I have loved this power pop masterpiece ever since I heard it. Today listening to the soundboard recording from 1999 (Bogart's, Cincinnati), I was reminded of the lyrical dispute...i distinctly hear something different than the official lyrics.

In reading the lyrics as have been posted on supposedly authoritative sights, the first verse is as follows:

I'm the boy who looks excited

I'm the boy who's gonna fall apart

Candyfloss I lie to myself...

However, I distinctly hear the following

I'm the boy who looks excited

I'm the boy who's gonna fall apart

Candyfloss a plot device ...

It is even more pronounced later in the song.

Now admittedly this is not a matter of great importance fourteen years after the fact, but I hear what I hear. "A plot device' fits in better with Jeff's literary themes and addas a bit of self awareness to the song that makes it even more charming.

Thoughs? Questions? Comments? Cheers? Jeers?

Yeah, my ears agree with yours, I have always heard him sing "plot device."

--Mike

And it just works so much better.

With all the angst for producing a hit single off SUMMERTEETH, I have alwasy been somewhat surprised that Candyfloss was ingored and almost didn't even make the record.

Back in the day, it's just the kind of song that could had caught the ears of teenage girls.

Well, I'll be damned. I can't believe I never noticed that. I just listened to all 7 versions of this on my iPod (3 Tweedy solo, 4 Wilco) and it's not a fluke. Sounds like "a plot device and. . ." In every version. What gives, I wonder? I've never known bemydemon.org to get something so obviously wrong.

I was not aware anyone believed the line was not "plot device."

http://www.bemydemon.org/songs/candyfloss.htm

Now that you all are seemingly stating that you never bought the official lyrics, how about the thought that this might have actually had some luck with getting airplay?

Or even notingsevergonnastandinmyway (again).

Idiocy abounds in moribund industries...these guys have the blood of the music industry on their hands/

I'd say that's the MP3, but I suppose it could be bad music journalism, you may just be onto something there.

Actually, I was referring to the music industry execs.

Sorry, I was crossing my attention between 2 threads. Still the MP3 though.

The movie and TV industry managed to survive and thrive in the age of digital downloads...why not the music industry?

Lack of imagination. Luddite thinking. Greed. Stupidity. Mismanagement. Short sightedness.

But this is probably better suited for another thread. Don't want to sully the glory that is Candyfloss.

And it just works so much better.

With all the angst for producing a hit single off SUMMERTEETH, I have alwasy been somewhat surprised that Candyfloss was ingored and almost didn't even make the record.

Back in the day, it's just the kind of song that could had caught the ears of teenage girls.

Do you mean back in 1999 this song would catch the ears of teenage girls?

Do you mean back in 1999 this song would catch the ears of teenage girls?

Why not?

But it never had a stinking chance.

Given the emotional and addictive state of various members of the band, not achieveing massive success is probably a good thing.

Why not?

But it never had a stinking chance.

Given the emotional and addictive state of various members of the band, not achieveing massive success is probably a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, Candyfloss is excellent, but in 1999 the teenage girls were listening to Backstreet Boys, NSync, and other boy bands.

Don't get me wrong, Candyfloss is excellent, but in 1999 the teenage girls were listening to Backstreet Boys, NSync, and other boy bands.

It's a moot point.