How do you guys get your shows, if don't use torrent - do you use the archive or do you just stream shows. Does anybody still trade or B&P? I have, somewhat recently, participated in some Vines with Allman Brothers' stuff, which was kinda fun, I guess.

It did take me a few tries to get the hang of it. Etree is the best, because you don't have to worry about ratio's.

I have over 800 tapes and probably 600 discs of shows (many gotten when archive and other sources allowed ((or, pre-WB when GD still allowed it)) downloading sbds of shows). I also have a pal who gave me several hundred (3-4?) shows via digital that he got from BT sources that I have on my iPod. Not hurting for shows but would love to be able to get and file permanently shows easily and quickly that I don't have.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you guys get your shows, if don't use torrent - do you use the archive or do you just stream shows. Does anybody still trade or B&P? I have, somewhat recently, participated in some Vines with Allman Brothers' stuff, which was kinda fun, I guess.

It did take me a few tries to get the hang of it. Etree is the best, because you don't have to worry about ratio's.

I had someone teach me BT here - about ten years ago (I think). Besides that show I snagged yesterday - I don't really grab GD shows anymore. If I want to hear something I don't have - I just stream it at Archive.org. I don't think I would be willing to do B&P or anything like that anymore. About the only shows I grab are Wilco and Wilco related. I don't really listen to those shows much. I just grab them for the Wilco archive. And it bums me out that people seem to want to post all those at Dime a Dozen. But I guess that is the way it goes.

Speaking of GD shows. I still have not received that acoustic show I ordered. I suppose I may have to make some calls if it is not in my mailbox today.

I had not uploaded a show in so long - that I forgot how to to do it a while back. There use to be a great site out there with screenshots/text of each step. I don't know if it is still around or not.

Speaking of BT, I read the other day that Winamp is closing down in a couple of weeks. That is what I have always used to listen to FLAC/SHN files.

I have tried to use BT a couple times, and it simply didn't work on my iMac. When I opened it to use it (or opened the torrent I had downloaded, I forget which), all it gave me was a bunch of indecipherable computerese gobbledygook. I tried it twice before saying, Screw this.

There are plenty of cool music sites that offer music in folders that can be downloaded from Filefactory, Mediafire, Rapidshare, etc. Many of the ones I have used offer the files in FLAC, and include art work, etc. Others are mp3. I know some folks are audiophiles, in the sense that they won't touch mp3, but I can't hear any discernible difference, and I still have 95% of my hearing, so I'm not deaf.

There is a site I have bookmarked at home that has a fair amount of Dead soundboards...more than I will ever download. They're in mp3 format. I'll have to remember to list it here, or anyone can just PM me later if they want it. I'll be out tonight, but home tomorrow.

I won't mess with those type of sites anymore either - Mediafire, etc. For now, I am sticking to BT and FTP. I don't know anything about Drop boxes. I have not messed with those yet.

You can direct download files (MP3/FLAC) from Archive.org.

nugs.net free stash is a good place to get a few shows for those that don't/can't bit torrent or want to do the file sharing websites.  mp3s, though.     

http://stash.nugs.net/stash.asp?cmd=shows&artist=1

They have some classic stuff from May 1977, October 1978 and June 1974.  That 6-16-74 is a howler, as most of you already know.  I'd say its a contender for one of the best versions of Truckin' with a hot jam afterwards.

I had someone teach me BT here - about ten years ago (I think). Besides that show I snagged yesterday - I don't really grab GD shows anymore. If I want to hear something I don't have - I just stream it at Archive.org. I don't think I would be willing to do B&P or anything like that anymore. About the only shows I grab are Wilco and Wilco related. I don't really listen to those shows much. I just grab them for the Wilco archive. And it bums me out that people seem to want to post all those at Dime a Dozen. But I guess that is the way it goes.

Speaking of GD shows. I still have not received that acoustic show I ordered. I suppose I may have to make some calls if it is not in my mailbox today.

I got mine on Tuesday. Normally I'll get an email saying the discs have been shipped but not this time. I'd call 'em, man. It IS a fun listen.

I was looking at the dead.net help page yesterday. I think it stated on there one should wait 7-10 days before calling. I think today makes 8 days. Plus there was the holiday weekend. I think I will wait till at least tomorrow and then call if I don't get it.

I got mine on Tuesday. Normally I'll get an email saying the discs have been shipped but not this time. I'd call 'em, man. It IS a fun listen.

It was in the mail when I got home. It's funny to hear them giving Bear hell.

a lot of flac and mp3 soundboards at http://www.ousterhout.net/

It was in the mail when I got home. It's funny to hear them giving Bear hell.

"GODDAMN, Bear get on it!"

Really for me the 20 minute PigFest at the end of the disc made it worth the money.

Thanks for posting this! In addition to some great Dead shows, this guy's site also has some rare Phil Ochs & Bruce Cockburn shows I didn't already have, which is amazing. What a find.

You’re welcome Mr Heartbreak! Being a foreigner head and with little money and no contacts in the tape trading deadhead community back in the day I find myself in heaven today in the internet where you can grab, legally or not, almost anything the Dead played...I try to compensate the boys by buying some of their recent releases (DPs, JGB, Sunshine dream) but it’s too risky and expensive...I payed an additional $20 for DP8 due to import taxes (something dead.com said they would try to fix, though I am not sure it’s their fault).

It’s been one complete year now with the Dead in daily rotation. Enjoying almost all periods (well, I approach Brent’s period with apprehension) but for me nothing beats the line-up with Keith at the keyboards (except, if a little intoxicated, maybe ‘primal dead’).

Huge thanks to all folks here for all the suggestions on the best shows!

im only sleeping you are missing out BIG TIME if you don't listen to Brent Dead.

If you want to get an idea of what they were all about try the album Without a Net. PERFECTION

Or anything from Spring or Summer 1990. Actually most anything from 88,89 and 90 is as good as it gets.

im only sleeping you are missing out BIG TIME if you don't listen to Brent Dead.

If you want to get an idea of what they were all about try the album Without a Net. PERFECTION

Or anything from Spring or Summer 1990. Actually most anything from 88,89 and 90 is as good as it gets.

Thank you IRDB...in fact, it's Brent singing what drives me off  - as Clive Davis would say 'not enough dead' (he sings more in tune than the rest though). Can anyone recommend shows where Brent keyboard work really shines?

Can anyone recommend shows where Brent keyboard work really shines?

I would say try 5/1/81 or 10/9/82. Both are pretty great shows, and don't feature any Brent solo tunes.

https://archive.org/details/gd82-10-09.sbd.samaritano.23730.sbeok.shnf

https://archive.org/details/gd1981-05-01.sbd.miller.107437.flac16

Someone who knows more about me than these things wrote "He is using a 'Dynoed' Rhodes piano (see http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/dyno.php for details), a Moog synth, and B-3 organ, with occasional Clavinet thrown in" on the 5/1/81 show.

Any of you guys have the Dead & Dylan "Club Front" rehearsals? Damn, those are some fun recordings. Stealin' with a banjo?? I've been digging into these for the first time over the last couple weeks, and really enjoying them.

Thank you IRDB...in fact, it's Brent singing what drives me off  - as Clive Davis would say 'not enough dead' (he sings more in tune than the rest though). Can anyone recommend shows where Brent keyboard work really shines?

https://archive.org/details/gd1979-10-25.sbd-set2.goodwin.4627.sbefail.shnf

Try this show, 10/25/79 New Haven, for some really funky keyboard sounds from Brent early in his tenure.  This is my favorite Shakedown Street ever and a lot of it has to do with what Brent is playing and how he is interacting musically with the rest of the band.