The Boys Opening for the Stones?

I kind of follow a Miltonian world view...it is better to headline in medium sized venues than open in a Stadium.

Rolling Stones fans won't immediately go out and become Wilco fans.

I read the same thing on the Steve Hoffman board, last week or so.

Must have missed that on the SHF...followed the Stones tour thread a little, but not closely (I'm on the fence about going myself & could only do the cheapest, $85 "lottery" tickets for this Summer anyhow)...interesting enough I also heard a rumor about Wilco being part of a triple bill involving another different individual artist for the great classic rock Olympus...promised the source not to say anything about it though...

I'd always rather see Wilco than not & opening for any other great act I dig would be cool...but...at this point I have to say there isn't a single act in the world right now where if Wilco were the opening act I wouldn't be saying I wish they were the headliner & the roles were reversed.

This would seem so weird to me, unless it was part of a festival where Wilco played the set just before the Stones. I just don't see Wilco as an opening act anymore. What would they do, play for 45 minutes or an hour? Why would they do that? Maybe as just a one off special event it could be cool. I guess it could expose them to a new audience. But still, I think it would be very unsatisfying for Wilco fans.

Because its the stones. They did a few shows for Neil young in 08 or 09.

I agree would rather see them play for 2+ hour with their own sound system but to open for the stones is once in a life is maybe why they would do it.

I actually love the Stones and have seen them many times over the years since the late sixties, so I totally get why they would get a kick out of playing a date or two as the warmup band. And there could be some great interactions--obviously, Nels sitting in with the Stones for a shredfest, and Mick could school Jeff in onstage strutting. And what a time to dust off the old Nudie suits! But I just hope if this happens it would be for at most a date or two,

But what do I know? Their instincts haven't steered them wrong yet. I'll try to have faith that they know what they're doing.

youre making it sound like the band's taking some huge risk here. they get to play with a band they all presumably love, make whats likely still a pretty hefty sum, and play to a bigger crowd than they usually would. seems like the ultimate win/win situation to me. obviously wilcos not in a position where they need to go on tours as an opener to expand their fanbase, but when the rolling stones call, can you really say no?

It's always kind of weird seeing Wilco open for anyone, even if it is the stones..  I guess its because I have seen them as headliners for so many years.. 

Like seeing the Wallflowers open for Clapton.  Those guys used to headline arena's in the 90's, and most people in the joint could have cared less about them. 

I doubt that the Stones pay their opening band much if anything. Why do we call a group of 50 year old men boys?

Here is a comment Jeff made about the show they opened in 2007:

Did you get autographs from the Stones when Wilco opened for them a few years back?
J Kelleher, New York

I don’t collect autographs – not since I got one from Joey Ramone when I was young. But yes, I did get some fantastic pictures of the Stones standing with my two kids, Spencer and Sam. There’s a priceless photo – my youngest son has a look of absolute terror on his face, being in that close proximity to Ron Wood!
Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/wilco/an-audience-with-wilco-s-jeff-tweedy-feature#BtywY02E8it5Cxzr.99

I remembered seeing this in 2005. The whole thing's a no brainer surely when this sort of thing can happen, plus they get free crazy price tickets ...

tweedystones_1.jpg

http://dannymiller.typepad.com/blog/2005/11/you_cant_always.html

I wish I could show you the rest of this photo. My brother-in-law opened for the Rolling Stones last month and before the show they took a photo of Wilco with the Stones. When they sent the photo to the band they strictly forbade any online posting. (I can’t imagine why, considering there are about a trillion pictures of the Stones floating around the Internet.) Since I don’t want to get my sister in trouble (although this might anyway), I’m just posting this small section of the photograph showing Jeff with my nephews Spencer and Sammy. The fact that it is Keith Richards leaning on Spencer must send his C. Q. (cool quotient) permanently into the stratosphere. Especially since, unlike most nine year olds, Spencer actually knows and appreciates who Keith Richards is! Richards will turn 63 in a few weeks and while I used to think he looked quite ravaged, now that he’s older it works and he looks great.The best part of this photo, though, is the look of shock and wonder on six-year-old Sammy’s face as he gazes at Ron Wood.

Dylan does the same thing. Usually younger up and coming bands who can't necessarily fill a stadium or arena but can hold their on in mid-size venues. 

The boys aren't a 'younger up and coming band'.

They are a dynamic, mature band that has found its audience and niche in the music world. The future for them does not hold selling  out stadiums. The future for this band is to continue to be the best working America band heading toward being the greatest American band.

[quote name=Carlton Your Doorman" post="1524128" time="1366325365]I remembered seeing this in 2005. The whole thing's a no brainer surely when this sort of thing can happen, plus they get free tickets ...http://dannymiller.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/tweedystones_1.jpg]http://dannymiller.typepad.com/blog/2005/11/you_cant_always.html Oh hell yes! Seriously, now that this notion has had time to settle in, I'm hoping like mad that this does happen again. Gotta see the Stones one more time before they pack it in, and what better way than with Wilco opening? :banana A girl's entitled to change her mind! 

"The Boys"

Well...they all have a y chromosome (at least one), there are multiple members and they are younger than I am.

I would call you a boy too, but your avatar intimidates me.

The boys aren't a 'younger up and coming band'.

They are a dynamic, mature band that has found its audience and niche in the music world. The future for them does not hold selling  out stadiums. The future for this band is to continue to be the best working America band heading toward being the greatest American band.

I think up and coming was a poor choice of words. I meant bands that can fill mid size venues but could still benefit from higher profile gigs. The Racontuers, Kings of Leon, Dawes, etc. are or have opened for Dylan at one time or another.