• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Frankie Lee and Judas Priest from Philly in 1987 (or Eugene, can't remember which for sure, they only played it twice) is ripping.  Its gets faster and faster and Dylan is really getting into it with the band cooking behind him like a good Cumberland Blues.

The newly revamped Jerry Garcia site is pretty cool  --- now I hope they get some of Pure Jerry cds that I don't have back in print, specifically the Jerry Garcia Band:
Bay Area 1978 release.

The newly revamped Jerry Garcia site is pretty cool  --- now I hope they get some of Pure Jerry cds that I don't have back in print, specifically the Jerry Garcia Band:

Bay Area 1978 release.

Definitely a much cooler site. Got the email this morning from them but usually ignore it because of the overpriced items. Lots of interewsting things to check out on the new site, though.....

That Dylan/Dead CD is actually terribly underrated IMO

You'll never hear any better live Dylan after that. There are some great versions of songs on there and even a Joey!

so it should be. they did 5 shows (?) and he picked the worst renditions of the songs from different shows to put on the CD. Try Anaheim or Philly as a complete show and its much better (well, in Zimmy tunes). there are better complete bootlegs from them all.. not a mix/mash!

I think the Dylan/Dead album is pretty weak, as was a lot of their collaboration together. Just an opinion, and all, and it was fun to see live but I avoid re-listens of their work together, for the most part. They always seemed a few steps apart to me on stage.....

Bay Area 1978 release.

Theater 1839, SF July '77? Recently got that as one of a 3 pack of Pure Jerry releases. Love it.

Theater 1839, SF July '77? Recently got that as one of a 3 pack of Pure Jerry releases. Love it.

I do have that one, just not the Bay Area 1978 discs and the Marin Veterans Memorial Auditorium, February 28, 1986 show, which i am not too bummed about not having, anyway.

Both happen to be the last in the series, too.

I remember buying the Warner 1978 show and thinking I would buy the other 78 show in month or two (trying to be responsible and budget these things - stupid me) and it went out of print shortly there after.

I think the Dylan/Dead album is pretty weak, as was a lot of their collaboration together. Just an opinion, and all, and it was fun to see live but I avoid re-listens of their work together, for the most part. They always seemed a few steps apart to me on stage.....

And you would be absolutely correct, imo. Not Dylan's best period.

I read a bio recently, "Down The Highway", where it said at some point Bob phoned the San Rafael office, wanting to become a full-time member of the band. Which was nixed (according to Weir) by Phil. Thank you, Phil. LOL

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/furthur-paradise-waits

stream of tonight's furthur show.

i'm bummed they're taking this year off.  i'm actually in the mood to see them and think they've really gotten so good.  JK fits right in.  i can't imagine why they'd not do at least one tour this year.  is ratdog or phil and friends really more satisfying?  i'd think that being in a seasoned band, at least at their age, would be the funnest and easiest thing to do.  i'm thinking about going to ratdog in atlanta.  i know i'll probably regret it by the second song :-)

And you would be absolutely correct, imo. Not Dylan's best period.

I read a bio recently, "Down The Highway", where it said at some point Bob phoned the San Rafael office, wanting to become a full-time member of the band. Which was nixed (according to Weir) by Phil. Thank you, Phil. LOL

i never heard that!  crazy!  i love the dylan dead album cover.  i listen to it every few years only to realize, again, why i don't listen to it regularly.  i will say that the tune Silvio that the boys sang on from dylan's down in the groove album is great!

I'm looking forward to the Chicago Ratdog show --- I think the lineup looks great - the two bass players with Kimock.

Regarding the Dead/Dylan release - It was my introduction to Desire (Joey), so for that I enjoyed the cd - their version of Joey, together, was good.

I do want to see Kimock, though I'd love to see Jonathan Wilson with Ratdog.  That dude can really play, when he lets himself.  Ratdog is just so...damn...slow...

Co-written with Robert Hunter, too. Good tune.

right.

I do want to see Kimock, though I'd love to see Jonathan Wilson with Ratdog.  That dude can really play, when he lets himself.  Ratdog is just so...damn...slow...

right.

I'm thinking of going to Lockin Festival in September. Was not excited to see Ratdog added to the lineup.

DP 9:

We're kicking off Dave's Picks 2014 with a visit to the Wall Of Sound era. Dave's Picks Volume 9 features the complete show from May 14, 1974, at Adams Field House at the University of Montana in Missoula, the Grateful Dead's only appearance in the state of oro y plata. This monstrously hot show is the third official show of the Wall Of Sound, which had debuted in March 1974. Highlights run deep including the second performance of "Scarlet Begonias," a 22+ minute "Playing In The Band" that leans heavily on the band's jazz chops, and a second set jam of "Weather Report Suite>Dark Star" that contains some of the deepest jamming of 1974, and that's saying a heck of a lot! It also features one of only a handful of versions of "Dark Star" played in 1974, a song heading toward a long hiatus, and this one digs deep into some of the wildest spaces you'll ever hear. Rockers, ballads, and jams, 5/14/74 covers all the bases, with plenty of nuances to revel in, each and every listen. [recorded by Kid Candelerio]

Harry Adams Field House, University of Montana, Missoula, MT (5/14/74)

Disc 1
1. Bertha [6:15]
2. Me And My Uncle [3:15]
3. Loser [6:39]
4. Black-Throated Wind [6:52]
5. Scarlet Begonias> [7:21]
6. It Must Have Been The Roses [5:44]
7. Jack Straw [5:18]
8. Tennessee Jed [8:18]
9. Mexicali Blues [3:39]
10. Deal [4:46]

Disc 2
1. Big River [5:21]
2. Brown-Eyed Woman [5:13]
3. Playing In The Band [20:49]
4. U.S. Blues [5:48]
5. El Paso [4:44]
6. Row Jimmy [8:52]

Disc 3
1. Weather Report Suite [16:08]
Prelude [1:26]
Part I [4:32]
Part II (Let It Grow) [10:10]
2. Dark Star> [26:39]
3. China Doll [5:52]
4. Promised Land [3:46]
5. Not Fade Away> [6:15]
6. Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad [9:58]
7. One More Saturday Night [4:50]

well, that was 'deal' man.  it really didn't matter what tune the band played, they were all good.  it always warmed my heart that a rarity like Dire Wolf in the final years would get as much cheering as Minglewood. 

Nice "pick." I can't recall if I've even heard this show before or not. Not ringing a bell.

That's the great thing about the picks. I don't recall hearing this one either. I'm very familiar with the Pacific Northwest part of the tour later in the week but this one is under the radar for me.