• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call on 6/28/92.  That was a great show.  The next night was horrible :-)  I'd love to get an official release of that.  As far as comps go, a Deercreek comp from the 90s would be cool.  They played well there until the end.  Also, how about a comp of tunes highlighting garcia's new guitar from the 90s.  It almost sounded acoustic at times.  Such a clean sound.  The Oregon show mentioned above is a good example.  A Fall 93 comp perhaps.

6-28-92

Set 1:
Help On The Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
Wang Dang Doodle
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
To Lay Me Down
El Paso
New Speedway Boogie
Smokestack Lightning

Set 2:
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Estimated Prophet
Long Way To Go Home
Drums
Space

Last Time
China Doll
Around And Around

Encore:
Casey Jones

Okay, here's a Dead-related live release I can get behind, and will be psyched to order and receive, even though it's "post-coma" Jerry. The only Jerry Garcia Band show I ever saw, 9/5/89, is being released on the 6-CD set Fall 1989: The Long Island Sound. Hmm, a 6-CD set for $35, sure beats a 3-CD set for $28! I loved the Weir/Wasserman set, too, so I'm looking forward to this (though I probably won't preorder from evil corporate overlords Wal-Mart. :lol)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32782065?adid=22222222227000000000&wl0&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=21486607510&wl4&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Weird because the Merriweather shows were already released (9.1/2.89) w/ Clarence. Those shows were smoking hot fun, too. The band was really on fire, as they were in early 90s, too (91-93). 

Oh, and if any of you still haven't, give the GD '93 Autzen show or whirl, at least the smoking 9 min Jack Straw-> smokin' 8 m in Bertha. A great Broken Arrow in that first set, too.

Probably worth getting for the 9.5.1989 don't let go...

Here are my notes for the 9.5.1989 Weir / Wasserman set:

The Weir Wasserman set was pretty interesting.  It was nice to hear Weir step outside of his comfort box and present some solo tunes.  On average, the set went from average to bad, but there were some real highlights (e.g., acoustic Victim Or The Crime, and a bit less so of the Throwin Stones).

1. Festival – cheesy Weir but somewhat catchy
2. Fever – again, cheesy, but well done
3. K.C. Moan – very interesting as it seemed Weir was truly exiting his Dead style here
4. Desolation Row> ok – but suffered from lack of flavor inbetween verses
5. Looks Like Rain – bland, done very similar to the Dead’s version, thus lacked elements
6. The Winners – not a great song upon first listen
7. Victim Or The Crime> Fantastic!  A real treat to hear acoustic and to only hear Weir’s influence
8. Bass Solo> not as impressed as I thought I’d be
9. Throwing Stones – pretty good but lacking Jerry presence

JGB 9.6.1989 second set exceptional...

Here are my notes from the WW 9.6.1989 set:

Weir’s set was not nearly as interesting as 9.5.1989.  Indeed, it was rather boring at points.  The Masterpiece was the highlight.  Check out Weir’s screaming during the Heaven finale – pretty strange. 

Walkin’ Blues – not bad; missing rest of band

Fever – cheesy Weir at his best

Blackbird – not bad
When I Paint My Masterpiece – very well done…great to hear solo accoustic
Shade of Grey > blah
The Winners > blah
Easy to Slip > blah
Wass Solo > blah
Heaven Help the Fool – not bad

I was reading the comments and noticed that people have already received it. I wonder how Mountain Girl ended up with those tapes? I take it they must have been with some of Jerry's stuff that she ended up with.

The personal journey of controversial Guns ‘n’ Roses front man Axl Rose has been described as tumultuous at best.   The man famously known for “Welcome to the Jungle” married Erin Everly who was the inspiration for the hit song “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”  Everly is offering a collection of memorabilia never before seen that includes items from the couple’s own personal evolution that began as sweethearts and later led to marriage, the foray into instant rock celebrity and the eventual dissolution of the relationship.  The collection includes candid photographs, their 1990 wedding video and marriage license, Axl Rose’s personal video and publicity worn clothing, a domestic abuse report, love letters and many other items. - See more at: http://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/jerry-garcia-travis-bean-tb500-guitar-auctioned-juliens#sthash.4tErqX5G.dpuf

umm...

Can't remember if Parrish was willed the guitar or not -- did see it while it was at the Hall of Fame.

I was thinking that was the guitar Ramrod's family sold after he died. Maybe not.

Okay, here's a Dead-related live release I can get behind, and will be psyched to order and receive, even though it's "post-coma" Jerry. The only Jerry Garcia Band show I ever saw, 9/5/89, is being released on the 6-CD set Fall 1989: The Long Island Sound. Hmm, a 6-CD set for $35, sure beats a 3-CD set for $28! I loved the Weir/Wasserman set, too, so I'm looking forward to this (though I probably won't preorder from evil corporate overlords Wal-Mart. :lol)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32782065?adid=22222222227000000000&wl0&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=21486607510&wl4&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

This is kind of weird.  No mention of this in the newsletters or almanac, unless i missed it.  i'm definitely interested in this though.  i really liked bob and rob.

Kimock will be touring in Ratdog next year, as well as Wasserman being a second bassist to Sylvester:

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/bob_weir_and_ratdog_announce_2014_dates_with_two_bass_players

I saw Bob & Rob open for JGB in Merriweather. Liked it. Saw Wasserman play with Steve Perkins' Banyan a couple times, too, (along with Nels). 

I saw a Bob & Rob show a few years later then the 89 tour - it was fun. They played the World Music Theater (a shed) in Tinley - I think there may have been a thousand people or so there - it other words it was empty.

That Ratdog line up looks great, hopefully I will hit the Chicago show - as someone mentioned in the comments, I heard that Dave Ellis was going to be part of the line-up, too. I always enjoyed Kenny Brooks' playing - so a horn player would be great.

On the Dead radio show, it was reported that Weir's surgery was a success.

Oh, and if any of you still haven't, give the GD '93 Autzen show or whirl, at least the smoking 9 min Jack Straw-> smokin' 8 m in Bertha. A great Broken Arrow in that first set, too.

It was all about the Standing on the Moon in Eugene in '93.

I might go see Ratdog in Atlanta.  Haven't seen them for years.  It was when Rob was in the band.  Not sure about two bass players.  I don't mind not having a sax player.  I wish Ratdog would record again, that album they put out in 2000 was good.  They've got the material.

What if Jerry would have gotten clean in that rehab shithole he was in and was still alive today?!

A clean Jerry would be like a clean Trey Anastasio. Friggin top of the line every single night! It really would have been something to behold.

Bums me out just thinking about that. Want to scream. What a loss. Trey has certainly been on his game, Phish has been absolutely kicking ass night after night for several years now.