^ me too, downloaded it yesterday from jerry site

today I'm marvelled with the 'He’s Gone > Gloria Jam > CC Rider' from 12/1/79, PA,...fabulous! 

that, pittsburgh show has a great vibe : that is one of my favorite jams ever!

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ me too, downloaded it yesterday from jerry site

today I'm marvelled with the 'He’s Gone > Gloria Jam > CC Rider' from 12/1/79, PA,...fabulous! 

i can't seem to find any download availability on jerry's site...?

Watching the Closing of the Winterland dvd again. Not a bad version of one tune on it. And, check Bob on Stagger Lee. He plays the slide just fine to accompany the tune, ya freaks.

I found the first two sets underwhelming, though I recall the band finding a nice groove in Fire. 3rd set is the best Dead video out there. Cosmic stuff. Jerry dosed to the gills singing the first verse of Dark Star staring straight into the camera. Love the transition back from Other One back into Dark Star, Bob leading the way. St. Stephen and Wharf Rat. Yes please. Awesome stuff. 

I found the first two sets underwhelming, though I recall the band finding a nice groove in Fire. 3rd set is the best Dead video out there. Cosmic stuff. Jerry dosed to the gills singing the first verse of Dark Star staring straight into the camera. Love the transition back from Other One back into Dark Star, Bob leading the way. St. Stephen and Wharf Rat. Yes please. Awesome stuff.

Thanks for the reminders. I know what I'll be watching late tonight.

Kills you as in its good, I hope.  What a great song, one of McCartney's under appreciated gems, I'd say.  I just ordered the Theater 1839 from the Garcia online store.  It says I'm getting in on CD for $20 but its on Amazon for $40 up to over $200?  I hope I'm getting CDs and not a download.  They did charge for shipping, so it should be physical discs.  That is weird.  Is it a bonus disc that makes the Amazon prices high?

Kills you as in its good, I hope.  What a great song, one of McCartney's under appreciated gems, I'd say.  I just ordered the Theater 1839 from the Garcia online store.  It says I'm getting in on CD for $20 but its on Amazon for $40 up to over $200?  I hope I'm getting CDs and not a download.  They did charge for shipping, so it should be physical discs.  That is weird.  Is it a bonus disc that makes the Amazon prices high?

Also on eBay. This and the other 2 shows I bought in the 3 show bundle are going for around $50 each on eBay. I guess cause they are out of print, can't be found new most places and maybe folks don't realize the Jerry site is still selling them?

ah, missed it.  of course i knew i had to pay :-)

i wish they'd put the pure jerry stuff up for download.  

incidentally, this bob/jerry set sounds like it's one of the best they've put out.  as others have said, the pure jerry and garcia live sets have been touch and go.  i still love that gacia band live release from 91 so much.  just perfect!

I forgot that I have the below - really have to be in the mood to listen to it, though, which is probably why I forgot I have it.

Definitely going to download the Garcia/Weir release, also I agree, I wish they would put the OOP stuff up for download.

Pure_Jerry_After_Midnight.jpg

After Midnight: Kean College, 2/28/80, Jerry Garcia Band, 2004

Watched Set 3 again last night.  It certainly is killer Dead.  So right about the transition back into DS, Bobby just laying that fat transition chord out there and everyone following.  Sweet.  And a killer Wharf Rat. Some of my best buddies from home were in attendance, have always been kicking myself I didn't join them.  Just wish the video was better quality, looks like it's the tv feed.

My all-time favorite GD dvd is still the extra bonus disc in the Grateful Dead Movie box.   Just them straight ahead ripping on those songs without all the movie bullshit.

Watched Set 3 again last night.  It certainly is killer Dead.  So right about the transition back into DS, Bobby just laying that fat transition chord out there and everyone following.  Sweet.  And a killer Wharf Rat. Some of my best buddies from home were in attendance, have always been kicking myself I didn't join them.  Just wish the video was better quality, looks like it's the tv feed.

My all-time favorite GD dvd is still the extra bonus disc in the Grateful Dead Movie box.   Just them straight ahead ripping on those songs without all the movie bullshit.

I remember reading at the time of the Winterland release, if they made video better - the audio would have suffered, at least that's what they were saying when people started to complain about the video feed.

That was the Bill's in house video feed (I think). You can find other examples of filmed concerts from his venues on Youtube. Although I guess Wolfgang's Vault owns all of it now. There is a Chicago concert from Tanglewood I like to watch.  I would think those shows were filmed on 16 mm film and then they changed over to videotape at some point. You can tell the difference of course.

That bonus disc is amazing too. I prefer 3rd set at Winterland though for the feel - energy in the crowd, band stoned, lighting, playing, set list. Unfortunately the GD Movie and bonus disc is kind of sterile in comparison - stage lights on the whole time, band relatively sober. Pretty sure the Closing of Winterland  video was from a PBS broadcast feed, and while the quality is not pristine, it just feels right - a middle of the night psychedelic haze that gives a sense of what it might've been like to be there. There are some camera angles that are incredibly hallucinatory, especially if you are on hallucinogens.  

i decided to check out some '93 shows over the last few days.  started at the beginning.  interestingly they did a run in oakland in both january and february of 93.  lucky west coast heads.  the sbds are interesting, but just so sterile.  it's almost like the band is not really playing together, but random parts tacked together.  everyone is a little off.  no one is really playing badly.  garcia is singing well and playing pretty good.  nothing amazing, but not fucking up.  just slow.  vince is just all over the place.  i put up with him seeing the band live, but he just doesn't fit.  of course, bob is doing all that goofy distorted rhythm stuff.

anyway, there were some gems that year that i have yet to revisit.  i remember the chapel hill shows being really good.  airy and good humored, not so stuffy like the afformentioned tunes.  i really wish they'd take some time and find some usable tunes from the last 4 years, edit them a bit and mix them a la Without a Net.  i guess they'll get there when the well runs dry.

That bonus disc is amazing too. I prefer 3rd set at Winterland though for the feel - energy in the crowd, band stoned, lighting, playing, set list. Unfortunately the GD Movie and bonus disc is kind of sterile in comparison - stage lights on the whole time, band relatively sober. Pretty sure the Closing of Winterland  video was from a PBS broadcast feed, and while the quality is not pristine, it just feels right - a middle of the night psychedelic haze that gives a sense of what it might've been like to be there. There are some camera angles that are incredibly hallucinatory, especially if you are on hallucinogens.  

All (well almost all) that the 3rd set of Winterland is missing is that blonde gal twirling on the stage! :dancing

Can't help but wonder where pole guy is today.

Hopefully no longer displaying his pole in public.

Been listening to the Long Island Sound set in the car as I drive around the past few days, and I must say I am very glad I got to see the 9/5 show instead of 9/6. The 9/5 show sounds better to my ears overall in terms of energy, Jerry's voice, etc. Also, I like those old classics like How Sweet It Is and I Second That Emotion, but it's a bit too much of a good thing. I prefer the Jerry solo tunes, like Cats Under the Stars and Mission in the Rain. Sure wish I could have seen him solo more than that one show, but it was a good one.