had a keyboard rig setup along with the laptop by the October 2002 shows.

--Mike

Correction: it's the 3/16/2002 show at UCLA, "All Tomorrow's Parties," where O'Rourke guested -- not the 10/29 show as I originally posted. He plays on the nine-minute version of "Not for the Season."

Jim guests on the encore of the 4-30-2003 Minus 5/Wilco show that's on the Owl archive. Well worth checking out. He guests on a few of the June 2003 show encores too. Somedays, I wish Jim was brought on as a full time member in 2001 as Jay's replacement.

--Mike

Not sure what other shows he might have guested on. Tweedy introduces him a few times on that recording. I think Scott McCaughey made guest appearances on quite a few of the late-2001 shows. I've heard him introduced on those recordings as well...usually on "California Stars" and whatever the last song was, e.g. "Outtamind Outtasite" or "I Got You."

Yeah, I think the Minus 5 opened for Wilco on some of those dates. When Wilco opened for R.E.M. in 2003, Scott plays on a few of those encores as well.

Jim O'Rourke also sat in with the six-piece a few times on the 2004 tour. I think he played the entire New Year's Eve 2004 show with them, but I could be misremembering.

--Mike

Yeah, I don't know if I ever gotten anyone to confirm when Michael's first actual show with the band was. He was definitely with them on the West Coast run of shows in late August and early September of 2002 (I can hear him on the soundboards and he's in the Morning Becomes Eclectic video in that timeframe). He had a keyboard rig setup along with the laptop by the October 2002 shows.

--Mike

I'm pretty sure Mike's first real show as a band member was 7/19/02 at the Murat Egyptian Room in Indianapolis. I think he told me so himself once. That fits in with your general timetable. :thumbup

I'm pretty sure Mike's first real show as a band member was 7/19/02 at the Murat Egyptian Room in Indianapolis. I think he told me so himself once. That fits in with your general timetable. :thumbup

Thanks so much! I think I may have that boot lying around somewhere will have to track it down.

Still on a live recording kick from this era. Listened to 10-29-2002 last night -- a phenomenal show at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Opens with a beautiful version of "Less Than You Think." Jim O'Rourke also guests on this show. Highly recommended listening.

my first ever wilco show!

:blink What is that?

In 2003, Wilco backed Scott McCaughey for three shows in promotion of Down With Wilco, Jessy Green also played with them on violin. For the 4/29 show, Jim O'Rourke joined that lineup in the encore and they did like three or four songs together. Edit: I thought this was on Owl, it isn't yet. Will try to fix soon.

--Mike

In 2003, Wilco backed Scott McCaughey for three shows in promotion of Down With Wilco, Jessy Green also played with them on violin. For the 4/29 show, Jim O'Rourke joined that lineup in the encore and they did like three or four songs together. Have you stopped reading my dumb post and started downloading it from the Owl yet? I promise it's worth it!

--Mike

It's not there! :blink

Speaking of O'Rourke, I was discussing this someone - I never thought O'Rourke sat in with WIlco at a show before, with the exception of their Letterman or Conan TV appearance. So I guess I was wrong - what other shows does O'Rourke sit in on?

I saw O'Rourke sit in on a couple of songs at Avalon in Boston on 10-2-01. They played California Stars and Beard of Stars (by T Rex) which, according to WIlcoBase, was the only time the band ever played it.

I saw O'Rourke sit in on a couple of songs at Avalon in Boston on 10-2-01. They played California Stars and Beard of Stars (by T Rex) which, according to WIlcoBase, was the only time the band ever played it.

He also sat in on the 4/24/2003 show, and one (if not both) of the October 2004 Radio City Music Hall shows.

my first ever wilco show!

Lucky! What a great one to start on.

In 2003, Wilco backed Scott McCaughey for three shows in promotion of Down With Wilco, Jessy Green also played with them on violin. For the 4/29 show, Jim O'Rourke joined that lineup in the encore and they did like three or four songs together. Have you stopped reading my dumb post and started downloading it from the Owl yet? I promise it's worth it!

--Mike

:rock

Sorry, the Minus Fur show isn't on the Wilco archive. They played two shows on April 30th, 2003. A World Cafe gig and a full gig in New York. Owl has the World Cafe set. I'll see what I can do about getting that show in the right hands so it's included in the next update.

--Mike

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

snapback.pngchoo-choo-charlie, on 05 September 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Yeah, I think the Minus 5 opened for Wilco on some of those dates. When Wilco opened for R.E.M. in 2003, Scott plays on a few of those encores as well.

Jim O'Rourke also sat in with the six-piece a few times on the 2004 tour. I think he played the entire New Year's Eve 2004 show with them, but I could be misremembering.

--Mike

Thanks for the tip, it is a pheomenal show. Who's the second voice in she's a jar? It is not John for sure...