Homeland and/or Boardwalk Empire

discuss. I cant believe how im into both of them as much as i was into the wire and the sopranos.

TV does not get any better than these two.

Both are good, but not great shows IMO. Boardwalk Empire gets too slow at times I do not care for several of the sub plots right now, (Van Alden, the Women's Clinic, etc.) and I miss Jimmy.

Homeland is starting to get to twisty for its own good. After this season I am not sure how they go forward.

The show that is super awesome right now is Hunted. A BBC import that is on Cinemax.

I currently watching season 2 of Boardwalk Empire. I just watched the epislde in which ____ and _____ are murdered in cold blood by the guy that ____ tried to kill. Major bummer. I liked those characters.

I guess you could describe almost every BE episode like that.

Both are good, but not great shows IMO. Boardwalk Empire gets too slow at times I do not care for several of the sub plots right now, (Van Alden, the Women's Clinic, etc.) and I miss Jimmy.

Homeland is starting to get to twisty for its own good. After this season I am not sure how they go forward.

The show that is super awesome right now is Hunted. A BBC import that is on Cinemax.

That looks pretty interesting. How many episodes have aired? Plus, who doesn't like Melissa George?

van alden is the absolute bomb. i love it when he went apeshit in the office.

yeah the womens clinic is a bit slow. there has never been a nastier woman on tv than jimmys mom. good lord.

i couldnt see how Homeland could go any furhter after last season but i think things are coming around nicely. all kinds of good stuff.

I'll look into hunted but i dont get Cin with hbo and sho.

I tried to get into Boardwalk Empire, but (despite Steve Buscemi) I couldn't really enjoy it. Good show, well acted, but it still didn't make me want to watch it more. I guess the base story just seems boring to me.

Homeland is fantastic, though. Some of the best actors working on that show, from top to bottom. Very realistic plot lines, very relevant stories. My biggest concern is that the production team is from "24" so I fear (and yet expect) it to dive into silliness... but it hasn't yet, so I'm enjoying the ride for now.

I just started watching Homeland on Netfix for the first time last night because I don't have cable. It is fun enough. I have watched Boardwalk. Nearly all current series on cable have lots of frontal nudity, particulary these two.

Has anyone watched the Israeli series that Homeland is based on?

Louie C.K. is brilliant but not for the lfaint of heart or those who don't like gross out humor.

LouieB

I loved Sopranos and love Boardwalk Empire. Terence Winter does some great work.

Boardwalk is only occasionally slow. It has gotten intense, with a fair amount if major characters getting killed. I can see where it might be too dark for some, but not many slow episodes this season.

The writing in Homeland's season 2 has just blown me away. Even if I have no clue what the overall season will try to argue, each episode has wonderful character analysis and momentum. For the entire first season, Damien Lewis and the show worried me because Lewis kept on returning to his cues from Life (TV series). But, (spoilers) Damien Lewis's performance in season 2 has changed my minds and dissipated most of my worries.

I have heard some people worry about the 24-ization of Homeland with its plot twists. I'm semi-worried; but, the consequences are coming, and hard.

The writing in Homeland's season 2 has just blown me away. Even if I have no clue what the overall season will try to argue, each episode has wonderful character analysis and momentum. For the entire first season, Damien Lewis and the show worried me because Lewis kept on returning to his cues from Life (TV series). But, (spoilers) Damien Lewis's performance in season 2 has changed my minds and dissipated most of my worries.

I have heard some people worry about the 24-ization of Homeland with its plot twists. I'm semi-worried; but, the consequences are coming, and hard.

his performance was unreal in sundays episode i thought. best yet. he was about to break down and now it looks like his stress level should be x10 :)

to me a few episodes back when there was that silent moment in the gettysburg store with Quinn and then those guys came busting in i about had a stroke. i thought that was as good a tense moment as ive seen in any tv show or movie ever.

By the way, has anyone seen Damien Lewis in Life? I really loved the witty writing in that show, even though the skeletal plot was weak. I thought Damien Lewis drew a lot from Life for his role in Homeland since they have some crossover.

Once again, really late to the show, since I don't have cable and honestly don't like series like this in general. I must say I am caught up in Homeland, about 3/4 of the way through the first season on DVD. It is entertaining enough, but when the soap opera aspects kick in I always yell "back to the spying." I realize all the improbable interpersonal stuff has interest to some people, but the improbable espionage and conspiricy stuff is what I watch the show for. Also I have a thing about Mandy Patikin, who was ridiculous on the horrendous Criminal Minds, but in this series is pretty watchable, except I always think he is about to break out into a musical number.

For a lengthy cable drama it is pretty good.

LouieB

It is entertaining enough, but when the soap opera aspects kick in I always yell "back to the spying."

I had the same reaction to this in The Newsroom which ultimately turned me off from watching it. So far, the soap opera aspects of Homeland haven't gone too far for my taste. There are some good parts of it in Season 2.

I had the same reaction to this in The Newsroom which ultimately turned me off from watching it. So far, the soap opera aspects of Homeland haven't gone too far for my taste. There are some good parts of it in Season 2.

Since I am only on season 1 (moving as fast as I can), I would agree. I completely stopped watching some of the regular network shows that forgot what the purpose was (House should have stuck to doctoring and Bones and CSI to forensic science) and lost me. The pacing on Homeland is pretty fast with a good plot twist for each episode, so they have not lost me yet.

LouieB

I hope it doesn't get too tight. I think it's great right now. The guy who plays Al Capone is getting better and better, the tension on Nucky is constantly getting ratcheted up, and you know it's only a matter of time before Rothstein gets whacked, unless they deviate from history. I have been surprised how many major characters have already died. It seems no one is safe except Nucky and Lucky Luciano...again, unless they deviate from history.

• 2 months later...

The show that is super awesome right now is http://www.cinemax.com/hunted/]Hunted.[/url] A BBC import that is on Cinemax.

It was watchable but lost its way towards the end. It was a semi-replacement for The sadly missed Spooks that was excellent through several series (bar the odd bit of improbable electronics spying wizardry) Did that ever get to the US? Be careful not to get too attached to any character - they usually get bumped off ...

It was watchable but lost its way towards the end. It was a semi-replacement for The sadly missed Spooks that was excellent through several series (bar the odd bit of improbable electronics spying wizardry) Did that ever get to the US? Be careful not to get too attached to any character - they usually get bumped off ...

It's called MI-5 over here.

Anyway...a really good show. I watched up until Adam Carter (Rupert Penry-Jones) got blown up.