Has anyone else gotten to the Family Dog release yet? The Pigpen tracks are actually kind of monotonous, but the whole thing does sound great. I love the first half of it, and the real revelation is Candyman. For some reason, the famous Harpur College version was aborted after about a minute and a half, but this is a full-length version from just a month earlier, and it's really, really good. I dig this release much more than any of the Dave's Picks series. Very worthwhile effort, and kudos to Mountain Girl for digging it out of her closet. :lol

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Jerry would have gotten clean in that rehab shithole he was in and was still alive today?!

A clean Jerry would be like a clean Trey Anastasio. Friggin top of the line every single night! It really would have been something to behold.

I dig what you're saying - kind of. Except Jerry is 22 years older than Trey. Jerry - comatose at the age of 43. Trey - busted for drugs at age 42. Jerry came back, within 3 years was playing with FIRE again. Trey - after his bust was playing like a demon 3 years later when Phish reunited. So, lots of similarities.

Let's see where Trey is at at age 53. Life is a long road. And Jer would be 71 now. Hard to say where his chops would be at this point.

I just ordered it yesterday. According to a RS interview with David, there is a great 1971 show among the tapes they received from MG.

I wonder which one? '71 is a VERY pivotal year. The early Keith Era was nicely documented on a recent Dave's. I would hope it might be April - which imo is the peak of Pig's powers.

40 years ago today in Grateful Dead history, a real keeper, the second night of a 2 night run in Denver.  Both nights are fantastic.  Played the second set of 11-21 on the GD channel "Today in GD History" show.  Catch the 7:00 p.m. replay if you missed it this morning.  November '73 was a memorable month in GD music.  The Winterland '73 box is "must have."  These 2 nights in Denver are off the hook.  The 11-21 show was released as a Road Trips. Interesting, Lemieux said this morning that the Road Trips series did not sell.  A couple of years ago Hidden Track released a compilation of these 2 nights in Denver as part of their Steel Oats series, "Mile High in Denver."  I can put it in my Dropbox if anyone is interested, just message me your email.

40 years ago today in Grateful Dead history, a real keeper, the second night of a 2 night run in Denver.  Both nights are fantastic.  Played the second set of 11-21 on the GD channel "Today in GD History" show.  Catch the 7:00 p.m. replay if you missed it this morning.  November '73 was a memorable month in GD music.  The Winterland '73 box is "must have."  These 2 nights in Denver are off the hook.  The 11-21 show was released as a Road Trips. Interesting, Lemieux said this morning that the Road Trips series did not sell.  A couple of years ago Hidden Track released a compilation of these 2 nights in Denver as part of their Steel Oats series, "Mile High in Denver."  I can put it in my Dropbox if anyone is interested, just message me your email.

I'm listening to the 11/21/85 show - great solo by Garcia during Wharf Rat -- Big Boy Pete opener and a Walkin' The Dog encore. Pretty solid show through out.

Those '73 Denver shows are dynamite.Never knew they were official releases. I have both on my iPod in excellent sbd sound but wondering if the official release is better?

Listening to the Mile High in '73 compilation, the audio is excellent.  Somehow missed this Road Trips release.  More proof why '73 is my favorite year.

http://www.dead.net/road-trips/road-trips-vol-4-no-3

I know I've said this before but from Oct through the end of the year (1973) is my favorite GD tour ever. 

I was watching the video he put out for the 2014 DP Series a few minutes ago. He mentions 69/70/71 towards the end of the video. I say that is probably a good thing.

Indeed.

Here are all the Road Trip releases:

Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 1: Fall 1979

Performances from the Grateful Dead tour in the Fall of 1979.

Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 2: October 1977

Tracks from the Grateful Dead tour in October 1977 through Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana.

Road Trips Vol.1, Number 3: Summer  1971

Selected songs from the Grateful Dead shows in New Haven on July 31, 1971 and Chicago on August 23, 1971.

Road Trips: Vol 1, Number 4: Winterland 1978

Highlights from the Grateful Dead shows at Winterland on October 21 and 22, 1978.

Road Trips: Vol 2, Number 1: Madison Square Garden: September 1990

Performances from the run of Grateful Dead shows at Madison Square Gardens in September 1990.

Road Trips: Vol 2, Number 2: February 14, 1968, Carousel Ballroom

Tracks from the Grateful Dead show at the Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco on February 14, 1968.

Road Trips: Vol 2, Number 3: June 1974: Wall of Sound

Selected songs from Grateful Dead shows at Des Moines, IA on June 16, 1974 and Louisville, KY on June 18, 1974.

Road Trips Vol. 2, Number 4:  Cal Expo 1993

Highlights from the Grateful Dead shows at Cal Expo Amphitheatre, Sacramento on May 26 & 27, 1993.

Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 1: Oakland, December 28, 1979

The complete Grateful Dead show at the Oakland Auditorium on December 28, 1979.

Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 2: Austin, November 15, 1971

The complete Grateful Dead show at the Austin Municipal Auditorium on November 15, 1971.

Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 3: Fillmore East, May 15, 1970

The Grateful Dead early and late shows at the Fillmore East in New York City on May 15, 1970.

Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 4: Penn State/Cornell, 1980

Selected songs from the May 6, 1980 Penn State show and the May 7, 1980 Cornell show.

Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 1: Big Rock Pow Wow 1969

The Grateful Dead sets from May 23 and May 24, 1969 at the Big Rock Pow Wow at Seminole Indian Reservation in Hollywood, Florida.

Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 2: April Fool's 1988

The Grateful Dead show from Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford on April 1, 1988, plus music from the March 31, 1988 show.

Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 3: Denver 1973

The Grateful Dead show from Denver on November 21, 1973, plus 3 songs from the November 20, 1973 show.

Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 4: Spectrum April 6, 1982

The Grateful Dead show from Philadelphia on April 6, 1982, plus additional songs from the April 5, 1982 show.

Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 5: Boston Music Hall, June 9, 1976

The Grateful Dead show from Boston Music Hall on June 9, 1976, plus additional songs from the June 12, 1976 Boston show.

Road Trips Download: Philadelphia, Nov 5, 1979

A digital download of the complete November 5, 1979 show from the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

Road Trips Download: Philadelphia, Nov 6, 1979

A digital download of the complete November 6, 1979 show from the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

I seem to recall bonus discs with these releases. I can't hardly believe people are asking 200 hundred bucks for these on Amazon. That shit is crazy.

Whatever the market will bear. I just got my money back by selling my Dave's Picks Vol. 8. Gotta list them soon after they sell out on dead.net, or they will likely not sell (on Amazon) any time soon.

By the way, I totally get being ticked about Road Trips releases, especially if you were at that show. One of the reasons I'm so psyched about the upcoming Long Island Sound Jerry release is that I was not only at that show, it was also the only time I saw Jerry solo. Overall, however, I think I agree with this guy.

http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2008/07/22/road-trips-vol-1-no-3-summer-71-grateful-dead

Pleasing the vast array of Deadheads with a live CD release is no simple task. They are an opinionated, not to mention fairly knowledgeable lot, and when something is not to their liking, they are quick to cry foul. When the beloved Dick’s Picks series ground to a halt after 36 releases and was replaced by the Road Trips series, there were some unhappy campers. In particular, the completists had no desire to own these compilations of the best offerings from certain runs of shows. However, a little time has passed, and as iPods and similar mobile music devices have swept through the marketplace, people have become somewhat conditioned to listening to individual tracks rather than complete albums or entire recordings of concerts. Moreover, Deadheads have begun to accept the fact that there are some stellar moments in mediocre shows or technically uneven recordings in the vault that deserve to see the light of day.

I don't think I could ever do that. I'd be more inclined to just give away cds I didn't want.

I am not a big Amazon seller, but if I buy something and choose to resell it, I typically try to list it at a competitive price. I won't sell at a loss, but it is rare to actually make a real profit on there. Typically, you're just getting back part of your original cost.

Now, eBay is something else...getting people to bid things up out of control. I am not big on that.

Michael Silver of the NFL Network just might be a deadhead.

Watching tonight's pregame, I had to rewind his piece on the Dolphins situation, stating, "In our world, the NFL, this space is getting hot."

confirmed: during NFL pregame piece tonight he referenced being a freshman at Cal U in 1983, and later in his intro stated:

talking about "Riverboat Ron", Carolina Coach Ron Rivera's new nickname, Silver said: Sometimes the cards ain't worth a dime, if you don't lay 'em down" with a fat smirk.

I officially love this this guy!!!

heres a perfect example of what I consider "clean" Jerry. I know he was in 89 and 90 for awhile but I think Brent dying hit him.

You  can just tell hes clean here and in a lot of 89 90 shows because his clothes are clean and his hair is washed and in a pony tail and/or clean and hes firing on all cylinders performing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhIVGQCeoaU

Just pulled decent seat for the Ratdog Chicago show. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Dave Ellis joins the line-up, like I heard that he will on the radio , but have not read about it as of yet.

Just pulled decent seat for the Ratdog Chicago show. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Dave Ellis joins the line-up, like I heard that he will on the radio , but have not read about it as of yet.

Nice! I wish they were coming back to Florida, I would totally go. Bob sounded great at the AmericanaramA shows. He's turned into a pretty credible blues singer, and he was working hard, really belting it out. Hopefully you'll get a Walking Blues or Smokestack Lightning or something to really show it.

Nice! I wish they were coming back to Florida, I would totally go. Bob sounded great at the AmericanaramA shows. He's turned into a pretty credible blues singer, and he was working hard, really belting it out. Hopefully you'll get a Walking Blues or Smokestack Lightning or something to really show it.

Its almost like Bobby feels compelled to play Lil Red Rooster or Walking Blues every single time he's in Chicago.