Wilco to play Australia- REALLY!!!!

If you wanted 1 or 2 seats you would of be right for a front row position, we wanted more. Third row is not to shabby :dancing

Isn't that odd! Guess I should have rung at nine as well. That's okay, I'm sure the band will appreciate a night off from me ;)

Now WTF is going on with Sydney?!?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that odd! Guess I should have rung at nine as well. That's okay, I'm sure the band will appreciate a night off from me ;)

Can still get some good seats - third row if you're happy to be at the end of the row, or middle of the lower level if you want to be centre.

• 2 weeks later...

Sydney added.

Wednesday, March 27 – Hamer Hall, Melbourne

Thursday, March 28 -– Hamer Hall, Melbourne

March 30-April 1 – Bluesfest, Byron Bay

Tueaday, April 2 – Opera House, Sydney

Saturday, April 5 – The Town Hall, Wellington

Sunday, April 6 – The Town Hall, Auckland

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/34402/Wilco-announce-a-Sydney-sideshow

Plus West Coast Blues 'n' Roots Festival on 24 March. Which could allow for a Brisbane show on the 25th, although I can't see them adding another Sydney show given that would mean three nights in a row in at least two different cities a fair way away from each other.

An Evening with Wilco on April 2nd at the Sydney Opera House! My favorite band playing (hopefully) a long show in my favorite city. Lived there for 6 months in college and ever since have been saving up my frequent flier miles specifically for going back. Is it time??

An Evening with Wilco on April 2nd at the Sydney Opera House! My favorite band playing (hopefully) a long show in my favorite city. Lived there for 6 months in college and ever since have been saving up my frequent flier miles specifically for going back. Is it time??

Wow, I don't know anything about the weather in Australia in April but assuming it's good and the stars are otherwise aligned for you to make a return trip then, I would think this will be a can't miss show. To me, the Evening With designation means no opening act and a long, epic show from Wilco. The Evening With shows in 2010 are what transformed me from a fan to an addict.

April should be nice - starting to cool down (won't be any 40+ days), but not cold yet (having said that 'cold' in Sydney and Melbourne is anything under 15). The opera house would be an amazing venue too, unfortunately I just booked my flights back from Bluesfest, so I don't think I can justify flying back up to Sydney, still three shows isn't too bad.

Is this definitely an extended 'Evening with' show (the last tour was billed as an Evening with, but was regular length shows)? I'm going to have to make some costly changes to flight bookings to make one of these, but it'd be worth it if there was some confirmation that this was going to be a chance to hear things I'll probably never hear otherwise.

Really want to go to the second Sydney night, but I've already got a ticket to Robert Plant in Melbourne on 3 April. Anyone want to buy it for $149 (face value, no ticketing fees etc)? It's roughly centre in the middle of the floor (sold out now). Figured I'd be more likely to have some luck here than in the tickets section.

• 2 months later...

BUMP! Any other VCers hitting up this tour? Can we get a roll call going? I will be at both Sydney shows, and have been getting ridiculously excited as April draws closer. I'm trying not to build up my expectations too much, but it's proving *very* tough after having seen one of their "An Evening with..." shows a few years back.   

Also - I may not post here much, but I'd still like to grab some pre-show drinks if anyone's game. The Opera Bar seems the most logical spot, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Long time Wilco fan, seen them many times on their previous Aussie tours, but never posted here before. I was just going to both Melbourne shows, but as I'm now going to be between jobs while the tour is on, I've now bought tickets to both shows in Sydney, and flying over to Wellington and Auckland as well. I'm going solo to the Sydney and NZ shows, so would be happy to meet up for a pre show drink with anyone else attending!

So excited for this tour!

I'm going to Wellington and Auckland but doubt I'll have time for drinks first because I'm only getting to each town in time to line up!

Be good to see any VCers there though and maybe afterwards.

Saw this interview on Wilco Daily http://thedailywilco.tumblr.com/post/44174801787/jeff-tweedy-on-the-interview-show-2-1-13 

where Jeff explains the 'Evening with' refers to no opening act, in the case of Sydney because the Symphony practice between soundcheck and the show.

Thought I'd mention this here too since Melbournians aren't as likely to look in the tickets section:

I can't go to the Neil Young  show in Melbourne on the 15th anymore because of a bit of a family emergency. I'm leaving Melbourne on 12 March, so will need to have everything arranged by then (can either arrange to meet up in the CBD before the 12th, or make a payment and I'll overnight it). Looking for $125 or make an offer (original cost was $165 incl fees).

Pre-tour phone call with JS

http://www.thebrag.com/2013/03/14/music-interview-wilco/

Wilco
Whole Again

By Dijana Kumurdian

It’s something intangible that hits you between your heart and your groin,” says Wilco’s bass player John Stirratt. “That’s what makes a song for me. It’s not incredible words, not incredible music – it’s a feeling in that part of your gut that’s right in between your hips or your groin and your heart, you know?”

When the co-founder of an American alt-rock giant reveals to you the secret of a good song, you should probably take note. Along with frontman Jeff Tweedy, Stirratt is the longest-standing member of Wilco, a band that’s toured almost ceaselessly in the past 20 years and somehow found time to release eight studio albums.

Their latest, 2011’s sprawling The Whole Love, has been touted as their most conceptually diverse. “I like how many feels and musical styles there are on it, in terms of spacey country and sort of more modern post rock,” explains Stirratt. “I like how it all came together in one record. I think that’s something we’ve tried to do, to create a more non-linear record over the last two records, especially. And I think it was a lot more successful than Wilco (The Album) in that regard. It’s hard to do that. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot really has a certain… it has a real linear sound. There’s obviously different-sounding tunes, but this one’s maybe more jarring from certain songs to certain songs.”

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was Wilco’s defiant, and defining, gesture. Already beginning to break from their earlier twang with Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’s digressive noise sections – sandwiched between the usual lovesick country-tinged rock – led Warner imprint Reprise Records to reject the finished record.

“There was definitely this resentment towards someone not really liking the record we were really proud of,” says Stirratt. “But I think we were a little bit shielded from it by the management, and in my mind it was always going to be a forward step for all of us. There was kind of this idea early on that we were probably going to get the record and be able to go somewhere else with it. So, there wasn’t so much concern. It seemed like an exciting kind of thing for me. I’m sure I was shielded from the bad scenarios or the worse things that could’ve happened. […] It always felt like we were really proud of the record, we knew what it was and we knew people would like it. It was just a question of where it would end up. So, c’est la vie, you know?”

Even so, Stirratt says the band didn’t exactly revel in the sticking-it-to-the man scenario as it played out. “More than anything, we were sort of nonplussed or sort of hurt at the beginning,” he says. “But I think when everybody heard about it being this victory for us in terms of us being able to sell it back to Warner Bros [imprint Nonesuch Records] – we didn’t mean for that, I mean, obviously we didn’t orchestrate that or anything – and we felt exposed more than anything. We didn’t have time to feel badass.”

Since then, Wilco has set up their own label, dBpm, securing the band’s control over their own sound – although Stirratt admits that they’ve never struggled too much, outside of the Yankee dispute, to go their own way. “Even people at Reprise would come by and hear a few things later in the process, but they were never involved in the studio. We’ve been lucky because we’ve never had to deal with it.”

Wilco is returning to Australia in its post-2004 incarnation, which includes guitarist Nels Cline, all-rounder Pat Sansone, keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen and drummer Glenn Kotche, in addition to Tweedy and Stirratt. “It’s definitely been the definitive live band, or live version, of Wilco,” says Stirratt. “We’ve developed a rapport on and off stage, which has been something that’s really rare to find in a band.”

Australian fans should expect the unexpected from Wilco’s upcoming shows: “We really go out of our way not to play nearly the same show that we did the previous time,” says Stirratt. “Especially now it’s so easy, it’s so accessible online to find out [our setlists].” He’s referring to the online culture of setlist-swapping among Wilco fans over the last decade – while it’s now common practice thanks to sites like setlist.fm as well as fan message boards, Wilco fans were among the earliest and most passionate sharers. “Around 2000-2001 we had heard about our online presence … [People] were trading the setlists from the shows, and they were sort of communicating with each other online and the thing sort of flowered between the band and the audience over the years.

“We have the setlists on record, so if we’re in Melbourne we’ll look and see what we did last time and stay away from that. I mean, there’s always the new record you’ve got to focus on, of course,” he adds. “But everything else, that’s the luxury of a big catalogue – to be able to work around it.”

• 2 weeks later...