Am I the last to know that The Replacements are playing shows?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I saw Paul (at the Phoenix, solo, circa Come Feel Me Tremble), he opened with Alex Chilton. If I were the 'Mats playing their first show since 1991 I'd do the same I think. Either that or an early classic like Color Me Impressed , or Takin A Ride. But Alex Chilton would work on so many levels. Can hardly believe this is happening, there's so much time for things to go wrong....but I got my ticket plus an extra at the earliest bird cheapest price, anyone looking to travel to Toronto for the FIRST REPLACEMENTS SHOW SINCE 1991 (!!!!!!!!!!), I got room for at least one, maybe 2 more here at the lighthouse, come on up! This is gonna be awesome, I'm already bouncing off the walls. BEST NEWS EVER! 

So stoked to hear this news!  Now I need to decide which one to go to... before the tix sell out.

I doubt Mars is involved at all (but I'll be thrilled if that's wrong) and Slim is still bed-ridden so there's no way he's playing.  

Paul & Tommy + whoever they want for drums & guitar is perfectly fine w/ me.

So I guess that historic last show that I was at in 1991 is no longer their last show.

Still great to hear.

And the EP was great. Hoping that they will continue to record together for a while.

Damn. Only 3 day passes available. But, I know with the Mats announcement, shit will sell out...

You really think the Mats are a big draw.  What is the biggest shows they ever did?

I compare them to VU in the sense that they really never got to a wide audience....btw I love them both.

You really think the Mats are a big draw.  What is the biggest shows they ever did?

I compare them to VU in the sense that they really never got to a wide audience....btw I love them both.

I think there's a lot of Mats fans in their late 30s and older who have more disposable income now, and a hankering for nostalgia. 

Whatever tickets are left are most certainly being sold at a higher rate than they were the day before the Mats announcement. 

I think there's a lot of Mats fans in their late 30s and older who have more disposable income now, and a hankering for nostalgia. 

Whatever tickets are left are most certainly being sold at a higher rate than they were the day before the Mats announcement. 

yep.

cf. "Guided By Voices"

I want to think that but I think they have a very limited "hard core fan base".  

Do you think if they toured they would play anything above a theater (2,000-3,000k places)?

I want to think that but I think they have a very limited "hard core fan base".  

Do you think if they toured they would play anything above a theater (2,000-3,000k places)?

probably not - but touring, and getting together to play three festivals are completely different animals.

This can only mean that Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar, being largely inspired by The Replacements early in their careers, will finally bury the hatchet, call Mike Heidorn and get that Uncle Tupelo reunion going.

All that would be interesting but it won't happen for a few years. I just can't imagine Jeff Tweedy bothering to call the other two when he is running a world class band and production company.  Why bother.  Unlike Paul Westerberg, Jeff has a day job and a band and a UT reunion won't make nearly what keeping a healthy Wilco makes. 

LouieB

All that would be interesting but it won't happen for a few years. I just can't imagine Jeff Tweedy bothering to call the other two when he is running a world class band and production company.  Why bother.  Unlike Paul Westerberg, Jeff has a day job and a band and a UT reunion won't make nearly what keeping a healthy Wilco makes. 

LouieB

Oh, I agree 100%. Just some wishful [unrealistic] thinking.

It would be fun, but it also would be uncomfortable.  Reunions sometimes have weird edges.  With the Replacements, it is only two of the four original guys and now that Westerberg has gotten over whatever he had to get over after a few decades, it might work out, or it might not.

I can't even imagine Jeff taking a back seat to Jay Farrar at this point, not when he can lead one of the best bands in the world.  Doing the occasional one off (like Golden Smog, which he hasn't done in many years) is conceivable I suppose, but Uncle Tupelo would be a stretch.

LouieB