Wilco - The Laptop Era

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the last two proper shows for the YHF tour on 9/19/2003 and 9/20/2003, both Nels and Pat guested on a few tunes. Handshake Drugs in particular, Nels played guitar, Pat played extra percussion near Glenn's rig. They both came into the band after Ghost was recorded. Their first shows are the 5/19 and 5/20/2004 gigs at Otto's in Dekalb. All four shows are available in the Wilco archive on Owl and Bear.

I'm partial to the 12/5/2001 Los Angeles show from the four piece, and all of the Filmore run (parts of which were filmed for the I Am Trying To Break Your Heart documentary) are worth seeking out.

--Mike

I've just checked O&B and none of those shows is available. :heartbroken Thanks for the info, anyway, I'll keep searching... :twitchsmile

I've just checked O&B and none of those shows is available. :heartbroken Thanks for the info, anyway, I'll keep searching... :twitchsmile

Woops, sorry...

id love to see a shakeup in wilco land. maybe even just a tour or two with a more stripped down lineup. something like jeff/john/glenn and one of the keyboard dudes? this lineup has really gelled in concert, but itd be cool to see them try something a little different. bring back the looseness of a smaller band.

I got into the band with AGiB, so I have only had the chance to see the currently lne-up. I have always wanted to see Wilco do speciality tours where they could do different lineups. With Jay being gone, we won't be able to see the ultimate vision of this, but they could still shake things up and do the post YHF lineup tour.

Maybe even do a mini tour with multinight stands in larger cities and do different lineups/themes per night

I know you guys don't really mean what you are saying. How long till someone posts "I miss Jay F".

This lineup is like an evolution.

This band puts it all out for us to see......2.5-3 hour sets of changing setlists, 100+ dates per year, new records in reasonable times, Jeff solo tours, open taping, live shows SB for sale.

I know you guys don't really mean what you are saying. How long till someone posts "I miss Jay F".

This band puts it all out for us to see......2.5-3 hour sets of changing setlists, 100+ dates per year, new records in reasonable times, Jeff solo tours, open taping, live shows SB for sale.

I hear ya and Nels can pull of what Bob did if he wanted...I just liked the sound of lapsteel, banjo's etcs more in the forefront of Wilco's music...Nels occasionally will pull out something funky and I like those moments.

It is an evolution in the grand wilco timeline, but since it's become the lineup it hasn't really evolved much. I'm not saying that it has to, or even should, just a recurring thought ive had after recent wilco shows. these shows kick ass and thats awesome, but it'd be neat to see the band in a slightly different configuration from time to time. even if its just nels/pat/mikael sitting out a song or two each night. the evening with tour was an amazing hint of how the lineup could evolve.

Maybe a small point, but you guys are overlooking how bad the Summerteeth material sounded with that stripped down lineup. Those versions of "Shot in the Arm" and "Can't Stand It" are really weak.

Also, isn't this just really another anti-Nels thread? Pat replaced Leroy, Mikael was already there.

I don't think what's been said is a knock on Nels at all. If anything I've come to appreciate him even more because of his ability to contribute subtle tones rather than just shred away and overplay. It says a lot about a guitarist who is incredibly talented, yet willing to take a backseat in service to the song. What I am saying is that I really like Jeff's stlye, particularly from A Ghost Is Born and wish he would step out a little more with lead guitar work. And while I know it probably would never happen, the idea of a stripped down band and some new arrangements to these songs would be exciting, although I wouldn't want to permanently lose this lineup.

Down here, near the bottom of the planet in New Zealand, we haven’t been lucky enough to witness Wilco’s evolution first-hand – they only really started touring here properly after SBS. However, a couple of years ago I felt I saw a little bit of the old Wilco when they played as part of Neil Finn’s “Seven Worlds Collide” thing. They did a bunch of Wilco songs as a four-piece (Jeff, John, Glenn, Pat) with Finn on organ, and it was a real joy. The nature of the gig meant that it was always going to be loose, and jammy, and I loved the hell out of it. I think they did too. There was space and a freeness to it.

I felt really privileged to see that side of them. But who am I to say that they should go back to that structure on a full-time basis? They’re my favourite band – I’m not going to tell them what they should do. Every change that they’ve made in their history has often confused, disappointed, or even alienated different groups of their fanbase – at least for a little while. Usually we come around in the end, and we realise that they were right all along.

In Jeff we must trust.

I'll just say ditto to everything fellow mike & froggie says...loved loved loved this period...

....yet felt so awful for how sick Jeff was, I was also struggling with many issues at the time so although I'd been a fan since UT & loved Being There, YHF & the DVD is what turned me into super-fan-for-life...

I am a gigantic Nels Cline fan...but I can also say that I think Jeff Tweedy is the most underrated guitarist in modern music. He really has that Neil Young/Richard Lloyd (Television) type of vibe, that I adore, down pat & brings his own unique twist to it as well. I've read that Nels is a huge fan of his playing as well...in fact IIRC when Nels was originally approached about joining he didn't see the point, precisely because he was so impressed with Jeff's playing...What an amazing band history to have had some many incredible guitarists pass through it's ranks...

Of course, he adds a lot & for Jeff, it gives him ample breathing room (not having to sing everything & play all the leads). "A Ghost Is Born" is a brilliant guitar album, with just Jeff on guitar (reminds me, to a lesser extent of when Paul Westerberg played pretty much all the guitars on "Pleased To Meet Me" & gave us a Replacements album that was, guitar-wise, as great as anything they ever did).

I think the live era being referred to here...post-Jay & pre-Nels, is amazing in it's own unique way. I understand why he chose not to continue it though. Now, with the addition of Nels, & the great mufti-instrumentalist, bu also great guitarist, Pat Sansone, Wilco has an incredible 3, count 'em 3, guitar attack. Attack with love, indeed...

Still on a live recording kick from this era. Listened to 10-29-2002 last night -- a phenomenal show at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Opens with a beautiful version of "Less Than You Think." Jim O'Rourke also guests on this show. Highly recommended listening.

Speaking of O'Rourke, I was discussing this someone - I never thought O'Rourke sat in with WIlco at a show before, with the exception of their Letterman or Conan TV appearance. So I guess I was wrong - what other shows does O'Rourke sit in on?

I haven't listened to "laptop" or quartet era in awhile.