A Song for Lotti

Finally Facing Their Waterloo  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which Abba song should Wilco cover at Solid Sound 3?

• Dancing Queen
    • Fernando (perhaps as "Fernanda"?)
    • Waterloo
    • Take a Chance On Me

With who as the bride?!?

It's looking like a pretty clear sweep for Waterloo, currently with 21 votes.  The next closest contenders are Dancing Queen with 6 and those would-be write-ins for SOS would be about 5. I'm surprised Fernando got only 2 votes...I could really see Wilco rocking that soaring tune!

I have heard from Lotti and she is thrilled with your support of the Abba. She would respond personally but is currently herding reindeer on the high plateau, where " the nights are very short and the days full of schnapps breaks and sleigh accidents (not entirely unrelated)". Truly she is living the good life.

Ok, then, I'm declaring Waterloo our winner. Now comes the most important step in our journey. In order to make Wilco covering Abba a reality, you must submit this song to Wilco at:

http://solidsoundfestival.com/song-request/

Go! Do it now! Submit! Please only request Waterloo, and no other Abba song, since doing so would only weaken our chances of getting a song played for Lotti! We want as many requests as possible for Waterloo, to ensure its inclusion in Friday night's set. Won't it be a proud moment for all of us when we are standing in that festival crowd and we hear the world's best band begin the opening strains of Waterloo!!! Schnapps for everybody who submits this song! Also possibly hunks of reindeer haunch!

Do it NOW! SUBMIT "Waterloo"!

Edit: I have submitted. Join me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, Wilco's really figured out how to prevent ballot box stuffing. I submitted my request for Marquee Moon days ago, and I can't submit another on my laptop, iPad or smartphone. I was able to vote a second time using my work computer, but I had already used up that account for Marquee Moon too. Because Lotti is SOOOO special, though, I'm going to force my coworkers to log on and cast a vote for Waterloo. It's the least I can do. ('Cause I'm not going to drive all over town going to public libraries!)

That's the spirit! :)

Let's hear from those of you submitting Waterloo. Lotti raises a toast of the peppermint schnapps to you. Or maybe it isn't specifically to you, but because schnapps thins the blood, thus making Lotti better able to withstand those low, low temps in reindeer-herding regions. Your guess is as good as mine. But hey, peppermint schnapps!

i'm equally coc& blocked from drinking from the chalice that is "waterloo re-vote"

though i'mgiving strong consideration to rallying some troops from work Come Monday.

Done for Waterloo.

Even though I won't be attending SS, it was nice to contribute in some small way.

I do, though, take solace in knowing that in some parallel universe I'm already there, front and center, hearing Waterloo and having a blast.

I second this

i'm equally coc& blocked from drinking from the chalice that is "waterloo re-vote"

though i'mgiving strong consideration to rallying some troops from work Come Monday.

Rally the troops! Extra schnapps for the troop-rallyers! 

Done for Waterloo.

Even though I won't be attending SS, it was nice to contribute in some small way.

I do, though, take solace in knowing that in some parallel universe I'm already there, front and center, hearing Waterloo and having a blast.

I second this

There are bound to be recordings, ladies. I'll make sure you each get to hear this, should it occur. :thumbup You will both be with us in spirit.

I came across this old post from Lotti, from last August:

"Dear Mr Jeff Tweedy,

I thank you for demonstration of ways of the Abba on past year. I have taken great pleasure from your Love Whole. Mr Pat also absorb teachings in sound quality - Lofty Place is just like Polar Studios of olden good days! But, we all know it - Ha! Ha! No doubt you give him the big hints in this direction!

So, have good schnapps breakfast as in our custom, and meaty feast later in style of Mr George Forman, as in habit of your country. Then it is time for the Abba party!

I hope to start your balls rolling in this event with super tune in live version. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4V6o7q6ko

This has also fierce cape idea for full pop impact - see how it is a compliment to the acoustical guitar in contrast style of old and new! This is idea for you to follow for sure Mr Jeff Tweedy. Also I would recommend some sequin for hat that has your fondness in recent months. This is piece of your pop jigsaw that is missing. I do not want you to be a grandmother being told that she must suck the eggs, as we say in Sweden, but you know it has full sense.

Welfare!"

That last paragraph has me thinking....if the bank does do Waterloo, wouldn't it be just that much better if they all wore capes? Maybe something satiny? :yes And a few sequins could only brighten the scene. Sue Tweedy, you wouldn't mind sewing a few sequins on Jeff's jeans, would you? Or you could glue some to his hat and shoes....

C'mon really?  Dancing queen may be the obvious answer but that's because it's the obvious answer!

Hell, if it's good enough for Robbie Fulks to cover with little or no irony, it's good enough for the best band in America to give it whirl.

I work at a public library. I  can go around and cast a Waterloo vote from all the public computers!  Will devote myself to this task on Monday...

** Must admit I agree with Moss that Dancing Queen is the choicest song to cover, but I'm working on being a team player.  Waterloo for Lotti it is!

I work at a public library. I  can go around and cast a Waterloo vote from all the public computers!  Will devote myself to this task on Monday...

Foiled!  I got one request for Waterloo in, but when I scooted over to the next computer, it wouldn't let me make it again.  I got busted!  I guess the public computers are networked together on the same router or something.  Oh well. 

Fingers crossed for Lotti's song on Friday night!

Friends, I have a bumpy goose at your having me bare in your mind and with commitment to cause of the Abba! But it is least we can do for their uplift change to our lives no? I return from high plateau now after herding event. Thanking to those who sent a wish - nose is much healed now!

I have news of sneaky peek at progress of Mr Jeff Tweedy in preparation to make the shiny spectacle for Solid Sounding event. This is fine research by secret contact who wishes to remain unanimous! But now for sorry tale - in truth it is poor effort so far! Wilco boys need to make a round rally to make a pull off of this event. We do not want shame to the memory of the Abba in this way!

jeffsparkler.JPG

In fierce outburst mood for correction I make the snot in PM to Mr Jeff Tweedy. Afterwards I need pine for the sooth of my rankle. It is not in Swedish style to be a blunt, but I tell him this in honest spirit for own good. Surely he appreciate in this manner as he has favourite song of rule for life in Cruel To Be Kind. This sparkle is feeble effort and beloved Mr Stig will have a grave spin at this sight. Where is sequin overload? Mr Jeff Tweedy has no response so far. I think he sit in corner like the husky who has sudden place of now number two favourite husky on arrival of new young pretty one to pack. But I have faith he can make a buck up and there will be boots party! Believe!

I also make present of research on nude topic. This has problem for the childs on the Google, so I will make direct results here to avoid the embarassment - though in Sweden we never have fear of the birthday suit! You are strange bunch ha! ha! You see influence of the Abba on feline dress style of Mr Jeff Tweedy. It is subtle winky nod to this factor. We admire!

nudie-korean-cat.jpgABBA+suit+cats.jpg

In final plea lesson to Mr Jeff Tweedy I give template demonstration of the sparkle for the mimic in decent approach. And also remind to have the cape as Lady Kidsmoke suggest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2ZXY3ccQs

Press stop! Final PM from member of this board site! Here is prime example of origin of dance of Hummingbird interlude. It is plain sight for sure. I make an applaud for this effort of research!

abba-albums-and-song-lists-to-albums.jpe

Welfare!

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, I make late surface today after Eurovision party! I hope you have similar enjoy! But there was twice wham to suffer for sure - not alone is Sweden not in triumph mode, but it is Danish who have the victory! What is this blaspheme? Plenty schnapps was needed in village. I think of those who are making a mass mock in next month and as soon as head spin is calm I send special PM to Mr Jeff Tweedy. I make the urge to ignore this result in case he has fierce study of this music event in preparation for big boots party of Abba coverage. This is not style for imitation Mr Jeff Tweedy!  I make a warning! What is this nonsense of Danish? What decent has come from that land since the Ugly Duck and the Thumb Girl? But friends, I receive answer and it is like in words of song - Mr Jeff Tweedy say not to have the full fear, for he is enough of the Abba to recognise this poor style. He drops his hint to say that like we all he already is making preparation for special 40 anniversary of the Abba next year! This is the reassure news for sure, no? So we can be in safe spirit and not buttoning the panic. I had thought that desperate friends here would find the sooth in this infos.

I leave you with pic of Mr Jeff Tweedy in dreaming mode of The Eagle song (though in truth this is timid roped falcon and not the fine hunting eagle going anywhere he please on breeze, but I make allowances for your country deficiency.)

tweedy-hawk-nelson.jpg

P.S. However, I appreciate walrus skin glove of winter style, even if there is missing sequin.

Welfare!

This is excellent news, Lotti, and I for one feel much reassured.

Did he say whether they're bringing their own sequined boots and capes, or do we need to bring supplies? Surely they won't balk, having proudly worn the Nudie suits in the past!