New Yo La Tengo "Fade" Coming Out 1/15/13 & Tour Dates, etc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Chicago show where they read the Seinfeld script. I would call that an off night. Boring.

I was actually front row to that.  For them to decide to re-enact The Chinese Restaurant entirely is extremely abnormal, far from boring.  If you want to talk about boring, let's talk about how all bands play music for 1-2.5 hours and leave the stage every night and move to another city to do the same thing, again, and again, 72 times, a year.  After that, they enter the studio to make new music.  And then they rinse and repeat, for their entire life.  You're certainly allowed to dislike the script reading.  Calling their plan to sporadically change their planned act by a wheel which encompasses a line by line reading of a comedy,... yeah, I'm sure the word you're looking for is, boring.

Who are you to allow or not allow me to dislike script reading? I confirmed the definition of bored and can confirm I was bored. I'm not saying you were bored or that the band was bored. I'm not saying they didn't try something different. They failed to keep me interested in what was going on. I won't go see them again. I was hoping they'd play music when I went to see them. Most bands that i choose to pay to see do keep me engaged for their entire performance.

Who are you to allow or not allow me to dislike script reading? I confirmed the definition of bored and can confirm I was bored. I'm not saying you were bored or that the band was bored. I'm not saying they didn't try something different. They failed to keep me interested in what was going on. I won't go see them again. I was hoping they'd play music when I went to see them. Most bands that i choose to pay to see do keep me engaged for their entire performance.

See, this is why we can't have nice things.

I was hoping they'd play music when I went to see them. Most bands that i choose to pay to see do keep me engaged for their entire performance.

That was the Wheel of Fortune tour where they did whatever the wheel landed on. Completely special deal then a normal tour, Trust me....they've been known to play lots of music live!

Love this record, it definitely has a vibe that I associate with Chicago experimental rock scene of bands like The Sea and Cake, Tortoise, Jim O'Rourke/Loose Fur, which makes sense since it was recorded at Soma with John McEntire. Though one of my favorite things about YLT albums is their eclectic unpredictability, it was interesting to hear them go with a sustained mood for an entire record and cut down the jams. I love it a lot, for it to truly be my favorite YLT record, it would have to have a James song/lead vocal on it. Now I'll go back to my corner with my Dump records:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXsZh6C5BCs

I saw the Chicago show where they read the Seinfeld script. I would call that an off night. Boring.

I have only read about them doing stuff like that, so while I think it is hysterical as a concept, I would imagine being there in the room for the fifteenth minute of them doing "The Soup Nazi" might have a limited appeal. Particularly, if there's a guitar behind Ira just waiting for him to do this to:

I have only read about them doing stuff like that, so while I think it is hysterical as a concept, I would imagine being there in the room for the fifteenth minute of them doing "The Soup Nazi" might have a limited appeal. Particularly, if there's a guitar behind Ira just waiting for him to do this to:

Thanks for Posting this video, was alotta fun to watch!

And thanks for providing the link,Linclink.

And I have to agree with Pop Todd: the Pablo and Andrea guitar solo is awesome.It reminds me of Keith Richards' solo on Bitch; the way the guitar solo leads the song in a new direction.

I just bought the mp3 download ysterday and haven't listened to it yet, either, but I'm going to see them at the Jefferson Theatre (great, small venue in Charlottesville) next week, so I'm looking forward to getting familiar with it before the show.

Their current lineup formed around the time they released Painful. But I think most fans agree that their albums started shining around May I Sing With Me and Fakebook.

I am probably biased since I started with the combo cd New Wave Hot Dogs / President Yo La Tengo and I think that's a great place to start. And much stronger than May I Sing With Me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo La Tengo has a new video for Fade's I'll Be Around.  The video contains Mac MacCaughan [superchunk-member / Merge-headmaster], lots of text, lyrics (not necessarily from this song), two recipes, and more silent "what the deuce?" moments!

Also, Ira does an interview with, um,... Bon Appétit of all places.  If you're wondering why, you should investigate!

Assuming that is Ira and Georgia's home, I love it. Gorgeous setting. So, that is the beautiful New Jersey that I've heard about?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the show last night in Boston and it was fantastic; I really love this band. 

As with most of this tour they opened with a quieter/acoustic set (including a tasty cover of Balancing Act by 1980s Boston band Volcano Suns) and a great version of Ohm.  Then they took a break, came back, and plugged in the guitars for a loud second set.  That set also included a version of Ohm and ended with a 15+ minute guitar freakout of Pass the Hatchet I Think I’m Goodkind.  The encore included a Velvets cover (I Heard Her Call My Name) and an Only Ones song (The Whole of the Law).

My only disappointment was the version of one of my favorite songs on the new album (Before We Run) wasn't as great as I wanted it to be - but I realized that's in large part to he fact that the studio version includes horns and strings - so it just felt like something was missing.

If you are on the fence about seeing these guys because of unpredictability, don't worry.  There's no Condo Fucks, no Seinfeld reading, no Sounds of Science.  It's just Yo La Tengo doing what they do best.

Saw the show last night in Boston and it was fantastic; I really love this band. 

As with most of this tour they opened with a quieter/acoustic set (including a tasty cover of Balancing Act by 1980s Boston band Volcano Suns) and a great version of Ohm.  Then they took a break, came back, and plugged in the guitars for a loud second set.  That set also included a version of Ohm and ended with a 15+ minute guitar freakout of Pass the Hatchet I Think I’m Goodkind.  The encore included a Velvets cover (I Heard Her Call My Name) and an Only Ones song (The Whole of the Law).

My only disappointment was the version of one of my favorite songs on the new album (Before We Run) wasn't as great as I wanted it to be - but I realized that's in large part to he fact that the studio version includes horns and strings - so it just felt like something was missing.

If you are on the fence about seeing these guys because of unpredictability, don't worry.  There's no Condo Fucks, no Seinfeld reading, no Sounds of Science.  It's just Yo La Tengo doing what they do best.

I can understand people disliking Sounds Of Science and Seinfeld, but what's wrong with the Condo Fucks?  They [Yo La Tengo] do noisy punk/garage/rock originals and covers all the time.  From A Motel 6, Drug Test, and Little Honda remain very popular and favored.  By concept and philosophy, those songs and The Condo Fucks share a lot of room together.  Are there people that actually hate From A Motel 6, Watch Out For Me Ronnie, Sugarcube, Little Honda, Cherry Chapstick,...  Or do they just hate covers?  Or do they hate both?  I cannot imagine a Venn Diagram where a Yo La Tengo fan dislikes Condo Fucks.