and now the DRUMS- favorite thread!

Bill Bruford tops the list in Rock for me.

Mr. H has a very fine list. I'd add Trilok Gurtu in there as well, Mike. I saw him play with McLaughlin and I was STUNNED.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ all of the above, minus Grohl

Glenn Kotche

Bill Kreutzmann

Mickey Hart

i'm not a Foo's fan, but Grohl is a great drummer.  has his own sound despite any ridiculous production effects put on it.  if there ever was another Zep reunion show, I'd love to see him sit in.

My favs:

Brian Blade

Bill Bruford

Neil Peart

Mike Mangini

Mike Portnoy

Did I say Georgia Hubley?

Did anyone say Georgia Hubley?

It shoulda happened.

Brian Blade

Yeah, this guy is astonishing.

I'd add Trilok Gurtu in there as well, Mike. I saw him play with McLaughlin and I was STUNNED.

I saw him with Mclaughlin, too.  Must've been 1990, or so.  Very unorthodox playing style.  I had forgotten about him, but I'll keep an eye out for thigns he plays on. 

Keith Carlock absolutely blew me away when I saw him playing with Steely Dan last year.  One of the best all round drum performances I've seen.  His playing was inspired throughout - but most especially on Aja where he totally nails the famous Steve Gadd drum fills towards the end of the song:

• 2 weeks later...

if there ever was another Zep reunion show, I'd love to see him sit in.

Gotta be Bonham and if not him and we can dream...Steve Gorman. Grohl is pretty great(especially with QOTSA and Them Crooked Vultures) but has been kinda embarrassing with his recent takes on Zeppelin.

Bonham

Peart

Carey

Kotche

Steve Gorman(Black Crowes)

Jimmy Chamberlain

Patrick Hallahan

• 1 month later...

Spiky interview with Ginger Baker in advance of new film. Apparently these are the good bits without the stony silences and one word answers http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2013/may/15/beware-mr-baker-qa-ginger-baker-video

What a horrible person.  The laughing fan-boys in the audience do themselves no favors - although some of it may be nervous laughter.

These lists always try to be somewhat inclusive, and it just comes off really poorly. When was the last time Spin covered any jazz or experimental music? I am all for people like Corsano, Bennink or Baron getting some press, but ranking them where they landed is a fucking abomination. Yeah, Chad Smith or Sheila E or Mike Bordin are better.

Fuck off, Spin.

What a horrible person.  The laughing fan-boys in the audience do themselves no favors - although some of it may be nervous laughter.

Hell, I thought it was quite amusing. You guys ever see any of his interview stuff from the "Farewell Concert"? It's somewhat similar. Not everyone is Mr. Congeniality like Sir Paul. I kinda dig that he just doesn't give a fuck what anyone there thinks, and is brutally frank - "I did it for the money", etc. Kinda refreshing imo.