New Yo La Tengo "Fade" Coming Out 1/15/13 & Tour Dates, etc.

First album in 4 years, by one of the few bands whose work I still buy before I hear them. I am very excited! Along with Wilco, & The Flaming Lips, Yo La Tengo is about as great a band as there is in the world. I've seen them well over a dozen times over the years now & can't recommend them highly enough. Most recently I saw one of their Hanukkah shows in 2011 & then just a few weeks ago for a "Freewheelin' Yo La Tengo" show in Ithaca, & they were amazing at both gigs...but...this time I'm hoping for more dates in the Spring...because being that the dates closest to me are in the middle of Winter, & many hours away (Cleveland Feb. 7th & Toronto Feb. 9th) I really can't buy advanced tickets because of the weather...so I hope that both don't sell out & then I'll just have to watch the ten day forecast.

Here's the first track to be released from "Fade", the haunting & ethereal "Stupid Things" (came out a little while ago- but it's all we've got so far):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwhGbnOs3fU

http://pitchfork.com...new-album-tour/

Yo La Tengo have announced details of their new studio album. Fade will be released on January 14 in the UK and January 15 in the U.S. via Matador. The follow-up to 2009's Popular Songs was recorded with John McEntire at Soma Studios in Chicago. Check out the tracklist below, along with dates for the band's 2013 tour. (This December, they'll also continue their tradition of Hanukkah shows at the Hoboken club Maxwell's.) The deluxe edition of the LP features a bonus 7" containing covers of Todd Rundgren's "I Saw the Light" and Times New Viking's "Move to California", while the deluxe digital version contains "an additional 11-minute bonus track, untitled as of this writing," according to the Matablog.

Read Paul Thompson's recent Update interview with the band here, along with a Paper Trail interview with author Jesse Jarnow about his recent biography of the band, Big Day Coming: Yo La Tengo and the Rise of Indie Rock.

"Fade" by Yo La Tengo:

01 Ohm

02 Is That Enough

03 Well You Better

04 Paddle Forward

05 Stupid Things

06 I'll Be Around

07 Cornelia and Jane

08 Two Trains

09 The Point of It

10 Before We Run

Yo La Tengo Tour Dates:

12-8-15 Hoboken, NJ - Maxwells (Hanukkah shows)

01-23 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle

01-24 Charlottesville, VA - Jefferson

01-25 Atlanta, GA - Buckhead *

01-26 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge

01-27 Birmingham, AL - WorkPlay

01-29 Louisville, KY - Brown *

01-31 St. Louis, MO - Pageant *

02-01 Chicago, IL - Vic

02-02 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall

02-04 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue

02-05 Madison, WI - Barrymore

02-07 Cleveland, OH - Beachland

02-08 Ann Arbor, MI - Michigan Theater

02-09 Toronto, Ontario - Phoenix

02-11 Montreal, Quebec - Corona

02-12 Burlington, VT - Higher Ground

02-13 Boston, MA - Paradise

02-15 Washington, DC - 9:30

02-16 New York, NY - Town Hall

03-01 Lisbon, Portugal - Aula Magna

03-02 Porto, Portugal - Casa Da Musica

03-06 Barcelona, Spain - Festival Millenni

03-08 Lausanne, Switzerland - Les Docks

03-10 Milan, Italy - Limelight

03-11 Frankfurt, Germany - Mousontourm

03-12 Dusseldorf, Germany - Zakk

03-13 Berlin, Germany - Volksbuhne

03-16 Brussels, Belgium - AB

03-17 Amsterdam, Holland - Paradiso

03-18 Paris, France - Le Bataclan

03-20 London, England - Barbican

03-21 Manchester, England - The Ritz

03-22 Glasgow, Scotland - O2 ABC

03-23 Dublin, Ireland - Vicar Street

* with Calexico

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their current lineup formed around the time they released Painful. But I think most fans agree that their albums started shining around May I Sing With Me and Fakebook. Most people regard I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out as their masterpiece albums. Autumn Sweater, You Can Have It All, Sugarcube, and Our Way To Fall have seen high numbers of listen according to Last.fm if you're looking for singles and songs.

If you have the time, start from the beginning and just work chronologically. If you need a litmus test, go with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. If you're willing to take risks, just start at their concerts. Good luck.

Their current lineup formed around the time they released Painful. But I think most fans agree that their albums started shining around May I Sing With Me and Fakebook. Most people regard I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out as their masterpiece albums. Autumn Sweater, You Can Have It All, Sugarcube, and Our Way To Fall have seen high numbers of listen according to Last.fm if you're looking for singles and songs.

If you have the time, start from the beginning and just work chronologically. If you need a litmus test, go with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. If you're willing to take risks, just start at their concerts. Good luck.

Thanks for that. I have picked up I Can Hear The Heart so I'll see how I go.

As with many bands I was late to finding these guys but I am making up for it. Never had the pleasure to see them live and unfortunately it looks like it won't be in the near future. Closest show on this tour appears to be a few states away. Oh well, thanks for posting the song, sounds great.

For me, Electr-O-Pura is where I began and I still think it's a great place to start. It's a great cross-section of all the parts of their sound, from the pop ("Tom Courtenay") to the noisy ("Blue Line Swinger") to the soft and beautiful ("As the Hour Grows Late"). Also, "Pablo and Andrea" has one of my favorite guitar solos of all-time. (It begins at about 2:45 and just does everything that a guitar solo is supposed to do.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxq3GD93GS0

For me, Electr-O-Pura is where I began and I still think it's a great place to start. It's a great cross-section of all the parts of their sound, from the pop ("Tom Courtenay") to the noisy ("Blue Line Swinger") to the soft and beautiful ("As the Hour Grows Late"). Also, "Pablo and Andrea" has one of my favorite guitar solos of all-time. (It begins at about 2:45 and just does everything that a guitar solo is supposed to do.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxq3GD93GS0

I don't think Electr-O-Pura quite captured the western/quieter/folkier/bluesier side of Yo La Tengo. It's mostly focused on alternative and noisy rock, with a couple detours like the underappreciated Paul Is Dead. Even most of the quieter detours have an organ or some other hum backing them. I love Electr-O-Pura, but I don't think it's anywhere as diverse as I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. Electr-O-Pura is definitely more cohesive.

• 3 weeks later...