His was a sound that launched a million trips. A very essential part of my childhood. I LOVED that band. RIP, Ray.

The print article on Ray in the Chicago Tribune today (not the one on the website) had information about him that I did not know; that he grew up on Chicago's South Side, went to St. Rita's High School (which was a boys school despite the name) and listened to Chicago blues on the radio and attended concerts of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The Doors are so closely identified with LA that I never gave it any thought as to where he might really be from.  So I guess he can be counted in the pantheon of Chicago musical greats.

As I said on Facebook yesterday that the Doors could be the most maligned rock group after the Eagles and that they were cool in the day, but lost their cachet through too much airplay.  I also had no idea the guy battled cancer for years.  But the Doors music certainly was a large part of my youth and their records some of the first I owned.  

One doesn't need to be into the Doors to understand what an important band this was.  Legions of frontmen and front women (Patti Smith for example) took their swagger from Jim Morrison and the cutting electronic sound of Ray's organ playing fueled additional legions of rock keyboard players. 

LouieB

My father introduced me to The Doors. They were his favorite group, among Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, Hendrix -- all the pillars classic rock. I was blown away by their sound -- the organ, in particular -- from the start. I remember driving with my dad listening to "Riders on the Storm," "LA Woman" and many other Doors tracks, watching him play air-keyboard and air-organ solos. To this day, I can still sing/hum/vocalize along with Manzarek's solos note-for-note and play those same solos with my hands.

I just introduced my son to the Doors last Saturday...he was digging it. He plays piano and liked how Ray played the bass line with his left hand while using the right one for the melody. RIP Ray!

This is a nice interview with Ray:

Thanks for posting, man. I can't believe I never heard Trane in the middle section there but there it is!

I am "friends" on Facebook with a certain person who was in Jim's life that Ray often dismissed. She posted something positive about him when she learned of his passing. I thought that was pretty cool.

I can remember listening to the keyboard solo on "Light My Fire" during long car trips with my family as a kid... My sisters complaining the whole time, while I'm smiling, head bobbing... RIP, Ray.. 

I am "friends" on Facebook with a certain person who was in Jim's life that Ray often dismissed. She posted something positive about him when she learned of his passing. I thought that was pretty cool.

Who's the person?

In grade and high school, I use to listen to the Doors a ton - not so much anymore. Didn't realize he had cancer.